The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Coming to the Call 1&2... a review (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Coming to the Call 1&2... a review
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 04:00 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it wasn't easy for me to sit down and watch Byron's videos objectively, because I am a hardheaded mule... but I did my best.

It was a long two hours, but I guess I enjoyed it.

Red and I for sure got some big laughs from the dialogue... we were actually suprised at how much talking went on, on stand.

By the way, do you think you can make predator calls... from a dadgum tree?
I looked it up in my tree books and kind seem to find it?

I did lear a thing or two... most notibly;

One, you poke a bobcat, with your rifle, no less than SEVEN times, and kick it three times, before you pick it up (Bucky, has a story to tell, he has some serious respect for a shot bob).

Two, for the "picture pose", you pick a coyote up by the back legs, and a bobcat by the scruff of the neck... only after the above procedure is completed.

I have some questions to ask, Byron.

Was any of these two videos filmed in the thick part of Texas?
We did notice one scene, where Clay shot the coyote that ran to the stream, that looked a lot like the wide open mixed pine forest we have been hunting more lately (just on the east side of the Cascade Crest).

The tutorial sections in the second video, where were they filmed?
The vegatation behind you in these scenes is a lot like what the western slopes of the Cascades look like, only it all grows under a canopy of evergreen trees, some 150 feet tall or more.
In some places it starts at the beach, and continues to the treeline, or to the Crest, unbroken except for talus slopes, bare hardrock ground, and water.

Since you are still in production of your next video, perhaps some hunting in some of the thickest arborial rain forests on the planet would be a good idea.
Does Texas even have any rain forest? LOL [Razz]
You are always welcome here, I'd be glad to go and do ten or twenty blank stands with ya.
We can even break out the 'chettes, and do some bushwackin' (I'll take ya where I called the last bobcat).

All in all, I give both videos a good review. [Smile]

The only real criticism I could come up with, is in the first video, some of the scenes are a bit dark.
Seems in the second video most of these problems are solved.

You are a lucky man, Byron South, thanks for sharing a peek at your world with us.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Knows what it's all about
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 09:22 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Krusty,

Dadgum tree; cousin to the sweet gum tree, they are much wilder though, and have a tendacy to get in the way. I wouldn't make any calls from this wood though as you would always be looking for your dadgum call.

The talking was done very close to the camera and has never been a problem if kept to a minimum and very low. Talking while filming is a neccessary evil in order to get good footage.

If you ever picked up a bobcat that wasn't quite dead you'd poke em too [Wink] .Jack grabbed one from a bush one night that wasn't quite dead,and I can guarantee he won't do that again. Buckey, and I were hunting a couple of years ago and he carried a coyote by his hind legs over his back for about seventy five yards, he pitched him across a creek to where I was standing, he(undead coyote)raised up and gave a moanful howl right at my feet. Buckey finished him within secounds as he attempted to get up. You should have seen Buckeys face when he realized what had happened. He checks em real good now too [Big Grin] .

The tutorial parts as well as some of the other was filmed in East Texas. Rain forrest? Much of the East Texas forrest is extreemly thick and almost tropical during the Summer, during the Winter it's a little better and the snakes are gone. For filming porposes we chose to do most of our filming in the most open stuff we can find. I have plenty of 1-2 second video clips of coyotes getting shot just as they come into view. Filming/hunting/calling in this stuff requires quick shooting and filming and does not make for very good footage most of the time. You can easily kill 10 coyotes on film before you get one usable clip for video.

The first video shouldn't have been any darker, you may have a bad copy.

Thanks for the review, and I'm glad you liked them

Good Hunting

Byron [Big Grin]

[ August 26, 2004, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: Byron South ]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 05:02 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dadgum trees are known to have their lower branches right about 6' off of the ground. Being 6'4", I always tend to hit my head on a dadgum tree branch, everytime I take a walk in the woods. Those dadgum trees are pretty, but they sure are hard on the noggin.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
James L.
Member # 239

Icon 12 posted September 05, 2004 10:49 PM      Profile for James L.           Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a while but I thought I'd put up a picture or two of them Dadgum trees.. Hope this works. lol..

-

-

-

By the way. The pines that are found in the Western United States are of a different species than what we have here.. The ones in these pictures are Southern Yellow Pine.. They only reach about 120 feet tall and the largest ones are only about 60-65 inches in diameter.. Kinda small when compared to the White pine species.. [Wink]

In all these picture the most you can see clearly is about 25 steps. Flashes of fur can be seen at times at 35 steps so you do get a little warning. [Wink] . James L.

--------------------
Never underestimate the power of stupid people.

Posts: 18 | From: Shelbyville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 12:10 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Lindley,

Thanks for sharing the pictures, okay ya got me that's some fairly thick stuff. [Wink]
But I can see some sky, must be right bright in there once the trees drop all the leaves.

Now fill the floor with ferns, stinging nettles, seven species of thorny berry bushes and several without, skunk cabbage, salal, vine maples and devils club... all about 6-10 feet deep.
Throw around hundreds of years worth of rotting logs, and the slash and stumps from another hundred of logging, around and cover it all in a thick layer of moss, and hang the evergreen trees with old man's beard and lichens.
Tilt the whole world to about a 45° angle, add rushing snowmelt and trickling spring water everwhere, cutting deep wet rocky ravines into the land, and now you have the western slopes of the Pacific Northwest.

Byron,

If you come up here to film, bring lots of lights. lol

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 09:40 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
James knows thick Krusty, believe me. Come on down and we'll show ya what a briar patch looks like [Big Grin] . The point people are trying to make is that there are still openings somewhere in the thick stuff to call. If there are no openings then call the trails. It is thick for the coyotes too, and they will aproach useing the trails.

Here is a picture of one we called in a couple of weeks ago in VERY thick cover. Guess what. He came right down the dim trail.
 -

I know your area is thick Krusty, but you won't get much sympathy from someone from East Texas. Also you certainly don't have the monolpoly on ferns in Washington.

Leonard has given you some great advice. I would rather spend a couple hours driving for some good country, than to waste an entire day caling in an unproductive area.

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 10:46 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Byron,

I have seen that picture before, and I laughed that you say it's thick. [Big Grin]
You can see sky, you did not need a flash to take the picture, and I can see at least fifty yards down the road/trail. I'd be glad to be able to see that well on most stands.
In the thick stuff here (in the black timber), under the canopy of evergreen trees there is often less than legal shooting light at high noon on a sunny day.
If you can see your shadow, you are in the open as far as I am concerned. [Wink]

I know exactly what a briar patch is, we have himalayan blackberries, and indigenious ones, that grow exactly like briar patches.
I know of several places where it covers an entire square mile or more 15 feet deep (and there are a lot of tracks and scat around there, and many many tunnels into the brambles).

I cannot burrow my way into these tunnels as my body is too big, and the brambles too mean, I certanly wouldn't be able to call, see, or shoot from inside there.

I wasn't looking for any sympathy, just maybe some understanding of what I am up against.

But you guys just won't get it, until YOU come here.

While Leonard's advice to just go further might sit well with you, I am home this weekend because I do not have the funds to drive that far, and I just couldn't talk myself into trying the "futile fields" close to home again. lol

I feel like my skills get too rusty, waiting a month or so between calling days, and I miss going.
I feel like this has been a step backwards, not forward, towards my goal.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 11:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, my point was to try your luck in places where the calling is a little easier, so that after you get a few kills under your belt, you would know how to apply it to the thicker areas closer to home.

As far as I'm concerned, part of the overall equation is to select a proper stand, along with all the other things you need to do, to be successful. When you get some experience, you should be able to look at what you have to work with, and see a plan.

I don't believe that the best way to learn to swim is to be tossed in the middle of the ocean and told which way is the shore.

I think experienced callers would have difficulty hunting your part of the world. Add "inexperience" to the mix and it starts to get impossible. And, don't bother explaining that you really aren't inexperienced. You are , until you dust your first coyote, a complete babe in the woods. Every kill will increase your base of knowledge. For the time being, plan for success. Hunt quality areas. Then bring your new expertise to the local situation, along with a new sense of confidence.

Good luck, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 11:41 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

Blue Sky? Did you look at the ground cover? last time I looked, coyotes don't have wings, only feet [Big Grin] . It can in no way be any thicker in Washinton than it is on some/most of the places I hunt in East Texas. Sure the trees may be taller but what effect does that have on the coyotes? I have seen plenty of your country, and plenty of mine as well, and lots of other forrest in the US. I feel your pain hunting the thick stuff, but believe me you have no monopoly on thick. I don't wish to debate it further. You have been givien soom good advise. Use it.

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

That makes more sense, kinda like skiing I need to first learn to negotiate the bunny slope, then work my way up the hill to "the expert runs", and may never have the skills to do the kinda of stuff that's here.

I think that I do gain some experience on each stand that I at least see an animal called in, no matter what type of animal.
I can't imaging Mr Higgins isn't gaining valuable experience, in his way of "not killing" them, in the same way.

That is not to say I am not still a "complete babe in the woods" I couldn't agree more, I am.
I really do wander around out there, lost and confused. LOL
You can only learn from trial and error, if you can identify the errors or the successes.
This is why I have sat on 250+ stands and not gained much of value.

Byron,

I certainly don't want to debate it with you, if it's going to upset you. I am sorry.
It's my honest opinion you would be completely blown away by the country here. It defies description in a way you can understand, until you've been here.

The only reason I mention the sky in those photos, is in regards to shooting light. Often times under the deep trees it is as dark as a sage flat on a cloudy moonlit night. Roads are dark tunnels.
As a doe aproaches my calling, I strain to identify it, as anything more than a shadow with ears, and many times wish it was legal to use a light on my gun even in daytime to find eyes lurking in the dark or make a more postive id quickly.

But I am learning not to call there anymore. [Wink]

I don't have 25 dollar checks pouring in my mailbox daily, so taking the advice given me and using it are two different things all together.

Night hunting season, in it's limited forms, starts at midnight.
I am outta here, maybe I'll gain some valuable experience tonight.

Cya

Krusty  -

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 01:05 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
It sounds like you may be hunting the Blue mountain area over near Walla Walla. Brush and fallen logs so thick that there is no way to go in there except on game trail. Even on game trail you have to crawl on hands and knee's through tunnels in the tangle. If it sounds like I have been there it is only because I have. [Smile] Not good for calling in early fall, but the bear and cougar do love it so.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
James L.
Member # 239

Icon 6 posted September 06, 2004 03:21 PM      Profile for James L.           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty: While it is Byron's picture that you referred to in having light I will say that in my pics there is also light.. The light that you see however is not open areas. It has beeen logged and replanted with southern yellow pine trees. These areas are better known as pine plantations and exist all across the south.

Rows about 6-8 feet apart with the trees themselves about 10-12 inches apart. Add a five year growth of briars and "brambles" as you called them with a healthy yearly dose of fertilizer and you get the kind of mix that you see in Byron's pic. Only roadbeds are visible. Once the trees are about five years old until the plantation is thinned you have to settle for hunting the fringes of such areas as they can not be penetrated. If you don't believe me find someone that looked for space shuttle parts a couple of years ago...

What you don't see in my pictures (the last couple) (the part that lets all the light in ) is the power line right of way that is 25 feet behind my back.

If I back off into that clear lane (which I do occassionally) I will call coyotes but you can't see them until you have already tipped your hat to them. It is due to the light transfer in your eyes.

For instance.. Stand in your living room and look out the window. Now go outside and look into the house. Can't see inside from outside can you?

Cameras can be decieving in what things look like.

I have a few more pics of some roads that I'll post later. Some of them are like you mentioned. So dim that you can't see down it. And it makes for a dim picture also...

Thick places can be found in any state that there is.

Arizona is a fine example. The first time I hunted there I was lost out there sitting with my head up and could see for miles. I didn't like it and we called not the first coyote on that first day on the San Carlos. However I regrouped and took the map and went and found a place like home and got down to business. lol....

This past hunt was a very different story. I went to the boards and learned a way to hunt those open areas and was successful in them.....

It took me a while to figure out how to kill those forrest dwelling coyotes that exist here but I had lots of time and the money was there for me to do it. I wished I could come up there because I have a feeling that I could achieve what it is that you bet..

I hear that coyotes need lots od pepper to be palatable. [Eek!] [Big Grin] j/k

On a more serious side it will take someone that is very damned good at hunting tight cover for the intended quarry to be able to teach you how it is done....

One more note and I am finished.

There is a town about 125 miles south of me that sits on the Gulf of Mexico. It is Beaumont, Texas That strip of woods in my pictures starts there. It continues about 150 miles North of me til you get to Texarkana, Texas/Arkansas. That gives you 270 miles of woods that range in width from 150 to 200 miles. t continues on into Arkansas and even into Oklahoma. And yaes there are area in there that are wide open because some settler 100 years ago decided that he wanted a feild to plant his crops and busted his ass clearing it of tree and brambles.

It starts at Varmit Hunters house and comes by my house right on up by Byron's in Tyler. 85 percent of this area is private but it does hold 4 national forrests. All open to the public with a lot of type two land thrown in.

Type two is land that is being managed by the State of Texas but is not owned by them. Some private and some owned by the federal gov. It is however open to the public with some additional rules and a type two permit. In that mix is some very extremely steep areas that have the ferns and undergroth that you describe. One such place I have called does in and could only identify them by the snorting sound they made. They were too short to see through the undergrowth [Wink]

I brought that up because there is a way to hunt that area. You have to watch the opossing face of the ravine that you are hunting so that you can see down into it. In the thick stuff, elevation is the key!!!!!!!.James L.

--------------------

Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 07:22 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, I don't have to go to Italy to know that the Leaning Tower of Pisa is leaning, and I don't need to go to Washington State to know it's steep and thick [Big Grin] . Believe me Krusty nothing you can say upsets me, frustrate, but never upset. Like James said we have plenty of impenatrable stuff but we have learned long ago not to attempt to kill a coyote in it. For God sake, please do yourself a favor and find something better to do with your time.

[ September 06, 2004, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Byron South ]

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 02:14 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

No sir, I am not hunting the Blue Mountains.

I was referring the the wet side of the Cascade Mountains, particularly King, Snohomish, and Skagit Counties.
These lie in the "convergence zone", in the eddy of the Olympic Mountains.
When weather rolls in off the Pacific Ocean it often splits going around the Olympics, when it converges back together, and climbs the Cascade foothills it dumps all the rain it has left, all year long.
It has created a landscape much like southeast Alaska, but the warmer climate has made it much more jungle like.

Think of the Blues, encased in a greenhouse, sheltered from the cold, and watered profusely. [Eek!]

I can see you have some understanding of our woods though.
Ever been to Byron's neighborhood?

James,

The fact that in your photos the ground is visable, and is just a carpet of leaves is the biggest difference of all.
I'd be happy to walk unfettered through woods so open, and flat. Heck I could ride my mtn bike right through all three of your photos.

There is no way in the world I could drag my bike offtrail here in a fresh cut, let alone one with any regrowth.
They are using those new Swedish machines here, that don't scrape the ground bare, and leave all the branches strewn about on the floor... it's nearly impossible to walk through.

I was thinking teriyaki stir fry, if I actually lost the bet. [Wink]
Maybe some of the high rollers here can send ya on up, I am not afraid.

I am impressed,though, you are the first "expert" to step up and at least claim you could pull it off.

As I like to say "Prove it!"

Krusty  -

P.S. James, if you resize your pictures to 75%, and then edit in the new URL, it will make the page fit the screen. Thanks (if ya need any help holler)

[ September 07, 2004, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------

James L.
Member # 239

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 04:27 AM      Profile for James L.           Edit/Delete Post 
I am no expert Krusty.

I realize that you still do not get the gravity of what we hunt here.. If you think that you can ride a bike through that first photo I'd eat two coyotes raw just to see you try to do it lol........

In the second and third photos you'd only get about 25 yards any way you go unless you get on the right of way then ..Well I think you get what I am saying...

The floor as you call it is clean because we do anual control burns to kill the fuel pile up. It is done becuase the population is so great and we don't like taking chances here with our valuable timber.

As far as dragging your bike off road here into a logged area. You'd better have some cash to replace those tires that you will pop.

My two boys missed out on having bikes because they just aren't feasible in this area..

You still believe that your place is thicker than anything here.. That really amazes me how hard headed one individual can be until they actually experience the terrain for themselves lol. No offense but I really wonder sometimes if you aren't doing this for the hell of it, just to stir things up???? [Wink] .......

The pictures were taken on public land and is cleaner than a lot of the private land here. I didn't bother with the private because unless you know someone here it is hard to get permission to hunt it, so therefore, it is irrevalent in how it looks or is kept..

have a nice time Krusty..... James L.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 05:16 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
Most of my texas hunting has been done in northern part of the state. Even around there you have to pick and choose where you call from. I saw places where I was afraid of getting lost in the mesquite. They do have thick cover in texas alright. Murry Burnham once told me of a place down there where he hunted wild cattle. Small trees so close together you had to walk on the cattle trails to get in or out of there. God help you if you got in the way of a charging wild cow. They even have alligator hunting in texas. They have just about everything except maybe mountains. Shucks they may even have those, I ain't sure. [Smile]

--------------------

James L.
Member # 239

Icon 10 posted September 07, 2004 10:46 AM      Profile for James L.           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich.. Yep we even got those from the Fort Stockton to El Paso area. They ain't as big as some of the ones out west but they are definately mountains. I think they are called the Sangri De Christo Mountain Range?

Mesquite is a critter that I remember from living and growing up in South Texas. Light from above definatley penetrates but in no way can you see through them, around them, or under them, if there aren't open spaces made by man.

I am more than sure that Washington does not have the sole ownership of thick areas lol..

Whether it is ferns, yopon under brush such as my pirst photo, or plain old cactus (yes we have lots of it too), thich is thick and that is that. However I am sure that the ferns don't hurt as much when you try to go through them lol [Big Grin] .....James L.....

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 11:08 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
James,

Thanks for the resize on the photos, too bad about the second one. [Frown] You can only make em smaller, you can't go back up in size.

You'll notice I put quote marks around expert.
If you actually could shoot three coyotes over three days here, I would consider you an expert, to be sure.

No, you're right, I don't any more realize what your up against, any more than you or Byron realize what I am up against.
There is no way for any of us to really know, without being in it.

I do still believe that we have some of the thickest temperate arborial rain forest on the planet.

I have read the accounts of explorers who were stifled by the landscape here, Merriweather Lewis wrote "This land has a closeness, and is so inpenetrable it is all the men can do to cover one mile a day... it has an oppresive darkness I fear will break the souls of my men" and these were strong Voyageurs who had just crossed the entire country.
One hundred and fifty years of clearcut logging has only made it thicker and more lush than when Lewis and Clark's party came through.

Yes I am VERY hardheaded, but I don't see that as a character flaw, rather one of the traits I can admire about myself, I am not a quitter.

I believe, what I believe, until someone can PROVE IT beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am wrong.

You, or Byron, have yet to show me proof positive.
And I have proved nothing to you guys.

And yes, too, you are probably right about me just doing this, to some degree, "to stir things up".
But I do so in good spirits, and with no malice, I thought it was a friendly rivalry.
It was never personal.

Webster's defines a forum, which this is, as;
A place for the exchange, and debate, of ideas and information.
I am here to debate, the idea Tx is harder to hunt, thicker, or steeper than it is here.

I am not going to roll over and piss myself in submission, because Byron gets frustrated when the debate gets tough.

Mostly, because I am right! [Big Grin] (joke)

Umm have a nice time yerself? [Confused]

Rich,

Texas even has mountains, the Witchatas (sic?), a fine range of granitic peaks, with some very good climbing.
The one thing I am pretty sure they don't have is a temperate rain forest. lol [Wink]

Okay c'mon with the $64 answer... do you think the Blues are thicker and harder to hunt, or Texas' mesquite country?
And why?

Krusty  -

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 01:06 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
That thick cover up in the Blue mountains is the type of cover the bears love to hole up in during daylight hours. I was tracking a wounded bear through those dark tunnels that I mentioned. It would not be possible to call and shoot anything while setup in all of that tangle. I had set up on opposite slope and called the bear out of the tangle to a spot where I could see him and get a shot. The Texas mesquite country holds a high density of coyotes instead of bears. I could not call from the mesquite thickets either. I have to call the coyotes out of the thicket into a clearing of some sort so that I can have opportunity to kill them. This is true of any thick cover situation. You have to figure out a way to call the target animal into a clearing of some sort. Even here in western Iowa, there are places you can't see diddily because of thickness of the cover. This time of the year an Iowa corn or soybean field holds plenty of wildlife, but you can't see em for the plants.

--------------------

Tyler H
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 02:20 PM      Profile for Tyler H           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked byrons newest video.It had alot more footage of animals then the last. Even though his first video was good you can tell on the second one that he is getting better at it. (its different hunting with a camera instead of a gun isnt it?)

[ September 08, 2004, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Tyler H ]

Posts: 25 | From: arizona | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
James L.
Member # 239

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 03:20 PM      Profile for James L.           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty.. Yeah I wasn't paying attention and sized it wrong lol... I will have to download it again and then resize it then post it again after I delete it...

I never meant that the hardheadedness was a character flaw. Just a lack of being able to accept what one hasn't experienced first hand [Wink] .

I do on the other hand realize what you are up against. Like I said before thick is thick and then you throw a tree canopy that closes out light and you only make it harder for yourself..

The best that I can do is look at picturs of your terrain and be glad that I don't have to hunt it regularly [Wink]

As far as Lewis and Clark.. Well they never got a gander at Texas [Eek!] [Big Grin] .. Just kidding..

I don't think anyone has tried to get you to roll over and pee yourself into submission. I know that I haven't . Others may not exhibit great restaint with dealing with someone that is arguing back just foir the sake of arguing (I have seen you do it before [Wink] ) . I don't get as riled and find it mostly amusing, as that is what it is..

The only thing that I can say that you are wrong about, is you keep on insisting that Texas does not have thick spots. The closest we come to a rain forrest is the Big Thicket area (some of picture one) and icludes terrain that is broken by water but is still unable to be traveled due to the trees (cypress) But then thick has many different forms... But that a rehash of already mentioned material..

Pictures is all I have to show but I feel that no matter what kind I pop up there you will deny that they are not as thick. That is your perogative..

quote:
Umm have a nice time yerself?
lol I couldn't think af a good enough way to end my post.. It doesn't look right in print but nothing was menat by it...

No matter. Washington definately has thick spots as well as every state in the union. So does Texas. The question is ..Can you admit it. You already did once [Smile] ....James L.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 03:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd sooner live back east somewhere, than the suicide capital of the world, Washington State. Now you tell me the hunting sucks? With all the damned rain, people need (get this) "Sunshine Therapy" (I kid you not!)

The "CS" Patrol uses unmarked cars, and hidden radar speed traps and will write you for three miles over the speed limit.

The last place I'd ever move, I promise. Some like it, and more power to them. Especially the other side, that's okay. Different strokes. The only time it's tolerable, up there along the coast, is the two weeks of summer.

Now I'll duck and run!

Good hunting. LB

edit: Forgot to mention their drivers. Murderous bastards, the rudest bunch of idiots I have ever seen, especially if they see CA tags. Ordinary people, minding their own business, driving along, average getting "the finger" almost once per mile, between Vancouver, WA and Seattle.

[ September 07, 2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 05:46 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

You were tracking a wounded bear? [Eek!]

You are a braver man than me, Ghunga Din!

And you are right, in most places in this country we hunt the "edge".

Tyler,

I fully agree, that Byron's second video is much better. The filming is better, stands are broken down and explained, and the tutorials seem a little better planned out (Byron definitely can speak better in front of the camera than I ever could), it just flows better.

Which one did ya like the music on? Big change there, huh. [Wink]

James,

Picture posting and hosting is a never ending learning experience.
I still host them on ImageStation, then transfer a small version (from the album page) to photobucket, that way I have a large format version, stored safely outside my computer.

Generally "hardheaded" is meant in a negative way, at least towards me. lol
Absolutely, I do not believe anything I didn't experience firsthand, without some form of proof.

Pictures can't prove to anyone how formidable the terrain can be, climbing pics are a great example, often times you cannot convey how steep it is, because people tend to see the world as horizontal.

I don't argue back for the sake of argument, so much as, for the sake of the debate.
Many times we end up turning off in a new direction (like this time), and end up learning something worthwhile.

I never said Texas didn't have any thick country, just that what you do have isn't as thick, or steep, or wet, as what we have. [Wink]

I admit it. [Smile]

Okay, I didn't think it was an insult, but your farewell plumb confused me.
I try to always "have a nice time", actually the guys I have hunted with can tell you I am way more happy and jovial in the woods than I come off online.

No matter what, I think Crapshoot is right, neither of our woods are as thick as my head.....

Leonard,

Oh man you are so funny, and so right on about New Northern California, I mean Washington.

I actually had a "light emmersion therapy" box for a while, it's true, the gloominess here can sink right into you, and many people cash in their chips.
San Fransisco had the top honors here in the US for a while, London also has a high suicide rate.
Rain wears down, even the highest mountains...

"CS" patrol? Whoosat?
3mph over, they knew you'd pay it and not come all the way back up to fight it.
Guess that makes up for the CHiP givin me one, for 4MPH over, coming down outta Truckee. [Wink]
Tourism dollars at work.

It's actually two Thursdays of summer here (you shoulda been here last Thursday), but you get the point.

We think Oregon drivers are the worst (hippie-chicks SHOULD NOT drive), and we give you Californians the finger, because we do not generally follow at "one foot per ten miles an hour" on the freeways here like y'all do in SoCal... At seventy miles an hour, we need a few more than seven feet between cars, it's not NASCAR, okay? LOL

A one-way valve on California does seem like a good idea, once you go in to live, don't come back out. Hehe

Krusty  -

--------------------

Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 05:58 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
Rain? What rain?

I heard all those stories of rain in the Pacific NW and even took a rain coat the first time I went there. What a waste carrying around a rain coat for a week.

My wife and I spent 8 days cruising the Columbia and Snake rivers on a paddleboat and it never rained once. I guess there could have been some witchcraft involved?

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, that was an opinion. I forget if they are called State Troopers or the Washington Highway Patrol. In either case, CS is shorthand for ChickenShit. And, no, I never got a ticket, I use a radar detector, but I have seen them being pulled over and getting in line, twelve at a time. It's shameful!

Remember Krusty, you asked for it, and I already have heard there is blood in the water and they are planning on a feeding frenzy, with you as guest of honor. [Smile] Oh man, I can hardly wait....I mean watch Go get 'em, tiger!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters