The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Good country neighbors?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good country neighbors?
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Geeesh, I envy you guys who hunt federal land and don't have to deal with landowners. Let me tell you a story about how my evening went. Unfortunately, it's more the rule rather than the exception anymore.

I've got a guy who's been losing fowl to a single coyote. Numerous unsuccessful attempts to call the coyote at the damage site led me to believe that I wasn't anywhere close to the territory and that he was coming through as he ran his homerange. So, I ranged out and decided to try and locate him where I knew he was crossing I-70. It didn't take long. Second stop, a mile from the city limits, I prompt a pack of coyotes to respond to my yip howl. I'm all but certain these are my guys since they're so close to the site (a mile) and it's one of only a couple tracts of cover that will support any type of critter. I know the pasture's owner and go to his house.

"Nope" He's got cattle in there and, in not so many words, it's not his problem. Unfortunately, this is the brand of neighborliness I encounter anymore when trying to solve one guy's problem by killing the coyotes causing the problem which live on another guy's land. Although it's a regular part of the business, it's still very frustrating to deal with people who demonstrate such a lack of consideration for their neighbors.
To top it off, as I was leaving his front porch, he tells me, "If I have any problems with them, I'll give you a yell." I hope he yells really loud since I probably won't hear him too well. [Mad]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seldom Ever
Knows what it's all about
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 03:00 AM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog,this happens everywhere,with everything.People ask me all the time at work to swap weekends with them, but let me ask and they have already made serious plans.People ask me to come to there house and fix there computer,but if I ask a favor in return, they haven't got time or they want paid first. I'ts gotten to the point where I will have to tell friends no or charge them as high a rate as I would a stranger,whether they are friend or relative. I am so disgusted with it I'm thinking of telling everyone no. Last night I spent 4 hours fixing a hunting buddies PC.When he came over to visit the night before,it was only his PC he wanted to bring.Then he e-mailed me and wanted to bring his cousins as well.I spent 4 hours of my time,after working all day,and including a trip to walmart with him to make sure he got the right parts, fixing 2 PC's.What should have earned me 100$, got me a handshake and a thank you.That would be fine if the favor was returned, but the debt is already stacked pretty high in my favor for this guy because I built the computer for him free in the first place.I know when it comes time for him to do me a favor,he won't have time.

I think what it is, is greed.People will not do anything unless they get something out of it.However,they will ask there friends or acquaintances to do lots of things free,because that is part of the game.Everybody wants something for nothing,but won't do anything just to be helping out.

[ June 08, 2003, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Seldom Ever ]

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

Posts: 293 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 12:23 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
My neighbor runs about 2500 sheep. He has sheds about ¾ miles behind our home that he uses for lambing and shearing in the spring. Over the years he has stopped by a few times in the spring to inform us that our dog has been seen near his sheds. He politely informed us if he saw the dog in the area again we would likely not have to feed it the next day. [Smile] I have had a chance to really get to know this guy. He patrols the neighborhood and identifies each neighborhood dog to their owners. When he recognizes a dog where it shouldn’t be he offers a warning after chasing the dog off. This is a neighborly gesture that he affords us. Maybe the exception rather than the rule.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand completely, Bryan. However, as we all know, dogs can't read, and if the only solution is to tie him up, in a country setting, then I guess that's what needs to be done.

I do know that killing a neighbor's dog, out of hand, is not a friendly gesture. Some people treat their pet as a member of the family. A sheep or chicken killing dog is a different problem. A dog that trespasses, causing no harm, is better tolerated than shot. Yell, throw rocks, whatever it takes for him to get the hint. At least he's above board, and not sneaking in, in the dead of night, with sheep on his mind.

I dunno, maybe I'm a softy?

edited for spelling

Good hunting. LB

[ June 08, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31524 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 01:54 PM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope,you got the right attitude Leonard.Dogs have the right to trespass,in most states.What they don't have is the right to destroy property,but neither does the fellow who owns the land the dog is on.

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 02:30 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
SE, not in my county. About ten years ago, a guy lost 34 sheep one night to a trio of marauding dogs. Killed for the fun of it and left. Guy 1/2 mile way owned these three dogs and had them indoors before the light of day. No one could ever prove that his dogs did it, but the everyone knew for sure. Needless to say, the county commissioners passed a resolution stating that any dog running at large and on his owner's property, or on property to which the dog's owner has permission to trespass is within the law. Now, if that same dog is cought out of bounds, he's fair game. Of course, it'd take a real harda$$ to just go to blowing away every dog he comes across, and it certainly doesn't happen. But, if the dog is causing damage, the fella incurring the damage has the county behind him in protecting what is his. As for me, it pets me wrong to shoot a dog. Can't explain it but it's a whole lot different than shooting a couple hundred coyotes. The only time I've done that is when the dog was obviously wild and totally unsociable, and even then, it was with reservations. Last dog I caught in a trap was this old grizzled looking blue heeler. I approached with caution and he just laid there looking at me. Let him sniff my hand and he wagged his tail. Released him from the trap and examined his foot. No damage. He's licking my face and all but crawling in my lap. I finally had to just pull the trap and leave since he was so starved for attention, he wouldn't let me re-set. Watched him trot for home without so much as a limp.

In the case about which I started this thread, this is a confirmed coyote. He appears randomly, usually in the mid- to late morning, strangely enough. He usually just saunters into this guys yard behind his nursery and picks his lunch from the buffet. I can see the guy's outbuildings from the place where I got the response last night and I know for all but certain that I've got my problem located. What irks me is the total lack of consideration this guy that owns the pasture is showing for his neighbor. I know it's his perogative, but he just held this "it's not MY problem" attitude. And if and when it becomes HIS problem, it will be just that - HIS and only HIS. I'll continue to scout the area and try to locate their travel routes and snipe them as time allows. Used to be a time when a guy found out he was harboring evil doers and gladly allowed anyone who had the expertise to move in and neutralize the situation. In this case, he's got a half-section of grassland, about two dozen cattle on there grazing and he's scared about me shooting in there. I've yet to shoot a cow, either on purpose or by mistake, and got a couple dozen references to stand behind that. Oh well. What goes around will come around in time. In the meantime, I'll let the complainant know that I could fix his problem, then tell him why I can't.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 02:55 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog, I have a neighbor. A real D*ck. Him and his boy are into deer management and also raising pheasants and releasing. He wants NO ONE on his property except his buddies.

The coyotes are eating his pheasants like dog food everytime he does a release of about 50-100 pheasants. By the time they are done, there might be a few left. He's complaining all the time about the coyotes, but will never shoot at any because it might spook the deer or turkey. He won't let me on the property to hunt them either.

About two months ago, he drug a deer that was killed on the road to the middle of his one field. Why, he was going to start shooting some coyotes. He made the perfect setup. I've been watching for weeks the coyotes feeding on that deer and just walking off when they get full.

Now, I could very easily set up across the road on our property, but, nah, let the jerk suffer. He's been complaining in his store how I wasn't apparently able to keep the coyote population down. He also stated that I must not know what I'm doing. And to top it off, I'm no hunter, I just must have gotten lucky.

heh... yup, I'm going into coyote management now... hahahaha [Big Grin]

Let em breed! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Crow Woman

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 03:10 PM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Cdog,I've always thought the law allowing dogs to trespass was wrong,but it is the law here.

Only dog I ever shot was my own English pointer,because it was trying to kill my lab and wouldn't stop. I took a plastic waterpipe to him and he still kept on chewing,so I shot him and buried him.He learned a lesson.

I told the neighbor if her pit bull got loose and bit my grandsons again,I'd kill it.She told me she better not see me do it,I told her she'd never know it.She got rid of the dog.

Seems to me if you're patient enough, sooner or later the troublesome coyote will present an opportunity,hopefully one of your own making.What about baiting him?

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 03:31 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn’t want to give the impression that my neighbor wasn’t being neighborly. I can imagine many wool growers would shoot on the spot without warning especially during lambing season. I wouldn’t blame him for doing so to protect his livelihood. I thought it was nice to be informed that my dog was wandering and have a chance to take measures to prevent it rather than having him just come up missing one day. It hasn’t been a problem for several years now.

If we had a problem with animals causing trouble in our neighborhood, it would be a community problem and would work together to rectify it, especially, if the solution was as simple as granting access to a skilled responsible hunter.

SE, If that dog had bitten a member of my family there wouldn’t be an opportunity for a next time.

Cdog, practice up on your “I told you so’s” you will get your chance. [Smile]

Crow Woman, Maybe you will have a shot at a 70# Pheasant fed coyote someday if he crosses the wrong fence. [Smile] LOL

sporterweight
Member # 189

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 03:43 PM      Profile for sporterweight   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
cdog911,
I agree seems that mentality is multipling nowadays.I hate hearing crap like"thars cattle down thar boy-you fire a gun and it will richochet and kill them all!!then somebody will sue me for everything I'm worth!!People always say these stupid old wives tales about things they know nothing about."I did some scouting this weekend to no avail.."What do they think you're going to do just start shooting into the woods and pasture and hope for the best!! [Mad] [Frown]
That shooting of dogs can escalate into a serious fued,as it did when I was growing up.One person shot anothers dog then they returned the favor.Before it was all over I believe 6 steers and 2 horses were killed.Plus other property destroyed.I got a saying of my own--old saying stay around for a reason-their true.Two wrongs don't make a right!!
It seems the world has really changed alot in the last 10-12 years. Sporterweight

--------------------
You got space invaders ?-No
You got pac-man ?-No
You got asteroids ?-No -but dad does -can hardly sit on the toilet somedays.

Posts: 91 | From: Meridian ,Idaho | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 04:04 PM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bryan,

I had to do it by the book,I was forced into it.My grandkids came running in the house bleeding,and told me what happened.I grabbed the shotgun loaded with number 4's and headed outside,but the neighbor had already locked the dog inside the house.So I did the next best thing,I called the law and the Animal Control office.She paid a 200$ fine and had to board the dog at cost at the pound for 10 days.

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

sporterweight
Member # 189

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 04:56 PM      Profile for sporterweight   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Crow Woman
Your neighbor is mistaken about the coyote eating pheasant.I emailed the dnr here to ask some questions about making property more suitable for quail/pheasant.They said coyote/bobcat/fox had NO effect on them or other small game.They must all just live in harmony out there!!
The DNR-game wardens I call them-don't seem like the hunter/outdoorsman type to me.

--------------------
You got space invaders ?-No
You got pac-man ?-No
You got asteroids ?-No -but dad does -can hardly sit on the toilet somedays.

Posts: 91 | From: Meridian ,Idaho | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 05:17 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
SE, Like sporterweight said and I agree, there is more than one way to eliminate the opportunity. Make sure the kid didn’t provoke the animal, and go from there.
Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 05:38 PM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
The dog is already gone,she got rid of it when I explained the consequences of not gettinbg rid of it.The animal control officer mentioned lawsuit,which seemed to galvanize here in the right direction.

sporterweight,there are few quail left in WV,partly because they covey in circles at night for warmth,I've seen them doing it while coon hunting.This circling for warmth instinct makes them easy prey for foxes.Add in overhunting,little cropland,natural predation,and you get the picture.

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 04:54 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Those 70 +pound pheasant fed coyotes are looking really nice. As soon as the hay gets off, I'm going to take 20tnt calls out in the field and get some action going. I've played with it some and came up with a fawn sound by blowing very little air into the chamber while cupping and rolling release the end of it with my hand.

ok... different tangent here on what really erks me:

What gets my goat everytime are these people that come out into the country and build up houses all over. There mentality is that just because they live in the country now, means that their dogs have the entire free roam policy now too. I have gone to many new places and asked them, please, Please do not let their dogs run at night. I've explained to them, that I use no artificial lighting and sometimes, it is difficult to protect their dogs butt when a couple of coyotes come after them which I have witnessed a couple of times. You'll read one story in my book about this titled "The Hunter or The Hunted." The majority of the time, they are very thankful and had no idea of the coyotes in the area. But once in awhile, you get some dumb ones.

I'm glad that I can get through to most of them, but it erks me that I even have to take the time to talk with them on the issue. Do the real estate people advertise, house in the country, room to let dog run for miles??!!??

I'm done venting [Frown]

Crow Woman

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Purple220
Member # 173

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 05:29 AM      Profile for Purple220   Email Purple220         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, some of those folks , especially the ones with loose dogs, wouldn't make it too long here in Texas. Lots of sheep ranchers here and free ranging dogs are not tolerated. If they are not on THEIR owners property, they become targets just like a yote. I have worked around some of these ranches all my life and raise a high priced breed of sheep. A ram will go from 500-1500. I personally have lost lambs and ewes due to dogs. I have shot many dogs that have crossed the line, property line that is.

--------------------
Predator Control Specialist......Here Kitty Kitty

Posts: 154 | From: Big Spring,Tx | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Raven
Member # 204

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 07:31 PM      Profile for Raven   Email Raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Atleast you guys are living the high life in the hills. I can look at my window and see into my neighbors house.
My nextdoor neighbor has two pit bulls. Let me tell you, these dogs are almost 100 lbs a peice and my three year old treats them like their rag dolls and they just lick here back. When my daughter tells them to shut up, they usually duck their heads and cower.
My neighbors have a shoty fence that hardly holds the dog's back when they decide to roam. (Not their fault, it's their land lord's job to fix the fence) So naturally from time to time they get out and do a little of wandering. No damage to anything, no biting any one, no dog fights. They just get out and sniff the neighborhood.
We have a neighbor that lives on the end of the block, who just can't resist keeping her old bent nose outta everyone else's business. Well this lady called the cops and said that "Two viscious looking dogs" were wandering the streets and she was terrified to go out to her car. So the cops came and picked em' up, took them to the pound.
My friend had to pay 200 dollars for each dog just to get them back! She even had to go to court over the whole thing! Ended up costing her 800 for her landlord not fixing the fence!! So much for being a good neighbor! That woman could have told my friend that her dogs were out, and saved my friend 800 and the embarassment of going to court!
I walked out my back door the other day to get into my car. The dogs were in my yard. I just closed gate behind them, left them in my yard and told my friend to come and get 'em. My fence is better than hers! I didn't do it cause she was my friend, or in debt far enough, or even because I liked the dogs. I did it cause I would want someone to do the same for me. I hate to get up on my high horse about this, but why can't other people do the same?

--------------------
A steak is a terrible thing to waste!

Posts: 38 | From: Killeen TX | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
btt
Here's something that bites. I finally caught up to the complainant on this coyote to tell him what the landowner I decribed earlier had said to me. He was rightly disappointed, but then he gave me the bad news. Three mornings ago, at just after 9 a.m., that danged coyote waltzed right thru his lot, crossed the highway, and sat out there right smack in front of God and everybody on his mangey, boney li'l butt atching his geese and peacocks for better than a half hour. It appears on random days, but always within 15 minutes one way or the other of 9:15. It makes his approach down a fencerow, travels right along a bisecting fencerow grown over with trees and less than a hundred yards from the backyards bordering the edge of town where he crosses through and crosses the owner's land. Well, tomorrow morning, weather permitting, I'll be in that hedgerow, ghillie'd and armed to the teeth. Next morning, too. If he shows either of those days, all I have to figure out is how to whack him on an open field two hundred yards from where about a dozen elderly women take their morning walk. Hopefully, the women won't be there, I can take my shot, then slip away and come in sans ghillie after the last echoes fade away, thus avoiding being arrested or something equally inconvenient. Either way, it's personal now. And quoting Raven, "Cdog's coming and hell's coming with him" [Mad] (loved that movie, I'm in Abilene and Wild Bill was our marshal here. Great history.).

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters