The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » THIS is why!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THIS is why!!!
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 03:37 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I just need to vent here. About three months ago, I made a modest donation to a cancer-related organization that buys supplies for cancer patients that normally aren't covered by their insurance. I'm not able to do this often because of the simple fact that I have a family to take care of and we have faced some pretty serious fiscal challenges the past five years and are just now getting our heads above water.

Despite the fact that we are on the national and Kansas no call lists, I average two to three phone calls a day from various charitable orgnaizations wanting a part of my checkbook. Frankly, this really chaps my ass. We give when we can, but only to groups whose name I recognize and who are known to use the money wisely and with minimal administrative costs.

The first group apparantly sold my name and number to all these groups as yet another way to make money. I'll be sending them a short but pointed note asking them to remove me from their mailing and calling lists as I will not contribute to them anymnore because they misused my information for their own benefit.

Between the American Red Cross and various other organizations that can use my extra money locally, I'm keeping any extra ching I have local from here on out. Call me a hard ass, but I'm getting tired of phone calls from people I've never heard of who have the audacity to get rude and insulent with me when I'm not willing to just hand over my cash simply because they know my phone number. They really give "charity" a bad name. [Mad]

How do the rest of you deal with this?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 04:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I let them pitch my machine. Most hang up. If they do leave a message, it is simple to delete. If it is somebody I want to talk to, I pick it up. I almost never answer the phone unless someone on the other end offers an identification.

But, my wife likes to answer, lay the phone down and go about her business for as long as they keep talking. When it comes time for the arm bending part, she either asks them to repeat everything or politely tells them she is not interested; thereby wasting their time more than her's. They seem to find it quite agravating?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31492 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 06:18 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I think you're good there. Same as mailing back an empty prepaid envelope. The junk mailers don't pay for that mailing unless it's used.
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 08:17 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto!
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pilgrim on Earth
Member # 314

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2005 08:42 PM      Profile for Pilgrim on Earth   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Try this...a friend sent this to me the other day.

---

The phone rang as I was sitting down to my anticipated evening meal, and as I answered it I was greeted with " Is this Wilhiam Wagenhoss?"
-- not sounding anything like my name, so I said "Who is calling?" The telemarketer said he was with The Rubber Band Powered Freezer Company or something like that and then I asked him if he knew Wilhiam personally and why was he calling this number. I then said off to the side, "Get really good pictures of the body and all the blood," then turned back to the phone and advised the caller that he had entered a murder scene and must stay on the line because we had already traced this call and he would be receiving a summons to appear in the local courthouse to testify in this murder case.

I then questioned the caller at great length as to his name, address, phone number at home! , at work, who he worked for, how he knew the dead guy and could he prove where he had been about one hour before he made this call. The telemarketer was getting very concerned and his answers were given in a shaky voice. I then told him we had located his position at his work place and the police were entering the building to take him into custody. At that point I heard the phone fall and the scurrying of his running away.

My wife asked me as I returned to our table why I had tears streaming down my face and so help me, I couldn't tell her for about fifteen minutes.

My meal was cold, but very enjoyable!
---

Worth a try.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 54 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2005 04:11 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sick of this. I answered out of curisoity this time. I usually hang up when I hear the hesitation, (if I answer at all) but I guess I'm up for a bad mood tonight.

I just got a phone call from some Indonesian or Cuban individual telling me some bank wants me to know I'll be recieving a Mastercard. I hung up right there.

The no call list doesn't seem to phase anyone. The sonsobitches call non stop. It either comes up as "unavailable", or some off the wall number without a name on my caller ID.

These people, whatever they are, are all the same and I can barely understand a thing they say which makes the whole deal that much worse. Where ever they find these people, they must like getting hung up on. I could find a better job for $2.50 per hour than that!

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2005 06:33 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all a memory for me, as I've not yet answered the phone since moving into our new house over 3 months ago... I think there's an answering machine, but I haven't checked it, either. Simply put, if you don't have my cell #, you ain't gonna get me on the phone.

But, back when I used to answer the phone, I had one simple rule for telemarketers. If they pronounced my last name correctly (pronounced exactly as it is spelled), I'd at least tell them "not interested" before hanging up. Not even 1 in 10 ever pronounced my name correctly... Which, by the way, is Affleck, again, pronounced exactly as it is spelled. Seems easy enough to me?

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 07:51 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

I've always used pretty much the same rule. Only my name doesn't sound like it spells It's pronounced Bee-Lee. Unless you know the family, or speak Spanish as a first language ( They pronounce all vowels and H is silent ) you probably won't get it right.

Besides, with two 16 year olds in the house, the phone rarely rings for me. Work has to call me on the cell, just because the regular line is always busy.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 11:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys think you have problems? Try pronouncing a simple three sylable name like Bo-sin-ski. It usually comes out as Bosnik, Boinki, or some variation where they make an attempt, but don't finish. The game I play. They mangle my name, and know that they are mangling my name, and then ask if they have said it correctly? And, no matter how they say it, I always say either that it was close enough or (straight face) "yeah, that's right". They usually perceive that I am screwing with them, but don't dare dispute me. I love it.

Good hunting. LB

edit: Tim, I thought, for many years, it was the "e" that was silent. "BEAL" Higgins told me, about a year ago. and I wasn't too sure that he knew what he was talking about! lol

[ September 03, 2005, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31492 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters