The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Such a puzzlement? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Such a puzzlement?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2005 08:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The subject of fossil fuel reserves is a deep subject.

Some people claim we are running out, some say we aren't, but it's still better to buy Arabian light sweet crude, than to use what we have because it is so simple to crack. Then again, they say we import more oil from South America, and that stuff is thicker than molasses.

Ever heard of the Elk Hills Naval Reserve field? If you have every been anywhere around Taft, CA it looks a lot like Saudi fields with pumps in columns and rows, everywhere.

Then, they say we are dumping crude into salt caverns down in the gulf, saving it for a rainy day. Strategic supplies.

Some oil is easier to pump than others, need to inject steam to get it flowing, so they cap it until it's needed, etc.

Then, there is all the oil offshore, like in California, but the ecoNazis scream about "potential" spills, etc.

And, the U.S. does have the world's largest supplies of oil shale and coal deposits. That's the stuff the Germans were forced to use when they got chased out of North Africa.

You know what they say about statistics and damned liars.....

Anyway, why are we concerned about running out of oil in 500 years? That sounds a bit like the buggy whip shortages in the late nineteeth century. Man! What a crisis that was! The point being that we don't know if Hydrogen may power our vehicles by then, which is the most abundant element in the universe.

We keep hearing from Chicken Little that the sky is falling, but they keep discovering new fields.

So, why is gas so damned expensive and who's banking all that excess profit?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2005 11:33 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is some information that may be interesting on the subject.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/usa.html

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 13 posted August 16, 2005 03:27 AM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive my pun Leonard but this is....well....a deep subject. Your gonna get some guys off on a tirade bringing this kind of stuff up. Before you know it you will have the Kennedy conspiracy guys chiming in and who knows what next.

I am involved in another thread on another board with Jack Roberts on this subject. It is kind of a benign discussion for now but has the potential to be some fun. Over here, might stay civil....might be interesting. Good luck.

Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 14 posted August 16, 2005 03:49 AM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Great info Melvin. I want to read this in its totality when I have the time. That is quite a report.

One thing that did jump up at me in the very top of the report is something I had mentioned on the other board, the statement that we have the largest known coal reserves in the world. Germany used coal to produce fuel for it's war machine. The technology is known to us and we have the largest reserves of coal in the world.

I do not understand why it is not pursued. They say it is too expensive. That may have been true at WWII prices but surely not now. Surely with the advances in technology we could discover a clean and affordable way of doing that conversion. Throw in Hydrogen fuel cell development and maybe we could just someday tell the Arabs to survive by drinking their own oil in the sand. [Mad]

[ August 16, 2005, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Gerald Stewart ]

Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 07:27 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Shortage my ass...

If there's a shortage why has no one run out yet? I have yet to see a gas station put a sign up saying that they were out of gas that day. Just as many cars at the pump as always.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 03:03 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem, as I see it, stems from the reduction in total numbers of refineries operating in the U.S., out of control ecological policies with no scientific basis hamstringing any future endeavor at establishing new refineries, and the fact that every damned county in this country seems to have its own mandated "blend" of fuel and additives - another form of ecological hostage taking of the U.S. consumer dollar.

I say we offer the Saudis $20 a barrel. Flat rate. Take it or leave it. If they leave it, we'll deal with Mexico and Venezuela, even Russia who are all more and willing to provide us with quality oil. Maybe even start refining our own which will compel us to uncap all the dormant wells here in Kansas that sit idle. In time, they'll either see things our way, or they'll learn how to survive eating sand and camel shit. [Smile]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 08:46 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL....Cdog I agree!

All I know is that its a 45 min drive to and from work every day for me. Thats the price I pay I gess for living in the country. Its costing me about 60 bucks a week just to get to and from work! My raise this year wont even cover the raise in gas prices! From Jan to May I worked 6-7 days a week, so it cost me even more those weeks to get to work and Im company so I dont get payed over time!

The way I see it is they are killing the working man, we work for taxes, gas, and medical Ins! Thats just about it. What little we have left we haft to use to keep the lights turned on and bills payed up!

What a crock of shit! $2.69 a gallon here! And its getting worse every time I drive by the pumps! It just flat sucks! [Mad]

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joe Manes
Member # 686

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2005 08:29 PM      Profile for Joe Manes   Email Joe Manes         Edit/Delete Post 
As most already know, Ive been a fan of biodiesel for a while now.

Its really the least taxing way to convert at least some of the existing vehicles to a different fuel.

Think on a foreign policy scale for a minute.
One way to absolutely kick the sticks out of the terrorist community is to make oil worthless. One way to do that is for demand to dry up.

Terrorists run on thier bank accounts.

Posts: 31 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barndog
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2005 12:19 PM      Profile for Barndog   Author's Homepage   Email Barndog         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe any hasn't mentioned Canada who are our largest suppliers. http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html
And how are they doing it. Open pit mining. They have the same oil there as there is in UT, NV and Idaho. About ten years ago I meet some scientist out on the UT-NV border mapping oil. These guys said that there is more oil along that border than the Saudi's could dream of. Here is another site of a find in UT
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600131526,00.html
And they think that this seam of oil runs into dry lake valley in southern NV.

Posts: 185 | From: Idaho | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2005 06:50 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine here in Elko runs his diesel truck on old cooking oil that he gets free from restaurants. He has been doing this for years. In winter he has to use a blend because pure cooking oil is too thick but 7 months of the year pure cooking oil.

It smells like french fries when he drives by.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 04:18 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Something I've wondered about; Why can't we index the price of a bushel of export grain to the price of a barrel of import oil??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dogleg
Member # 662

Icon 10 posted August 20, 2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Dogleg   Email Dogleg         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli,
It wouldn't work. Like it or not grain is selling to a glutted market. Oil prices are high because the market demand will support it. A producer will sell for the best price that they can get.
You could develope a domestic policy of tieing grain to oil prices. That wouldn't help. Internationally if you raised grain prices the world market would tell you to keep it. They will not overpay for wheat any more than you would turn down cheaper oil.
Mike

Posts: 30 | From: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 10:16 AM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Oil Prices are high because the Consumer has no choice but to pay what the oil companies charge.

The average American can not stop driving to work, nor can they stop heating their homes.

When oil companies report 13 to 30 BILLION dollar profits over the same quarter last year, which they reported 13 to 30 BIllION dollar profits over the same period the year before, something is wrong.

I am all for capatolism and making a buck, but this is one industry that needs to be regulated by the government. Much as I hate government interference in my life, something has to be done.

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 03:27 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I am not an alarmist nor a conspiracy theorist (as a rule) and as a libertarian I voted for Bush over Gore. However the current gasoline crisis, during the watch of the current president and vice-president, both OIL MEN, certainly raises the issue of confict of interest. Even if all their oil assets are in blind trust during their tenure, they can only profit from the record profits that all the oil companies are reporting. Money is power and the favor of the rich and powerful oil companies is also power.
Just because Bush is a Republican president doesn't make him anymore ethical than Nixon.
Pope John Paul reportedly stated, just before he died, that he thought Bush was the Anti-Christ as foretold in Revelations.

IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 03:40 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] What? Now that's something I would like to read about. Rich, do you still have a link to that story?
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"John Paul reportedly stated, just before he died, that he thought Bush was the Anti-Christ as foretold in Revelations."
-------
I would like to see some real proof. I can't believe that Pope John Paul actually said that.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 05:24 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I don't have a link. That was among the innumerable news articles following the Pope's death. I know only that it appeared in the Arizona Republic and it struck me in the same way it did you.
Try a Google?

IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 06:44 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
In the past few days, Fox News and "others" have had talking heads on their shows - presumed experts on the oil industry - and all are stating that gas will approach $5 a gallon by this time next year. They also say that despite higher fuel prices, we're using more gasoline now than a year ago. I don't know who we is, but my family has started implementing some pretty serious efforts to curtail spending across our household budget to make more money available to cover heating costs this winter.

Agriproducers in this part of the country are already taking drastic measures to curtail costs. One guy just cancelled his lease on 1,000 acres of prime wheat ground because he's already barely able to make any money after the costs of diesel to work it, drill it, fertilize it, and the like. Several others are considering the same thing. That ground will sit idle rather than burning any diesel to work it. This past harvest, a full 30% of custom harvesters had sold out compared to last year. Those that were left were charging a premium for their services. We keep hearing about trickle down and boys, it's a coming. The farm belt is starting to hurt bad from this seige on gas prices, and if you think gas prices are bad, wait until you see how much milk and bread will cost. Somebody has to cover the costs because you know the makers and truckers are going to have to make enough to cover their costs.

Rich, I can see a bunch of Bush-hating liberals starting a BS rumor like that. Having said that, I'm beginnig to get a little irritated at my Congressmen. After all, they process the legislation long before it ever gets to W's desk and I'll be damned if I fall into the groove of putting it all on the President. Reps and Sens don't get off easy on this one as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 07:10 PM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am not a Bush Bashing Bedwetter either....but....

If you dont think there is someone giving the old hose to someone else on this deal consider these gas prices. Then explain how China is using all the gass and the global economy is so strong that it is causing the oil prices to go up.

This month the price of gas in

Kuwait 68 cents a gallon
Saudia Arabiac 92 cents a gallon
Egypt 59 cents a gallon
Venezeula 12 cents a gallon

The places where gas is 2, 3, 4, 5, even 6 bucks a gallon - like Europe and the US, are all places where a few very big companies control the gas and oil.

We pay because we have to and they know it. Not because of a shortage or the world economy. Bush wont step in, nor will Congress. Too much of that money is going to the same politicians we are holding accountable for this glut.

If gas goes to 5 bucks a gallon, the US will become more of a thrid world country than it is now.

--------------------

THO Game Calls

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 07:36 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Kuwait 68 cents a gallon
Saudia Arabiac 92 cents a gallon
Egypt 59 cents a gallon
Venezeula 12 cents a gallon

If this is true, this is the kind of facts that should be dominating the news. At least we should be hearing it from the likes of Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity. [Mad]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 08:34 PM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the link for August 19th. The funny thing is, the prices have gone DOWN since March of this year in these countries.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/19/news/international/global_gasprices/

--------------------

THO Game Calls

Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2005 10:16 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
US politicians have no control over the price of gas(except when they raise taxes or enviornmental regulations on it)

OPEC totally controls the world price for oil. Period, end of discussion. They release more, the price goes down, they release less, the price goes up.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2005 06:54 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not the brightest bulb in the lamp, but I see the high gas prices as having a much more far reaching effect on our economy than simply the price of gas at the pump. We will be seeing a ripple effect here, and we will soon be paying more for EVERYTHING. I see the bottom dropping out of our economy because of the never ending hunger for money that the oil barons have.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2005 07:22 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
True, Jack, but how much of the price on any given gallon of gas is taxes, especially in places like CA, and how many of our laws regulating the construction of new refineries, not to mention the uncapping of oil wells across this country becasue we don't have sweet enough crude is simply the greenies imposing their misguided environmental policies on us without credible scientific facts to support their arguments?

I agree about OPEC, and that situation is only exacerbated by the Chinese's new insatiable appetite for oil forcing us to compete for OPEC's attention. If Bush and the GOP expect to survive this situation, this time around, they need to be exploring some options here. I'm a Bush supporter, but even I am trying my best not to get damned mad about the appearance of improprieties. If they don't, the worst case scenario of Hitlery as a real contender for President may come to fruition. And I don't think my annual NRA dues will be enough to thwart upcoming attacks on guns, health care, and keeping the money I make rather than it being shoveled into new federal entitlement programs. This oil issue could easily blossom into a huge and dangerous political monster and no one will win. (At least, no one that works for a living.)

--------------------

TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2005 10:27 AM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Roberts Wrote

" Period, end of discussion. "

OK, have it your way.

Al

--------------------

THO Game Calls

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters