The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » I hit the jackpot!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I hit the jackpot!
Jack Roberts
Knows what it's all about
Member # 13

Icon 10 posted June 04, 2004 08:15 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a long story, but the bottom line is that I am now well connected with a very large ranch less than an hour's drive from my home, which has an unbelievable amount of ground squirrels. 20 people could shoot this ranch 7 days a week and not noticeably reduce the number of targets.

Have I died and gone to heaven?

Feels a bit like it.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2004 07:59 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, I'm green with envy. [Roll Eyes] Last year, when I had the privilege of hunting with Q, he made one phone call and we had 50,000 acres to hunt. By contrast, I spent the better part of 6 days shooting the bull with and kissing up to 68 different farmers and ended up with 48 signatures and 18,000 acres of ground, half of which turned out to be useless for calling. I ran out of good calling ground pretty fast last year, even after spending that much time getting thru the gate. Congratulations on your windfall and enjoy yourself.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted June 05, 2004 09:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Jack! Maybe I could be one of your twenty friends next spring? [Roll Eyes]

Sudden thought. what about bobcat, coyote and rockchuck? I know, stupid question; they there, right? Some of the best mule deer hunting in the state is within an hour of Elko.

Good hunting. LB

edit: PS Jack, you know that one of the pleasures in life is sharing good fortune with friends? [Smile]

[ June 05, 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 10 posted June 05, 2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure Leonard,
Come on up. I might even put you up.

The coyotes have been scarce around here the last few years. The plane flies everyday getting the ones that are left.

Jack

RanUtah
Member # 18

Icon 2 posted June 05, 2004 06:45 PM      Profile for RanUtah   Email RanUtah         Edit/Delete Post 

[ June 07, 2004, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: RanUtah ]

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2004 07:33 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't envy you the ground, but I sure do envy you the time to go take advantage of it.

Must be an "up" year for the ground squirrels. I got 3 calls this week from landowners claiming to be absolutely infested with them and begging me to come help shoot them. I just don't have ANY free time to do it though. One of my buddies went a couple days ago, said he shot them literally as fast as he could load, for as long as he could stand it.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2004 10:12 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
It is not really an up year thing. They just tend to move around. Places that were over run 5 years ago have almost none now.

It is probably a combination of the 'prey predator' balance and disease once the density gets high.

I am off tomorrow to deliver a tractor wheel hub I repaired to the ranch and do some more shooting.

I don't do much high volume shooting. I like at least a 95% sure kill ratio. That means taking the time to get properly set up for the shot. For me that works out to 10-20 shots an hour, which works for me.

Jack

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that, attitude, Jack.

I have a friend that rotates five rifles and kills thousands. I just don't understand it?

I'm still chewing on your remark about the daily flights.....grrrr!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 06:23 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, I'm pretty sure my buddy was talking about a 100% ratio. And it isn't just squirrels moving, it's a upswing in the population cycle.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 09:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
How does that work, Dave? Could this be your buddy Tim that you are talking about?

I assume that you would limit your shooting to a certain distance, like 250 to 350, or whatever best suits the ballistics of the particular gun you are using.

Are you taking absolute positive slam dunk shots, or shots that have to be spotted, while dealing with mirage and changes in wind direction?

I think my interest is to settle into a narrow window at the furthest limit of my equipment. I ignore those that are closer and those beyond my capabilities, or switch to a different rig.

Just asking out of curiosity, not trying to put you on the spot. I know you are a lot deeper into live target shooting than most of us. (here)

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 08:22 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Slam dunks. This was pure extermination shooting. Plain and simple. It wasn't Tim, he's really not into that kind of stuff. This guy is actually a better "setup" shot that Tim though (Tim's a much better action shot). From what the landowners and my buddy have been saying, the ground is just carpeted with the little varmints. And he was shooting on bare dirt, no grass or anything. Anyway, he said his longest shot was 75 yards. Most under 50, a lot under 25. Rotating two custom heavy barrel bolt action .22 WMR's. Shooting just as fast as he could load. Said both barrels got too hot to touch. Doesn't use a .22LR in this particular place because of ricochet.

I suppose he might have missed a couple, he didn't actually say. But, shooting off the hood, with those two rifles, no further than 75 yds, the only shots he missed were because critters moved as the trigger broke.

Not exactly my cup of tea either, generally. But, it sounds like this is a real infestation, and he was trying to make a dent.

- DAA

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters