The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » misguided and uncomprehending...... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: misguided and uncomprehending......
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 12:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
an unfortunate combination.

I almost want to give up as a hopeless task, help for those pitiful souls, laboring in darkness. The arguments are baffling. From charter members of the Flat Earth Society no doubt? I'm sure the motives are genuine, but the theories are flawed. (my apologies to those involved, I can't help it)

Good hunting. LB --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31461 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 03:58 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna go out on a long limb and ass-u-me that I know what you're talking about. And, agree. Been over there a couple times this week. Still carrying a grudge, aren't they. All the little Johnbots are running around, bumping into and bouncing off one another in a tizzy because someone dared challenge the almighty Oz.

Admittedly, there was a time when I willfully lived in a rut - using the same old techniques and strategies that everyone else, everywhere else was using. Then, an epiphone. I began learning of innovative "new" developments in calling coyotes. Howling, misting, ... just to name two. I was born again and baptized into the church of the one true coyote god,... actually, godS.

I feel sorry for those fellas that will forego trying something new on the simple word of a hypocritical has-been and a nobody whose never tried either, and whose comments are jaded by old water under a long ago gone bridge. They go to that board to learn, yet all they get for their time is the same old threadbare commentary on how "he" would do it, if he were them. Too bad. So many opportunities to learn and so much to see, if only they didn't blind themselves to the truth. Beware of false gods. Beware.

Now, Leonard, if I am, in fact, not correct in my assumption about what you're talking about...well,...never mind. [Smile]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 04:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
They won't be silenced, yeah I think you know where I'm coming from.

It's not that we need more animosity, there is already enough. It's that the arguments have no basis in fact, bewildering, coming from otherwise intelligent men. Men, to whom I don't wish to show disrespect; it's their imperfect logic that is glaringly apparent.

"Pumping piss" is a metaphor conveying ridicule, but it's blowing back in their faces, not ours. The misting technique is not intended to replace such things as intelligent stand selection, and it's no more of an impediment in taking an offered shot than dropping a hand call would be.

The main theme is not; that I've tried it and am not impressed. Rather; it appears to hold no value? Not a particularly intelligent position, from otherwise intelligent people. I'm trying to (not) insult.,,,hopefully?

But, yes. It sounds like you know what I'm talking about. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 05:37 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years back [Wink] , I underwent training in Incident Command as part of being an officer in the fire service and EMS. Each component of ICS is taught as yet another tool that is kept in this well-stocked toolbox. We were trained to understand that not all the "tools" would be used on each and every incident. Rather, we just knew that we had all the tools available to us and it was our job to recognize the need for them, and to appropriately apply them when and where necessary.

Misting is a hunter's tool. Your prior experience and all the little tricks you've learned over the years are the "toolbox". No one said you have to use misting on each and every stand, nor did I (or you) imply that the whole of calling should be re-defined with its use. It's a tool. One of many. If and when you find yourself considering a setup where the wind is against you, for example, and the only aproach you have is to the downwind, it's one of two clear options - use misting to confound, or abandon the setup and move on down the road.

Howling, as time-tested and proven as it is, is just another tool. Not everyone uses howling, and of those that do, most don't use it ALL the time. The circumstances found at the time dictate what and how you set up for the stand. It's the responsibility of the reader to learn when and where to apply this and other tools.

Of special note, there are still several comments being offered that infer that we offered misting as a "cover scent". Hard to believe that, since I spent several paragraphs debunking that entire concept. Makes me wonder how many of those guys are trying to shoot holes in an article without the courtesy of even reading it first. That's what I call blind, misguided allegiance.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
catskin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 06:05 PM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Hogwash. You guys have been ragging on JH and that board for ages and have even admitted in your own way that the part of your aversion towards the 17 calibers in general is due to JH’s zeal for the same. Now you’re getting a little of that back and oh you’re so hurt because they think you’re idiots. You’re easily baited that’s what and spend far too much time worrying about the poor misguided souls over there. (Said the kettle to the pot eh?)

No I’ve never tried your misting pee, most likely never will being that Oregon thinks as highly of night hunters as you think about Airedales.

Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
John/Alaska
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 06:07 PM      Profile for John/Alaska   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting! If "mist" is at the center of the "subject" then I do know what "society" is up in arms. Amazes me the closed mindedness that goes on within that diety. I'm I close??

Edited for catskin that says I'm close enough for granades!

[ January 08, 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: John/Alaska ]

Posts: 62 | From: Tok Alaska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 06:12 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I dropped in to see if anything new or worthwile had been offered. There are only three or four loyal minions that can not let go of a subject that they obviuosly do not understand. Condemning an idea or theory that they have never tried simply because Baal ridiculed it removes all credibility from their position. If they did indeed read the article they did not comprehend it.
Watching them fervently debunk theories that were not espoused can be entertaining.

IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gawd,
I don't know where I fit in. Maybe I just don't. I'm not a mister, and I don't own an airedale or shoot a 17 Rem. What will I do!?
The same thing I been doing all along, calling coyotes and shooting them. What I don't understand is why those guys (the dark place) are in such a tizzy about it. If someone want to mist or not mist, what it really gets down to for me is this, if you make the same stands as you always did and use the same calls at the right time and think the mist helps once in a while, GREAT. I don't think it could possibly hurt anything. If I don't use it up here I'm sure no one will care. If I thought it would help once in a while I might try it, but I call big open country and don't get, or want, coyotes in shotgun range, so I see no practical use for me. BUT, if Leonard or CDog was coming up here tommorrow to call with me, and wanted to mist, I'd say have at it. BECAUSE I can't see that it would hurt a damn thing. Thats the thing,... is that I can find no valid argument against it. So why the big deal? If you want to bathe in it that would be fine too!! I trap enough to know that the smell of coyote piss isn't going to hurt anything around a calling stand. If you told me that you wanted to call only downwind stands with the sun in your face and wear your best hunter orange jumpsuit and do jumping jacks to keep warm until the coyote got there, we might have a problem, but if you want to use a little squirt of coyote perfume here and there, I may not be a beleiver that it would really help, but I know for a fact it isn't going to be the cause of coyotes lost.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
S.Frame
Member # 89

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 06:41 PM      Profile for S.Frame           Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog, for being a professional, published, apparently popular purveyor of pre-polished predator pabulum, you sure have mighty thin skin judging by your reaction to this whole silly dust up.

I bet article rejections REALLY put you off your feed. You’d best get used to a little criticism if this is what you intend to pursue, and find a more healthy and mature outlet for ego relief (if its any consolation, you are not alone in this respect).

quote:
Been over there a couple times this week. Still carrying a grudge, aren't they. All the little Johnbots are running around, bumping into and bouncing off one another in a tizzy because someone dared challenge the almighty Oz.
How so? I’ve been over there myself a few times this week, and other than two or three “pitiful souls” laboring in the mire of supposed darkness (caused by a thick black cloud of healthy skepticism), no one else on the Coyotegods board gives all that much a shit about it. Don’t flatter yourself. Very few care. The only “tizzy” that exists is the one that is presently occurring between your left and right ears.

quote:
Admittedly, there was a time when I willfully lived in a rut - using the same old techniques and strategies that everyone else, everywhere else was using. Then, an epiphone.
An EPIPHONE !! Leave it you "cutting edge" writer types.

Now THAT sounds new and innovative; at least I’ve never heard of one.
Two way communication? Is it cellular, or does it use land lines? I can’t wait for THAT article to light my path.

Leonard, you are right, it IS hopeless.

[Wink]

Hunt more; read and write less.

Posts: 27 | From: AhiA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Exasperating, ain't it, Rich?

I'd really like to leave the waters unmuddied by excluding all the detours such as 25'06s versus .17 caliber. My dislike of severteen caliber coyote rifles has nothing to do with anybody's enthusiasm for them. It's simply because they don't work very well, and it's a personal choice.

But, don't think for a minute that I'm afraid to express my opinion on the subject, which, in turn has gotten me in trouble with our friend on the dark side.

So, I ask you, WHO has been doing the "ragging" for ages. We are just a camp of refugees, having been banished from the dark side, with absolutely no hard feelings. Truly.

But, enough of that. (at least for me) Anybody wants to pursue that line is welcome to do so, but it is totally beside the point of discussion.

This is as basic as Republican versus Democrat, dog versus cat, and ......gulp: good versus evil.

I can't believe all the closed minds that shout "hogwash" and choose to attack me in my own house! Just kidding on that one, catskin. I appreciate you speaking your mind, but I couldn't disagree with you more.

Good hunting. LB

Shaun, as your buddy alluded to, in a post not long ago; to some of us, it might be considered a talent to be able to spell a word more than one way...such as: Epiphany

And, furthermore, one of my writer friends tells me that that is exactly why they have editors.

[ January 08, 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 09:22 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
It is probably me that should apologize for stirring it over there. I was confused. I haven’t tried misting yet but have wanted to from the first time I read about it here. I couldn’t see the argument against it other than what Wily E. pointed out here, so I opened a door that I hoped would give some good reasons why the theory doesn’t float over there, other than the personality conflict. I can see why now and it wouldn’t serve much of a purpose to push the issue. I knew what I was getting into over there and Mr. Frame’s warm welcome confirmed it. So I took Mr. Frame’s advice and here I am. Thanks for tolerating me.

The article was well written, and I know Lance didn’t do a few interviews and throw that together to be submitted. I know Lance did the field work first, if it didn’t work for him, he wouldn’t have submitted it. He drove the confusion aspect home perfectly.

I’m sorry if my curiosity, stirred it up again.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
catskin
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 09:37 PM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
Disagree with me?!? Why you close-minded pitiful soul.

LOL - You all take yourselves too seriously.

Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 05:02 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure wish that article had mentioned the main purpose of misting, was as a tool for hunting at night.

No, I've never tried it myself. But I have done plenty of night hunting, and can see where it could stop the animal, long enough to make the shot.

Tom's a hell of a hunter, and really is a great guy. But he's lived here in AZ for most all of his life, and I don't think he's had a lot of experience hunting at night.

Night hunting is a different game than daytime hunting, but until you've tried it, you just don't notice the differences.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 07:48 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
LMAO, Frame.

No tizzy here. I've been writing and getting published for going on 13 years now about calling, trapping, and other topics. I learned a long time ago that I'm opening myself up to criticism anytime I put an article out there. Not a problem for me. More often than not, it's from self-righteous people like yourself who lack any semblance of objectivity. That's part of the problem here, albeit a small one. The question that begs to be asked is why read about it if it's not something you're willing to consider, let alone try? Change the damned channel, son.

Whittle this issue down to the brass tacks and you'll see the real issue. It has NOTHING to do with piss, misting, or me, for that matter. What we have had here is a public attack on the credibility of two people - Leonard and Rich "Hercules Higgins"- by JH. Plain and simple. What you guys fail to acknowledge or fear to encounter is the fact that Leonard acquired this technique from better callers than JH, or you and has been using it himslef for 30 years. Rich has hour after hour of video footage espousing the benefits of misting. I've got copies. I've seen it. The proof is in the pudding. And, as Bryan pointed out, I didn't just send a couple query e-mails out and then toss together the responses and peddle it off on the first rag that would pay me for it. I spent countless hours on the phone with Rich discussing the merits of misting, the demerits, if you will, and so on. I went to the field and tried it myself. I successfully demonstrated it to die-hard old school callers - the guys that taught me how to call years ago - and, in the end, decided that it was something that might benefit others. And therein lies the reason I wrote the article.

It's there. Take it or leave it. Use it or don't. But, if you have issue with Leonard or Rich, or me for that matter, leave the article and the subject of misting out of it unless and until you can provide proof that it does NOT work. I challenge you to do just that because I know you'll not be able to do it.

And, again, you're riding the coattails of a coward. He bans those that choose to disagree with him, then continues with veiled insults and innuendo in a forum where he knows those he criticizes cannot respond. He lurks on this board and others, reading the commentary offered, yet lacks the testicular fortitude to even log in and defend his own credibility. Worse yet, he sits back and allows misguided Johnbots like yourself to come in this house and take a bullet on his behalf. Do you even get a kiss with that screwin'?

There are questions on the table that beg his answer. And Bruce has several more. He's the one that started this pissing match. He's the one that publicly attacked the credibility of men like Rich and Leonard and then chose to run back into his little rat hole and cower behind his own walls where others cannot get him. Bruce, and the rest of us, are awaiting his response. Frankly, I think he owes several of us a public apology, not for criticizing the article. Because that wasn't his point. His point, and his motivation, was to take a cheap shot at men he doesn't get along with. Due, largely, to the fact that he lacks the knowledge, the experience, the objectivity, and the aptitude to pull the same stunt outside his own maximum security board where he will be subjected to the scrutiny of the calling public. What's the deal? Is he married to your sister or what? Geez!

Oh, and be forewarned. You might want to get John lined up with a good therapist now. I just finalized the details and text on an upcoming piece about Q where we outline the principles behind his unique way of hunting coyote. Of course, those that have been there and seen how he works will tell you it is unlike anyone else's way of calling. And, of course, on the dark side, this means it must be discredited and deemed invalid and ludicrous. But, Q has the pictures, fur receipts and a buttload of witnesses to cover his back - just the same way that Rich and Leonard do. So, don't attack me. I'm just the mis-bred, hare-lipped idiot that gets to write the story. [Razz]

Leonard... Damn!!! As I was typing "epiphone", I was actually thinking to myself, "Leonard busted me on misspelling this the last time I used it. Where's my dictionary? Screw it. I think this is right." [Smile]

(Edited to re-misspell "epiphone", because if it ain't spelled that way in Leonard's dictionary,... it oughtta be.)

[ January 09, 2004, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

bucksnort
Miss Chris from AZ
Member # 202

Icon 2 posted January 09, 2004 08:55 AM      Profile for bucksnort   Email bucksnort         Edit/Delete Post 
For catskin and S. Frame:

22mag, akperrydog, Andy4021, Askel, badger dave, BarryW, Brian Bentley, Bruce A. Kennedy, Buckrun,
Bucky, Bwana, californiacoyotes, Calvin, Cas in Alaska, Cdog911, china hand, Christopher, Contender, coyotefred, CoyoteKid, CoyoteSeeker, Crittergetter, Curt, dances with prairie dogs, desertrat,
Dog Hunter, Doug, eric, Eric A. Mayer, Foreman4x4, Garu, george washington, Gino, Goat,
Gonzo 243, Greenside, Greg, gunslinger, Harold, Hitman243, Hugh, Huntingfool, Huntinghound, Jason El Paso, JessMan, Jim Houck, Joe H. in CA, Joe MOMMA!, JoeF, John Alden, john w, Jon El Paso,
jonny, kannon, Kirk in Wyoming, ksboy, lucmo, Mad Man Mark, mark b, martinezr, Matt N, matthewp45,
mauser, MeBrian, Merle, MI VHNTR, Moonbarker, moses man, Mrgunslinger, NASA, NDhunter, nebraska,
Nighteye, Nil, bopeye, Peter J. Hoffman, Phillip Evans, PUP, Randy Buker, Randy in Alaska, redfeather, rhino99, Robb Scottsdale AZ, robert parsons, rocketsled, Rolfe, ruger#1, sabotage,
sagebrush, savage1, SAW, scot45, Scott MN, Scott Young, scriley, Silverfox, slink, songdogger,
southern boy, steveshelley, Stinky Bear, Str8 Shooter, tdfelder, Terry Hunter, the trapper, Timberking, TRcuda, WarNerve, Whipstick, wildoats, Wood, yodehunter, Yotie Man, Zeke

Where did they all go??????????

[ January 10, 2004, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: bucksnort ]

--------------------
"There are lion chasers, lion catchers, and lying SOB's."

"Warriors of El Gato - The Lion"

Posts: 368 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 09:06 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
John Alden???
What the heck did Alden do to get the boot?

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
bucksnort
Miss Chris from AZ
Member # 202

Icon 7 posted January 09, 2004 09:24 AM      Profile for bucksnort   Email bucksnort         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, I doubt if most on this list got the boot. I know some did, but I think most just saw the light and said enough is enough and didn't come back. If there are names on this list who feel they should not be on this list, let me know, and I will remove the name(s).

--------------------

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 10:02 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
The old swamp rat living down here in the tidal marsh is totally confused.

I don't know every one by there fist name. I can tell you what I do know. I posted one time on J.H."s board. I stated that I had 43 years calling experience. With out knowing a thing about me. He posted that I had one year experience 43 times. I may be dumb, But it did not take but one time for me to know. That this man needs something I do not have the letters behind my name, To provide him with.

The other thing I know.

It is your stand partner. If you won't to shoot a 17HMR, Or a 450 Lott. That is you're business, Not mine. If you wont to burn Fracensence, And Mirth on you're stand, Again that is you're business.

If I can't clam you on my income tax as a dependent. What right do I have to tell you how to spend you're time, And money. Now if you call or write me asking what I think of you're 450 Lott. Then I will tell you what I think.

Now if you choose to go some place, And roll around in Bull SH&t. Expect to come back smelling like it.

I come here to share in the success of my brother hunters. Also to pick up big, And little things that will make me a better hunter. Not to tell you how you should run YOU'RE stand.

Now how will crawl back into my swamp, And shut up.

If you don't like this post. Please save the time responding. Because quite frankly I don't give a flying F. I have my opinion of who is the real thing here, And the one's who think tearing them down, Will make them the real thing. I don't think it will change any time soon.

P.S. Wont to guess who woke up with a abscessed tooth?.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MJM
Member # 270

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 10:03 AM      Profile for MJM           Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce I'd be proud to be added to that list since I didn't even get the oppertunity to step on the Coyote Gods porch, let alone knock on his door.

[ January 09, 2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: MJM ]

Posts: 97 | From: Tucson, Az | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 11:34 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan J., did I send you a video? I believe I did. Watch the first coyote at the beginning. After he walks around to the far right, downwind ,you can see him stick his nose out and into the stream and you can see exactly when he gets a snootful of me. Instinct and reflex jerk him around 180 degrees and hauls a$$ for all of 15 feet before all the other smells obviously rein him in. For the next several minutes he stands 10 yards away looking at me from a couple of angles and the entire time that nose is working hard.
It does not work that way every time. Nothing does when calling coyotes. It does work very well and often enough that you can see dozens of coyotes on that video with the puzzled look on their faces and the nose working hard. Some remain for only a short time others for as long as 90 minutes for the loud aggressive male and the two females were 18 minutes for the one in the canyon and 22 minutes for the one that you can see rooftops in the background. Much of that behavior was filmed with the coyote straight downwind and ALL of it was filmed in daylight. Paradigm Baal launched CGII two years ago and I understand that he has filmed around ten minutes of useable video in that time. Tyler and I have filmed 21 hours of good film in that time. Perhaps John should reconsider his position on the matter.
BTW, any EXPERIENCED caller will instantly recognize that stand selection dictates the use of mist. I never use it when calling coyotes to the gun in terrain with high visibility. I always use it when calling in close cover or if they can approach downwind unseen. And I ALWAYS use it when calling to the camera because regardless of their approach they WILL wind up downwind. The mist allows me to continue to film them after they do.
Shaun, Catskin, Daryl and J-H, I invite any and all of you to hunt with me and I will demonstrate the effectiveness of the mist. Will any of you invite me calling with you to show me that it does not work?

[ January 09, 2004, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

IP: Logged
pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 12:20 PM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
Bucksnort,

I am still here, I have just been busy building porches to P off of, mist or otherwise.

I went to that spot one time, scary....

It is upsetting to see Rich Higgins attacked in any form.

I got in an arguement here once, not sure it profitted anything.

I was told about misting from Rich Higgins(thanks again Rich). The only thing I have to say on Leonard's misting technique.

It works for me.

I hope that whinning bunch never likes misting, howling, lip squeaking, butt cushions, shooting sticks, camo, 20 calibers, radial tires, power steering, interstates, ATM's, Plastic bobbers, laptops, ziplock bags, green chilli's, Danner boots, wal-mart, Sonic, Super 8, Pizza Hut, or anything new or different than what they think has made them the deity they think they are.

later pup

Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 12:22 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce - So much effort to be inducted into the BUBBA's and none of my web handles appear on the list. I'm hurt.

Ronnie - Owww!!! [Frown] Hope you get it fixed up and soon. Pullin' for ya. If it makes you feel any better, I spent the morning runnign traps with a sinus infection and the squirts. [Smile] (Made you smile)

MJM - If you've gained nothing from these threads, you should know just how easy it is to be the BUBBA. You just gotta commit, man.

Rich- Allow me to expound on my most glaring example of how misting worked for me. It was last January. A Saturday morning. Because of everything I'd learned from you and seen with my own two eyes regarding howling, I felt deeply compelled to return an old debt to a longtime friend and calling mentor. Several years ago, after buying a songdog, he'd asked me to show him how to howl. At that point, I hadn't benefited from the generous tutelage of someone like yourself, so I told him what I knew, which in retrospect, was relatively little. Long story less long, I called him and told him I'd pick him up early and we'd go howl a coyote. And I did.

The first stand was spent with me explaining to him what I was doing and why, what I expected and how I'd likely handle any of the various reactions by coyotes that might come up. The second stand was spent going over some of the main points I'd forgotten on stand one.

The third stand was at a place that often produces coyotes for me. Before leaving the truck, I told Joe that we were playing this one by the book. As I inventoried my pockets for toys, he saw my piss-tol and asked about it. I told him that because the only way we could set this place up on this day was with a tailwind, I was going to use misting to maybe buy me a second or two. The look on his face told me that he was thinking, "What the hell....?", so I explained it to him. Joe's been trapping and snaring coyotes longer than he's been calling them, and that's a damned long time, so making the leap from urine as a fear alleviator(sp? Leonard?) in trapping to playing the same role in calling was not a problem at all for him.

We snuck into our seats with Joe about twenty feet to my right. Then, as OUTLINED IN THE RECENT ARTICLE "COYOTE NIRVANA...", I sprayed a generous dose of pee into the air and howled X2. Couple minutes later, I did it again. About this time, a big ol' white dog coyote comes trotting out of the brome grass a hundred yards across this oxbow from me and comes right straight at me on a steady trot. From straight downwind, mind you. This is a mature dog, too, with a very impressive ruff mane framing his face, those little pig eyes beneath that broad brow. Impressive, but not as impressive as what happened next.

He stops at about thirty yards downwind of me and just stands there. He sticks his schnoz up in the air and just sucks it in. I spray some more. He hears the sound of the pump and looks right at me. The breeze carries the spray pattern at him and as soon as it gets to him, that old nose goes straight up in the air again. He must like it because now, he sits down. Over the course of the next several minutes, he stands, he sits, he cocks his head at me, and he occasionally looks back over his shoulder. When he does, I sprayed, I yelped on the howler. At one point, I even leaned out so he could see my silhouette from the tree I was using for backing, and gave him the ol' Princess Di wave. He just cocked his head to one side and looked at me with his tongue hanging out. I looked over at Joe whose sitting there with this possum grin from one side of his face to the other. I looked down at the watch I have on the stock of my rifle (use that to make sure I stay on stand the right amount of time) and I've held that coyote 30 yards downwind of me on one-inch tall winter wheat for twelve minutes. I finally ran the thing off cause I didn't feel like killing it, stood up and looked at Joe. He was still grinning. So I asked him how many chances he might have had to shoot that coyote in the past fifteen minutes. Literally, thousands!
He stood up, looped his sling over his shoulder and tells me, "I've been calling coyotes for better'n forty years and that's the goddamnest thing I've ever seen. If I hadn't seen it myself, I never would have believed you. But,... damn!"

What more can you say?

--------------------

bucksnort
Miss Chris from AZ
Member # 202

Icon 7 posted January 09, 2004 02:00 PM      Profile for bucksnort   Email bucksnort         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooopppppssss! Cdog911, you are now official. You are on the list. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's quite a story, Lance.

You almost have me believing it! Just kidding.

I don't mess around with coyotes often enough, to see similiar. Because, I shoot them, first chance I get. That's all I want out of the deal, a clear shot at a missed coyote, that managed to get downwind of me.

My standard experience is when seeing a coyote moving through breaks in the cover. I can see where he is headed, and that's fine with me because I know that if I keep pumping that mist downwind, that's where he will stop and give me a shot. I'd hate to have to tell you how many times it's happened, but it's no fluke.

As Rich wrote above, there are stands where it isn't going to do you much good, and there are plenty of spots where misting is the overriding reason why I make my stand where I do.

I find that misting always has value when night hunting, regardless of the type of cover.

On the other hand, making daylight stands in wide open rolling hills with stunted sage brush, I hardly bother with mist. Visibility.

Free advice. Those AZ guys don't know how much of an advantage that misting gives a hunter ON DAYLIGHT STANDS, in heavy cover. It's a damn shame to poo poo a valuable technique out of hand, based solely on petty animosities. He's got people that believe anything he says, right or wrong.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tonlocus
Member # 254

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 04:51 PM      Profile for tonlocus   Email tonlocus         Edit/Delete Post 
OK guys, I'm sold. Where do I get some "high quality coyote piss"?
Posts: 76 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters