The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Antelope Hunt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antelope Hunt
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 09:10 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,
My son turns 12 next March. Ever since he started hunting deer at 7, I have promised him a antelope hunt when he came of age.

Could you help me a bit in direction to make this happen next year? If your interested, maybe some guide fees, or at least help me with what I need to do to get tags and some good areas with alot of BLM we could do it on our own?

I dont think he cares if hes in B-C right off the bat, but just wanna show him a good hunt. Hes a good kid and hell of a shot. Probably better than his ole man. [Smile] Hes killed 4 deer now with 4 shots.

I have some friends around Rawlins. I saw a ton of antelope there the last time we visited.

Just wanted to pick your brain a bit and see if you could help out any.

Thanks
Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 06:20 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,
Rawlins and that area is great, lots of antelope and lots of public land, but tags are hard to draw. Thats mostly what you'll find. Where the tags are easy and plentiful, the land will be mostly private and leased by outfitters. Where there is alot of public land the tags are down in the 30% or so draw range. So you get to pick, Either take your chances with the draw for a couple years, or take you chances with an outfitter. (but I can recommend a good one, with 100% success on antelope).

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 06:55 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Cal.

I gotta go out of town for a few days. Ill get back with you when I get back and maybe see what you got.

Thanks Again
Andy

--------------------
Andy

Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 10:05 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
30% I like those odds most of the units in AZ are 2% or less.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but maybe part of the reason is there is (really) only a couple areas where you stand a decent chance?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2005 05:20 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, myself and two frinds had no problem taking antelope around Shirly Basin back in the early 90s. We seen antelope all over southern Wyoming at the time.

Where I live the percentage on public land antelope is high. All the people that stayed at our motel took buck antelope, with the biggest being 16" by a guy named Tom Brown.

Only problem about NM antelope hunting is you either have to pay alot of money to some outfitter( as much as $4500 )or pay a rancher $1500 or get super lucky and draw and tag. It has come down to a money game here I'm sad to say. [Frown]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 11:09 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
One Coyote,
I was in your town about 10:30 yesterday morning. I didnt know which motel was yours. Was gonna stop in and say howdy and see the museum.

Saw some good antelope just north of there as well. Im not an expert on antelope at all, but they sure looked good to me.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 02:10 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy L. to bad, would have enjoyed meeting you. It's the only motel that says welcome hunters lol You don't have to be an expert to know a nice looking antelope when you see one and we have lots of them out here.

My wife and I saw a double droped horned antelope this morning, never seen anything like it before. It almost looked like a deer if you could picture that and it had very large horns.

I also have some pictures of two antelope locked up fighting, antelope can't lock up but I have some pictures of it.

They fought all day into the night before a bunch of guys could get them apart. The coyotes got one, the other made it to see another day.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 04:08 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

--------------------

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 04:17 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

--------------------

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 04:22 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

--------------------

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 07:55 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool pics Loco. Charlene and I are going to try and take a picture of that double dropped horn antelope if we can find it again. I have several pictures of the locked up antelope I'll try to post. I think NASA may have posted some before?

--------------------

yuccabush
Member # 582

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 03:01 PM      Profile for yuccabush   Email yuccabush         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny has some world class antelope just a little north of his motel. Its hard to get drawn for tags though.

Here is the antelope pics he is talking about.

-

My brother has some nice video footage.

Posts: 67 | From: Bernalillo | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 04:50 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Great photos guys. Keep 'em coming!

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 04:57 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Yucca, It would take me all day to figure out how to do that lol.

--------------------

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,
If you get time, could you email me at
plaughlin001@charter.net

Maybe we could talk about outfitting an antelope hunt next year? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Andy

--------------------
Andy

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters