The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » The big snow of 05

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The big snow of 05
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 09:06 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! what a night and day. We got over a foot of heavy wet snow last night and have another 8 to 10 inches forecast for today. We needed the moisture but..... this is ridiculous.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 09:42 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
86 today and sunny, sorry Cal. [Big Grin]
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just stay in bed!

One of my fondest memories was being stranded in Evanston, WY one time. After it stopped falling out of the sky, the wind was blowing it sideways for another,(?) most of a day and night. We knew it was time to leave when the restaurants ran out of food.

Hey, Cal. I'm still a little vague on what to look for, looking for dens. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 10:19 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's still piling up. Now most all of the roads are closed, schools are closed, and most of the businesses in town are closing. Everything that can be cancelled is being cancelled.

Leonard, I'm sorry I missed your question in the other post. I'm not sure exactly what you are after for info, but I'll try to answer whatever I can. Most den areas are in areas with decent cover and there absolutely must be water close. Usually within a half mile or so. Here, big sage draws are popular. But I have seen them in a flat with little or no cover. If you get into a draw with a den in it you will see a series of "cleanouts" usually. Various holes in a general area. They will occasionally move the pups from this hole to that depending on if one gets to stinking or fleas or pressure of other types etc. Here they usually start out in a hole or actual den, but as the pups get larger they will move into big rock piles and sometimes just into heavy brush. If the pups are out of the hole there will get to be a large playground that is mashed flat where the pups play. There will be all kinds of "toys" that they have collected laying here and there. Pups being pups they love chew toys. Once the pups have an area like this established they are alot easier to find. When the pups are tiny it can be a real bear to find them. You will have alot of fresh cleanouts with adult tracks going into them and having a dog to figure out which one the pups are in really helps. As far as leading the dogs away, that is where good dogs are required. If a dog is too aggressive the coyotes will lead it out of the country and ditch it. You need a dog that will only go so far and then come back to the den area and that drives coyotes mad and things really happen. The best situation for me is to have the den basically located before I try to kill the old ones with the decoy dogs. If you are on the den it sure works better. Hope this helps or at least confuses you some more!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 10:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Helps a lot! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 11:22 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope some of that ends up in the Bear River Drainage! It dropped over an inch on us yesterday, not complaining about the moisture but I have spring crops to plant. LOL

On a side note. What about this wet spring? Do you think it is going to substantially affect the number of virgin ears I have to call to this fall?

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 11:25 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Trade ya. It's about 78 right now, both temp and humidity. Thunderheads are forming in 3 directions and we're forecast for tornadic severe storms between now and five this afternoon. I'll be that mailman walking my route today with gale force winds, whistling that song, "Oh what a beautiful morning...". [Smile]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 11:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like bragging, Lance? Just kidding.

That song was from Oklahoma; one of the best stage musicals, ever.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 12:10 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, did you learn that on Dr. Phil?
I'm beginning to worry.
You're not "Sweatin' to the Oldies" with Richard Simmons yet, are you? [Smile]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 12:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reminding me, Rich.

Yes, the show was yesterday. I was on TV, (BFD)but you really had to know what to look for, since I was the tallest in the row, and was wearing a light colored shirt. Watched the whole thing, and I admit; it was trivial and boring.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 04:23 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Roads closed, but had to go to town for chew, beer, and milk. Just got back. And they said it couldn't be done. I had to drive around a bunch of stranded semis at the road closure gate, and they say thats illegal, but I"m home.

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 07:56 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, I could tell when that front got to us because the wind turned and the temp dropped about 15 degrees in a matter of minutes.

Leonard, Cmpared to the heat some of those desert rats are already feeling, 78 is pretty good. Load the air up with water and it just sucks. I hate heat and humidity. Used to love those wicked Kansas thunderstorms. Been known to chase more than a couple of them just to get to see a 'nader. But, having a wife, two kids, and a mortgage makes me a bit more gunshy about them getting too close to the ranch. I'd just as soon let those boys in TX and Oklahoma have them. As far as the musical, we don't do musicals around here. Whassup with that.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 06:29 AM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote hunters and musicals go together about as good as hilary and handguns don't they [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 10:41 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

--------------------

RanUtah
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 07:41 AM      Profile for RanUtah   Email RanUtah         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats good Cal that your getting snow,just keep it over there, I think I'm done with winter for now. I know that we have had our fair sure.

Lance, do you remember that F-5 tornado that hit Wilson lake a fews years back? I believe it killed one person and thats about all it did. We were there driving from Salina to Hays and watched it cross from the left to the right side of I-80. It was amazing to say the least.

Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 03:18 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
A Michigan couple were trapped in Lamoille Canyon overnight and rescued by the Sheriff's department Thursday morning.

Duuuuhhh! Lamoille Canyon is a big tourist attraction but not in April. The county tries to get the road open with big snowblowers for Memorial day. They don't always succeed and it may be closed later by more storms.

Being from Michigan this couple should have known what snow is? Apparently he had 4 wheel drive because he was able to get the truck into 3 feet of snow.( Supports my belief that the only thing 4 wheel drive is good for is to get stuck further from solid ground.)

Here is the good part;
After finally getting permanently stuck, this 34 year old guy sends his 20 year old girlfriend for help through 3 feet of snow. After several miles down the canyon she has to break into a Boy Scout summer camp to get some shelter for the night. Even at the lower elevation of the camp it is way below freezing at night, probably +10F.

When rescued he was just fine in the truck running the heater when he got cold. His girlfriend had to be hospitalized for hypothermia.

Both idiots but at least she had sense enough to seek shelter. He should never be allowed to have another girl friend.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

I think you mean I-70. 80 runs thru Nebraska. Anyway, I remember it. One of the guys I worked EMS with at the time was there camping and began offering care to patients before rescuers arrived. The best I've heard a firsthand account of was the Andover tornado in, oh, about '91 or '92. Another friend of mine was a Fire Company Officer in Hesston Kansas and sat outside Andover while this F5 monster ripped thru the middle of town. He quickly became Incident Commander and recalled one point, shortly after assuming command, of a civilian running up to his command truck and telling him that the Golden Spur Trailer Park was totally obliterated and that there were bodies hanging in what was left of the trees. The part about the bodies was false, but that trailer park was leveled. He showed me his own pics from the scene and the whole town was four feet level with nothing but debris for as far as you could see. Like I said, I used to love chasing them and I've got myself close to a couple while they were dropping when I should have known better. When stuff around you starts raising up in the air and your ears start popping, your ******* slams shut real fast. [Smile] Family and age prevents me from getting into such a situation ever again. My wife just quit going with me on those types of things. She'd had enough of it and could never understand how those types of things just turned my crank.

One time, when we were dating, I was off duty from EMS but heard a tone out to a helo crash about four miles outside town. Can't miss that! I'm third on-scene right behind the first ambulance and heavy rescue. An OH-56 Scout helo went down while on maneuvers with three Apache Longbows from Fort Riley running "nap of the earth" exercises (fly about thirty feet off the ground to simulate low level combat flight). Bystanders had already removed the pilot and navigator from the wreckage. The pilot was a trauma code and the navigator was conscious and hurting. I was a Fire Captain in an area fire department and the only one free enough at the moment to assume Command of the scene. So, I did. I'm in the height of glory at this point and my then-girlfriend-now-wife stays in my pickup. Shortly after I get my turnouts on and start to walk toward the conscious patient, here comes three Huey gunship-type helos flying in low in our direction. Two are Medivac chopppers and the lead one is all black with four guys standing on the skids, two on each side, all decked out in aluminized aircraft firefighting gear. To help you understand the environment we're in at this point, know that my truck is parked under the rotors of one Apache with that big-assed cannon sticking out of the front of it beneath the cockpit while another one is stationary, three hundred feet above us. With an earth-shaking "whump-whump-whump", the black helo lands about a hundred feet from Lisa and my truck and these four guys bail off to secure the downed helo. The other two land on either side of the truck and we complete our rapid immobilization of the pilot and whisking him across this field to the first Medivac. I'm coordinating all this goings on with the 911 center on my handheld radio and having the time of my life. Minutes later, with both med helos lifting off and debris flying everywhere, a convoy of Humvees and duece and a halfs shows up and troops start bailing out in full battle dress gear, flak jackets, the whole nine yards. In seconds, they stream out and establish a permieter around the crash site and this Army officer goes over and starts screaming at Lisa to get this &#^%@%&*((@^@& vehicle out of his perimeter! She's about a basket case by now and just cries at him. I move the truck and for the rest of the evening, I'm running on adrenalin. Let's face it. That was a lot of fun and you just don't get to do that stuff very often, even when you do it for a living. It wasn't until a year or so later that my wife told me that that event was one of the most emotionally traumatizing things she'd ever experienced in her life and that she "did NOT enjoy it one bit!!!"

Girls!?!?!

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters