The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Gray Wolf Poisoned

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gray Wolf Poisoned
Rob
Knows what it's all about
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2004 12:40 PM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
U.S Fish&Wildlife Service agents confirmed poisoning as the cause of death of a grey wolf in Idaho.The collard wolf was found to have been killed by a poison known as Compound 1080.The animal's carcass was found 6 miles Northwest of Clayton,Idaho,in the Squaw Creek drainage 0n May 18,2003.

--------------------
"Where did all these #$%^&* Indians come from?" Gen. George Armstrong Custer

Posts: 224 | From: Clancy Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2004 01:36 PM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Well now-- is that a new type of lead alloy or powder ?(Compound 1080) Maybe combination of both!
Posts: 42 | From: Glendale AZ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2004 02:40 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
DJ,

1080 (aka, sodium monofluoracetate) is worth a google and you'll find it was used for years in drop baits for coyote control. One thing's for sure, it isn't naturally occuring. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the LD50 for wolves has to be some astronomical amount of toxin and a single dose would pose quite a threat to just more than wolves. I guess someone up there just doesn't like wildlife. Imagine that.

[ January 25, 2004, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2004 04:15 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
This kind of stuff is only going to get worse, I think. Too many peoples livelyhoods at stake.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 11 posted January 25, 2004 05:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's so simple, and of course, the Bureaucrats can't figure it out. Allow them to be hunted as a predator outside of sanctuaries. Same thing as the California lion issue. (don't get me started)

This country may yet be divided. There is such a chasm between liberals and conservatives, Dems and Republicans, that I don't see how we can co-exist much longer without them sanctimonious bastards voting away our rights and our way of life.

Hopefully, I won't live to see it.

Good hnting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 06:12 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I agree, Like a good friend of mine from Indiana, Dr. Bob Wendt, told me a couple months ago. " Steve, you and I are going to die just in time". I hate to say it, but he is right.
Steve

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bluetrapper
Member # 288

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 06:44 AM      Profile for Bluetrapper   Email Bluetrapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I hunted elk north of Yellow Pine in the Frank Church in 1999,wonderful elk habitat ruined by wolves.The few elk that were left stayed up in the rocks and wouldn't bugle in the best part of the rut.Also no spike elk. I figured the older bulls ran them off during the rut and made them easy kills for the wolves.Found 3 kills in one drainage alone.Locals told of 3 to 350 horse trailers before wolves during elk season .We counted 15 groups of hunters in 99.I'm surprised there isn't more wolves found dead.The west needs a wolf season. Mark J. Dunkin

--------------------
M.J.D.

Posts: 21 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters