The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Coyote Hunting in SW Arizona-slow start

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coyote Hunting in SW Arizona-slow start
azcallmaker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 379

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2004 07:11 PM      Profile for azcallmaker   Email azcallmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Made 5 stands today. Was only able to bring in 3 dogs, all were in my last stand. Sure hope things pick up soon.

Loren Reese
"No Noise" Predator Lanyards

Posts: 18 | From: Yuma | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2004 07:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Count your blessings, three for five would be a good start, some places. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31490 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2004 07:41 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Three for five?....hell, thats nothing to complain about. Sounds like a pretty decent morning/evening.
Posts: 1633 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave
Member # 402

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2004 07:48 PM      Profile for Dave   Email Dave         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning on going out next weekend for my first try at calling and I will be happy if I see one, overjoyed if I get a shot. Sounds like you had a good time.

Dave

Posts: 28 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2004 07:51 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
3 for 5 was a slow morning?

I need to move! Im living in the wrong state!

Kee

IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2004 07:53 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds good to me! I made 8-9 stands myself this morning. I only called in two coyotes on about the 5th stand. The first went running though the brush about 150 years out, I never even raised the rifle towards him. The second dropped at the shot at about 75 yards.

On the third stand, I did call in two nice mule deer bucks. One was a 3X3 with his antlers just inside of his ears. His buddy was a 5X5 with his antlers spreading at least 2" past his ears. I played with the two of them for close to ten minutes before they wondered off. That big one will make someone a wonderful trophy in a couple of more weeks!

Edit:

keekee, just be patient, I think you will fall in love with the location we are going to hunt in a couple of weeks. As long as Nistetter doesn't sneak down and kill them all before we get there!

[ October 03, 2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2004 08:01 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Made 5 stands this morning and seen one lion on the run at maybe 500 yards. 3 out of 5 is good in anybodys book lol. [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2004 05:52 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
look at it this way.... you were hunting.... At the current rate... It will be Mid Nov before I make a sound from a call....

Enjoy any time you have in the great outdoors

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2004 07:47 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Off to a roaring start here in Utah. Usually, I wouldn't have been out yet, but I got out early a couple times. Averaging more than 1 coyote per stand through the first 23 stands.

It won't last, but it sure is fun. In a couple more months, we'll be happy to be averaging more than 1 coyote per day.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2004 02:38 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know where DAA is hunting. Heck, I could win one of them big contest with the that kind of average. [Smile] Some guy told me he took several coyotes, maybe 12 or 14 not far from Salt Lake. Said he called them out of the reeds or something like that. [Confused]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2004 10:37 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots more coyotes in the city. Easy to call too. Could be a problem with the legalities.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2004 07:08 PM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my son went out Sun. am , made 6 stands, called in 3 dogs, 1 grey fox. Shot 2 of the dogs, let the fox go. Home at 11:00 am. Hope they respond that well this week-end. (club hunt)
Posts: 42 | From: Glendale AZ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 06:24 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
I sure do miss them club hunts, [Frown] but guess what? We started a predator hunting club called the New Mexico Predator Callers Asso. I'm sending all the members to Arizona for the club hunts lol. [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 06:31 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, will you E-mail me regarding your club info?
IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 10:40 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, no doubt there are coyotes in the marshes just west of town here. Most of that ground is locked up behind private gates though. I got keys to a lot of them [Smile] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2004 05:28 PM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 

[ October 06, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: DJ in AZ ]

Posts: 42 | From: Glendale AZ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters