The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Coyote-Quail Relationship

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coyote-Quail Relationship
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2004 09:07 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I've asked this before and I hope someone has some insight to the question.
I read and heard in the past allusions to a special relationship between coyotes and quail and I still don't understand it. Once again this morning I observed what I consider strange behavior between predator and prey species.
I called in a large covey of quail to within 20 yards. They came to bird distress trills. As I was videoing them a coyote came in and walked to the edge of the covey. Quail and coyote ignored each other. That coyote scented me and left. 10 seconds later another coyote approached, walked through the covey, ignoring them and stood and watched me for a minute or so as the quail walked around it. This coyote moved downwind, scented me and left the way he came in. I stopped it three times with various sounds with quail almost at it's feet. As it left along a small game trail five or six quail ran along behind it. The last time it stopped to check me out the quail walked into the shrubs at it's feet and disappeared. I have a couple of other clips from the past showing similar behavior between the two species.
Anyone have any knowledge of this "special" relationship?

IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2004 10:08 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
You had to have called in retarded coyotes Rich. Everyone knows that coyotes eat only game animals. That’s why we need to kill as many as we can. I it wasn’t for coyote hunters there would be no game left at all. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2004 03:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I have not heard of this? Have not witnessed it, either.

I keep thinking of some African footage I saw that showed a jackal charging into hundreds of doves at the edge of a pond. Several times, random snagging doves out of mid air.

We know they will take pheasants, probably other grouse(?) So I can't think of any reason why the coyote would ignore quail and the quail would have no fear of the coyote?

I believe you, though. Stranger things have happened.

Good hunting. LB

[ November 28, 2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Knows what it's all about
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2004 04:07 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

A have heard several big bird hunters say that the more coyotes we have the more quail we have. They say that the coyotes keep the rabbit population down and that the rabbits compete with the quail. Whether this is true or not, don't know.

Did you get this on film Rich?

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2004 05:02 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Het Byron. yep, got it on video.
It was either Leydet or Cadieux that stated that coyotes enjoy a unique relationship with quail. Robb gave me a study that stated that large numbers of coyotes generally equal large numbers of quail because the coyotes suppress the populations of the meso predators-the foxes and cats that feed on quail. The groundkeeper at Sun City Country Club told me that the coyotes feed regularly on the doves on the course but leave the quail alone. Quien sabe?

IP: Logged
RanUtah
Knows what it's all about
Member # 18

Icon 2 posted November 28, 2004 05:10 PM      Profile for RanUtah   Email RanUtah         Edit/Delete Post 
I have both of those books Rich, there are some interesting perspectives in both.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters