The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Mosquito Creek Annual Hunt Results

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mosquito Creek Annual Hunt Results
Melvin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 09:03 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
These people sure are slow!!I just got my flyer today!

Top Prizes
1st.45.5 lb.male coyote--->$5,466.25--->Shot with 270----->This guy must have blown at least 5 lbs. off this coyote.

2nd.43.9 lb.female coyote--->$3279.75--->Shot with 12 gauge--->This one gained a little weight with lead shot.

3rd.43.5 lb.female coyote--->$2186.50--->Shot with.22--->This guy was one of the few crack shots in the east??.

Methods used in hunting--->Calls-40,Dogs-48,Tracking-3,Driving-8,Sitting-2 And walking-1

Total hunters registerd--->4373
Total coyotes killed--->102

If you want to know more go to->www.mosquitocreeksportsman.com

One of the biggest coyote hunts in the country...Join up this year and give it your best shot....22 rifle?hmmm...Maybe he can afford a good rifle with what he won.

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 10:26 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody who doesn't think eastern coyote hunting is different just needs to look at these figures:

And dogs were the most used hunting style. Although no info about which type hunting was most successful.

I doubt any western contest has had over 4000 entrants. And less than one coyote per 40 hunters is a low that has probably never been seen west of the Mississippi.

That ratio of entrants to coyotes does make the prize money look good for the winners though!

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 03:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, it says only forty coyotes actually called.....if (and unless) they lie as good as western coyote hunters? That's 62 coyotes by other means?

But, this "contest" is nothing more than a lottery, I wonder if anybody got more than one?

Another unimpressive stat is the weights. Just where are all those 60 pound wolf hybreds, hiding?

Good hunting. LB

edit: (couldn't sleep)

[ May 14, 2005, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 03:14 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any posted yote-pics of this hunt?
Thanks

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 07:16 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs,
You could go to there website i posted above and check for pictures...I seen some pictures when the hunt first started out,other than that i haven't seen anymore...I never went to the web site to check yet.

Leonard,
Thats a very good question,i have no answere for that...I killed one that would have taken top purse but i took it a month before the hunt...That particular coyote went 491/2lbs...We had a real blizzard in south western pa. so i gave it up early..."lots of wind and blowing snow"...Top coyote the year before went a little over 48lbs.if i remember right?.

CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 01:52 PM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
The attendance for this hunt was done a little, I have seen it as high as 5500??? The prize money was also divided differently this year, last year first was 9300. The three top coyotes this year would not have been in the money last year, top dog last year was 52 lbs. I have never seen a 60 lb dog weighed at this hunt and I have been going for 12 years. The largest coyote I have seen weighed in PA is 64 lbs, I have heard of larger ones but do not know the truth behind the stories.

--------------------
Save a Deer Shoot a Road Hunter!
http://www.CritterBuster.com

Posts: 46 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 09:33 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
You are right CBGC the top dog was 52 lbs. Sorry for the mistake.The biggest coyote i have taken was 55 lbs.we took 2 that day,the first one went 52lbs.Both were taken in cameron county on ridge road,the first one was near the buffalo farm,the other above sizerville.I'm guessing you know both areas...I will post a picture of the biggest one as soon as i get this new scanner downloaded.
CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 02:20 PM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,
Pretty familiar with Cameron county, hunt the wild area every once and a while. Looking forward to seeing the picts of 55lb dog, that’s a big boy.

--------------------

Member # 567

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 06:49 AM      Profile for 222   Email 222         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anybody who doesn't think eastern coyote hunting is different just needs to look at these figures:
And dogs were the most used hunting style. Although no info about which type hunting was most successful.

I doubt any western contest has had over 4000 entrants. And less than one coyote per 40 hunters is a low that has probably never been seen west of the Mississippi.

Actually, 102 coyote turned in is a very high ##, not know if it is the record . Most years, you see numbers under 50, mostly in the 30's. 102 is a exceptional year.

Another point is most of the hunters participating are not your die hard predator hunter. The majority are your deer hunters. That is why you see yotes shot w/a .270. The other group that run dogs are the most sucessful.

Personally, I am not a real big fan of prize hunts. Money brings out the worst in people. The validity of these contests are questionable. Lets face it, how far would you go on a chance to win 10k??

Posts: 10 | From: Pa | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 10:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, 222. Glad to have you on board.

Regarding attendance on that hunt. Just a vague recolection on my part, but it seems to me that one year, a while back, the kill was something closer to FIVE animals, with 5,000 participants?

Maybe that was before the dogs?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
CBGC...I can't seem to be able to transfer a picture here'even had my daughter inlaw try...Don't know why?..maybe someone could help me out on that??.
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 10 posted May 22, 2005 02:08 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've seen more than 102 coyotes in my back yard. Not all at once, obviously. [Smile]

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 01:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, click on the FAQ and use UBB code. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Member # 567

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 12:36 PM      Profile for 222   Email 222         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, not sure when the dog runners were added or have been from day one. I do know that a lot of people were complaining that there is an advantage and the monies should be devided up differently. This year, there was an attempt on doing so.
Posts: 10 | From: Pa | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 01:48 PM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin if you R still having problems just email me the pick and I will post it for ya.

--------------------

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 06:29 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
CBGC...I sent the picture to

contact@critterbustercalls.com

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 06:31 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't go through on your posted e mail?
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 07:25 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,

How many megs is that picture? Most email servers won't accept much over 5 megs. Try reducing it to 150 ( Or less ) DPI

Then reduce the size to roughly 480 pixels ( In height ) by 640 Pixels ( In width ) width is more important than height.

If it still won't go, drop me a note and I'll send you my work addy. I'll reduce it and post it for you in about 24 hours after I get it.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 07:48 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tim,..If CBGC can't get it up there i will get back with you...I might have to rescan it,it didn't look to clear.
CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 02:55 AM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin's 55 pounder (Big Old Dog)

-

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 04:58 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,

That big boy, looks to be full of feral-cats! [Eek!] [Cool]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 06:58 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Details, Melvin, details! I've never seen a live coyote that big. Share the details.
Stand selection? Wind? Sun? Call used? Time on stand? Did he trot in? or sneak in on his belly?

IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 03:19 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
First i want to thank CBGC for posting the picture for me.Thanks CBGC

We made 2 setups that morning,the first was roughly 10 miles from the second setup,from which i took the large coyote. Action was fast that morning,it was very cold,about 20 deg.,the sky was clear and the wind was coming out of the north west between 5-10 miles per hr. The first coyote i called in that morning was a nice large male,and never thought i was gone to kill an even larger one later, (setting up at the 2nd. stand.)

The day before, i seen large coyote tracks, leading off the dirt road, onto a trail,leading into a huckle berry thicket. Following the trail,i broke out into a small clearing. Looking around i seen 3 more trails, leading in from opposit directions 'from big timber' on the far sides of the huckle berry thicket.Not knowing which trail the coyote was using wasn't much of a problem,unless he came down the one my scent crossed(if the wind stayed out of the northwest).I picked out a large pine tree from which i would make my setup,and hoped the wind would hold. The next morning luck held out,the wind was the same direction and the setup under the pine (gave me a cross wind.)I made 3 sub dominate howls and waited.Within a minuite or so,i seen movement, coming up the trail to my left, and at an angle towards me.His head was high and he was looking for that coyote that just howled. When he stepped into the clearing, was when i knowed this was no ordenary size coyote.Well it didn't take all day to administer the coup degrace,and kill the biggest coyote i've taken so far...A tad over 55lbs.

Call-My own made howler
Method calling-Sub dominate howls
Weapon-243-85 gr.sierra loaded down
2960 ft. per sec.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters