The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » hands free mouth call (howler)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hands free mouth call (howler)
gus
Knows what it's all about
Member # 425

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2004 07:40 PM      Profile for gus   Email gus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello
? any suggestion on hands free mouth call (reed),and were i might find such a call. I am looking to develope the howling tech. I have tried my friends howler, not really sure what type it was but it was extremely bulky and I have failed to operate it in a manner that doesn't scare the coyotes in the next section. I am looking for a low volume compact call that I can operate without my hands.

Posts: 11 | From: wa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2004 08:07 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Gus

Welcome to the board!

I'm not sure if you can really find a hands free howler. Your best bet might be trying to learn how to voice howl or possibly learning how to use a diaphram, but most people will still cup one or two hands around the mouth to direct sound.

Alot of the open reed howlers have removable bells and the actual voices can be really compact and can be used for howling without the bell and with out hurting quality of the sound.

You might also look into the Crit'r calls or some of the other open reed caller. Cronk also makes some good looking voices and I'm sure they will make good howlers.

Greenside

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
gus
Member # 425

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2004 08:36 PM      Profile for gus   Email gus         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks

What type of diaphram would you suggest. I just don't see me being able to perfect the voice call

gus

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2004 09:30 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Gus,

Personally, I suggest you start with one of the open reed calls and don't worry about hand movement, when it comes to howling. It's just not that much of a factor when howling.

Diaphragm calls are not as easy to master as the open reed calls. If you want to give diaphragms a try, look for ones that are made for elk bugling. In my opinion carlton makes the best, but primos,HS and a few other brands are good.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2004 11:53 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Gus,

Learning to howl with an open reed call is like learning to play the saxaphone, or a clarinet.
It's not something you are going to master in a few days of trying.

Carlton's makes an audio tape which helped me a lot, so did the Knight & Hale video, but the most helpful for me (though controversial) was the Ed Sceery video.

Almost all of these folks first recommend learning the basic bark, it is done by making a solid "hut" and closing your toungue against the roof of your mouth.
Progress on to "hut hut" then to "hut hut huuuuu-uu-uut".
Once you have the howl part down well, try to phase out the "hut hut" and go straight into the long howl.
Many experienced callers feel the barks at the beginning are too aggressive, or serve as a warning bark, and may scare off as many as it may bring in.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Krusty  -

[ October 24, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
gus
Member # 425

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 08:08 PM      Profile for gus   Email gus         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the info
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 10:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, gus. Glad to have you on board.

gus, I'm not sure what you mean by "low volume" compact? Is this in context with your comment about using an "extremely bulky" howler? If I read you correctly, you want something that fits nicely in a pocket, and there are a few that meet your requirements. I think the Bill Austin Red Desert call is one? The stumbling block is hands free. That creates a problem.

The only solution I know of, is a diaphram. However, you stated that you doubted that you could master voice howling, and the diaphram is equally difficult to use.

My question would be: why do you require "hands free"? Most people would either use a howler at the start of a stand, or if there is any danger that an animal might observe the movement, do it from under some camo mesh.

However, I do not find it necessary to do much howling with a coyote right in front of me That's where prey sounds seem to be more effective. Therefore, howling hands-free without fear of detection becomes a moot point.

And lastly. Do not be afraid of scaring the "coyotes in the next section". They areextremely tolerant of poorly executed or inappropreate calls. Perhaps I should say that they "can be" extremely tolerant? lol

Without more data, that's about all I can provide.

Good luck, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31468 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
gus
Member # 425

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 09:43 PM      Profile for gus   Email gus         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard

Thank you for the welcome.

I ask for a hands free call because I would like a howler that is small and compact. In theory it should reducing the fumbling around and to allow for free movement. That and I cannot have it banging around.

To answer your question, I am new to this type of hunting and after speaking to other yote hunters and reading the form I have discovered that my process for set up is totally different than most guys. Yet it seems to work extremely well. Here is just an overview of how I proceed, please feel free to imput some suggestions.

1) A pond my arrival to the calling area I usually glass the area first, there have been plenty of times when I can snipe a yote without him even knowing that I’m in area. In these situations I take all the time in the world to pick my poi. Here is where my technique varies from everyone else, I start with the squeaker call, if the area is what I would consider to be a closed area, I blow it very lightly, just enough to make the sound, about the same level as normal conversation. If a dog isn't it in my face within about five min's., I go to the larger predator call. I have found that if I blow too hard nothing comes in, yet if I muffle it, the area comes alive. If twenty minutes comes and goes and nothing shows up; I then I move on to the next area. The area I hunt is relatively small, and is for some reason becoming hunted more and more by other yote hunters. Who are doing a good job at educating these dogs. I don’t mind the other hunters however they have been educating these dogs pretty dam good. I have observed these hunters, from a safe distance of course, running around blowing their calls in nothing but blue jeans and everyday colored t-shirts. They are easy to spot from a distance and if I can see them, those yotes have them peg.

Now to the Howler, I would like to change up my calling technique and to blow on a howler that is excessive in volume, might just defeat the purpose. I would also like to combined the howler with the distress call, I have spoken to other yote hunters and many have combined the calls in such a way that it sounds like another dog is working the territory.

I have come to the conclusion that I will have to learn how to use a diaphragm in order to make this work. Do you have any suggestion for the most realistic sounding diaphragm to purchase I have started to look into the suggestions that krusty and Dennis made. All though I have another problem, being up here in the NW; places to purchase such things, is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. Any suggestion on retail stores or websites to review such items

Thanks for the great forum, I found it sometime ago and just now signed up.

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Gus,

Where in Washington are you? I just noticed that.

Allpredatorcalls.com has everything you'd ever need as far as calling supplies.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2004 06:58 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
The E.L.K."Yote Howler" is 3 1/2 in. long, 1 3/4 in. wide, 3/4 in. thick fits in shirt pocket. Medium to low volume. Realistic howls, yips and whines with a little practice.
IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters