The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » C abela's---- Anti trapping??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: C abela's---- Anti trapping???
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 06:25 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something for you guys to ponder.
As most of you know we have a new video coming out. It is calling summertime coyotes using decoy dogs and most of it was filmed while actually doing control work. I filmed some stuff with another local county trapper and in one segment we showed some livestock kills and he explained that these particular coyotes had been hard to call and decoy because that particular rancher was using guard dogs, so he had set some traps and cleaned them up. We showed a coyote in a trap. This coyote was completely docile in the trap. We didn't show him hitting the end of the chain or any kind of a struggle, and we didn't show the trapper killing the coyote either. Anyway we have sent out a few preliminary copies to various vendors, and the reply from Cabela's was that they would only take the video if we removed the trapped coyote from the video. So of course the trapped coyote is out, because of sales concerns, but the more I think about it the madder I get.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 07:23 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal. This is sickening. They are forcing us to abandon a great American heritage through our own pocket books.

I understand you had to remove it are loose a years work. America did not mind when only the trappers would go out west and suffer the consequences, and dangers of a unknown land. It was the trappers that discovered the routs,and passes so the west could be settled.

Now all the Hollywood types live on the mountain tops and decry everything about trapping. Trapping is dear to my heart and I could rave on about this for days. There are many catalogs in my pile. Now the stack will be just a little shorter.

Ronnie

Edited for over reaction.

[ May 26, 2005, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: varmit hunter ]

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 07:34 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Cabelas has done a couple of things lately that piss me off. This being the latest.

I would guess the days of hunting videos, period, are probably numbered. Its just a shame that a "sportsmans outlet", would succumb to that mentality.

Give and inch, they take a mile.

Sorry to hear that Cal.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 08:19 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem somewhat odd given the reality of all other facits of hunting they and other sporting goods stores cater too.

Will a Director's Cut be available?

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 10:53 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, you beat me to the punch. That's exactly the question I was going to ask. [Wink]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 11:57 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't make alot of sense. I could understand why they wouldn't want to carry alot of trapper supply items, expecially the lures and the baits, but refuse to sell a video with a short clip of a trapped coyote? Jeez, they even sell TP&C in their book and library departments.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 12:16 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
No, sorry guys, no directors cut. It seems that to get these copies made it is more expensive to do it with two different videos. There will just be one. I have an original or two, and I sent a few out. Rich Cronk has one, Scott Huber, Rob Meyers, so I guess that makes theirs collectors items.

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 12:39 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh... If they are going to make you remove a mild scene like that, I guess I shouldn't feel so bad. Cabela's never responded to me at all [Smile] . Sportsman's Warehouse declined to carry my videos, said they were too graphic, and too much killing. That was probably a blessing in disguise, really, as I'm not at all sure I want anymore locals knowing about me. I get too many emails every week asking me where to hunt already.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 12:54 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA
I am curious. What was your reaction to Gary over at SW? I guess I just got off on the wrong foot.

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 01:38 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, it's been long enough, I really can't remember exactly how I responded (it was on the phone). But my response was probably a standard, courteous, business-speak version of "Thanks, have a nice day and eff you too".

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 02:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I looked at your site, an hour ago. Nice pictures, good articles on load development, and a nice recomendation for HM. Thank you.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 02:32 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, Killin, is killin. Whether it be by gun, trap, posion, or ran over by a tank, ect, ect. It's interesting how some people who have stuffed animals or sell guns or traps or whatever. Draw the line on something such as what you guys are talking about.

Reminds me of a guy, I once knew. Went by the name; Joe Goody-two-shoes...Ya heard of'em?

Please excuse me now, I want to vommit.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 03:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, in most cases, we have the responsiblity of dispatching an animal as quickly and as humanely as possible. Therefore, there are a few methods that I personally do not approve of; as a sportsman. Baited hooks come to mind, for instance. I also oppose air gunning on public land. That might be a hot button topic, but I think it is unjustified. I'd rather see them shoot mustangs and burros.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 03:37 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really too bad Cal.

I've got a friend that lives up in the forest near Clark for a couple of months every summer. How far away it that from you? He caught an 8 lb. trout up there last year.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 04:10 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
OK Leonard, just remember, you started it.

Here is my opinion of aerial Gunning and Wildlife services.

They should not be allowed on public land, that the general public is not allowed access to.

Ranchers who will not allow public access should be charged the full, actual costs for government trappers and aerial gunners.

I see no reason to share my tax dollars with someone too stingy to share access to public lands.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really good news Cal. NOT! :>( I just emailed them and am curious what the reply will be.

"I would like to know just where your company's stand is on the sport/way of living of trapping. I was just reading the posts on a favorite hunting BB and Cal Taylor said that he has a new coyote video out and upon talking to Cabelas, it was rejected for consideration of sale due to a scene showing a coyote in a trap. What is the story? Are you seriously willing to alienate this huge segment of the population and possibly a tremnedous amout of people that will jump on the same wagon? I'd like an official answer to this very important topic. Thank you, Loren P. Coffin."

Complete with typos too...

[ May 26, 2005, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Doggitter ]

Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 06:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And, you know what, Loren? They will claim that they get a lot more complaints from animal lovers. The problem with that is.....they are not the customers that buy Cabella's stuff.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 07:06 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to give my thoughts on this,but i'm to damned boiling mad right at the moment [Mad]
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 07:09 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what their reply will be either Doggitter. I'm sure they are overloaded with videos wanting in and be as critical as they choose. I know John Graham has had no luck getting his trapping videos in there, and they are very high quality, so I assume it is a trapping deal all the way around. But I would appreciate not getting on them too much until they at least carry the video, LOL! They might give us the boot before we get in the door. The name of the video is "Going to the Dogs".

As for you guys and aerial gunning. You need to remember that its not only to benefit ranchers, but alot is done for wildlife, and yes some of that wildlife is in inaccessable areas, but there is alot of spill over. If not for some control our deer and antelope here would be wiped out. States like Utah, Nevada, and Wyoming are at all time lows for sheep production and most of the stuff the Feds are doing is for wildlife, not livestock. Our county programs (not federal)here are ran by collecting a head tax from livestock producers. For every head of livestock they sell 50 cents to a dollar is held out for predator control, and that is the major funding of our programs, so they are paying for alot of the air time here. And when the programs are low on funding and they want the plane they pay for it completely out of their own pockets. So at least for Wyoming, alot of the money designated for livestock protection comes out of the ranchers own pockets. And that still helps wildlife. You guys know as well as I do that recreational calling and trapping will not begin to control populations since the demise of 1080. That was the last time that there was any true contol of coyote populations. As it is now we can all hunt as hard as we want and the populations will still increase. Or at least that is my opinion.

[ May 26, 2005, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------

Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 09:23 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind...:>)

On second thought.. I'm sorry if I used your name when I shouldn't have. I know, I'm slow. Didn't occur to me until I posted here. :>(

[ May 26, 2005, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Doggitter ]

RanUtah
Member # 18

Icon 9 posted May 27, 2005 03:46 PM      Profile for RanUtah   Email RanUtah         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a real bummer Cal. I have a copy of Cal's video and don't see a problem with the trapped coyote in the scene. I bet a hundred dollar bill that theres other videos that they do carry that has far worse. This dosen't even compare. WTH? The coyote is just laying there and appears to be in no pain what so ever. I just wonder who reviews the videos anyway. Is it just more than one person, a committee or what? Arrgh... The more I think about it.............. [Mad]
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay,

Wasn't it Cabela's that you had problems with, when you published your book?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2005 06:45 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, its a damn shame you had to give into these people,but a man got to make a living. We that trap are a minority bunch in the sporting world and we take more of a beating than any other sportsman, we can see no end to it. I think back when a youngster would catch a mink,muskrat or a small fur bearing animal and see that proud look on his face for catching his first animal. Today if that young guy would make an anouncement in school that he caught his first fur,they probably would expell him for a few days...this makes me hot,very hot and where will it end? Damn world is full of a** h****...By the way,they will never get a dime of my money.

[ May 27, 2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 06:13 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the only response I've gotten back from Cabela's on the video.

Loren,

I read your question below. I am the buyer for the video category. There
is no stance in my video selection that in anyway is against trapping. I
have added many varmint hunting videos and have had good luck with most.
This seems to be a growing market and I think that it is great. I grew
up running trap lines for coyotes in western Nebraska, and fully
understand the need to keep their numbers at bay. If the video that you
mentioned below was rejected it definitely was not on a anti-trapping
bases. Thanks for your support.

Eric Wieser
Product Manager
(308) 254-5505

Nice of our freind Eric to explain exactly why this happened in the first place. Ha!

Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 09:06 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really Tim.
Totally different.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters