The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Coming to the Call Volume III (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Coming to the Call Volume III
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 02:53 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Here is another outstanding video that is a "must have". This is Byron's best, each one has raised the bar, improving on the preceding video. This video will appeal to callers of all experience and skill levels because of it's excellence and because of the controversy it will surely generate.
There is a lot of truly excellent videotape of predators in this video with two clips that are absolutely spectacular. The scene of the intruder coyote coming in cautiously with his head down and suddenly is busted by the two residents is capable of selling any calling video all by itself. Unfortunately I think only experienced callers will understand what happens there. The scenes of the fox working himself up to take on the decoy is the equivalent, to me, of a seven point trophy elk. Hard to imagine anything better.
Byron, the quality of video from that Sony of yours is great. The quality of your skill with that camera is made even more obvious when one of your hunting buddies mans the camera. It emphasizes the fact that there is alot more involved than just turning on the camera and following the action. Their involvement added a little downhome flavor and enjoyment to the action.
In Volume 1 when the first coyote came in and was shot you and your companion jumped up and congratulated each other, even though the first coyote indicated another was back in the cover. You corrected that in the second video and addressed the proper tactic at least twice in Volume 111. I hope that in a future video I will see you instructing your audience to remain quiet and avoid talking on stand. On the first 4 stands in this video the coyotes busted you and your shooters even though the caller and decoy were set up at a distance from the hunters . The talking on stand drew their attention from the caller and decoy to you. I saw at least three coyotes turn and hightail it after busting you for that reason. During your instruction clip you do inform the audience of the need to approach the stand withoput alerting the coyotes to your presence. You state that they should not slam vehicle doors and not talk on the way to the stand. I still don't understand why you believe that talking on stand will not bust you.
Your instructional narrative was well done with some very good tips. I didn't agree with everything you said, but that is just a difference in opinion. Something the members of this board are probably familiar with. [Smile]
When you spoke to the audience at the stand to explain what happened on that stand, your personality was showcased and you came across as personable and likeable, down to earth, right down to the chew under your lip. I think you did great.
I do believe that you are going to stir up quite a bit of controversy from the "Eastern" callers because of your references to Texas as "here in the East" and to Texas coyotes as "Eastern coyotes". I know and understand that the techniques that you exhibit and explain to the audience will surely work in any thick cover and broken terrain. However canis latrans frustror of east Texas is not canis latrans var. of New England, N.Y., and PA. and that is the animal that is referenced when speaking of the "Eastern" coyote and those Pa. boys are righteously territorial about their Eastern coyotes.
Overall, you have a powerful passion for this sport along with the skill to capture some of the most entertaining predator video I've seen. There is no doubt that you will become one of the celebrity big names of this sport as you continue to produce excellent videos.

Just my opinion. I may be wrong.
Dennis Miller [Smile]

IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 03:20 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
That's about the tamest thing I have ever heard from "Dennis Miller". [Confused]

One of my favorite segments was the patience shown from Todd waiting for the coyote at his 3 o'clock to look away before repositioning for a shot. They always look away. They always do.

I also enjoyed the loud shot that scared the coyote and caused him to YIPE! and take off running. Wait a minute. That wasn't a coyote. That was thunder spooking Byron off his stool.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
canine
Knows what it's all about
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 03:20 PM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
excellent constructive criticism Rich. lookin forward to watching Byron's video.

JD

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 03:52 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Byron,..you trying to compare the skimpy ass texas coyote to the eastern coyote?..And yer tumble weed to our thick eastern woods?..If ya are,i think i will have to buy your video [Razz]
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 05:20 PM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I bought a copy, watched it, liked it, watched it again and liked it the second time.

Some of the country looked like some of the land I hunt here in NH, but it's true, most did not. No matter, it was still a good way to spend a few hours with my son. I'm glad I bought it.

Al

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 11:22 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the review Rich, glad you enjoyed it.

Jay,THO, Thanks as well.

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2005 03:25 PM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
Byron,
I have watched your video a couple times and I was surprised how much a few scenes look like PA farm country and a couple of the dogs have some muscle to them. The camera work is good stuff and your tips are great. What kind of Sony R ya using? I bought the Sony HDR a while back and I am very impressed with it. Its low light capabilities R unreal (like having night vision) and so is the clarity. It will be interesting to see how it handles the cold wet weather around the bend.

--------------------
Save a Deer Shoot a Road Hunter!
http://www.CritterBuster.com

Posts: 46 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
CBGC
I am thinking about the HDV because it can record in high def 1080 format and also 720.

This is very attractive to me in that I can utilize all my current editing software until such time the HD editing software industry catches up.

What mode do you shoot in and what editing software do you use?

By the way Byron. Loved your lastest video. Will you be making one for Calling the Wideass Open Stuff?

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2005 04:40 PM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
jay,
I film in HD and use Sony Vegas for editing. How do U know Byron loved my video, I didn’t even know I had one. I think ya would be happy with the HDR and if ya want to see some clips email me your credit card # and I will send ya a link to a few. Have a good day!

--------------------
Save a Deer Shoot a Road Hunter!
http://www.CritterBuster.com

Posts: 46 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 08:19 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

I think you have misunderstood what I have said about talking on stand. I agree that it is not a good idea to talk on stand, but sometimes while guiding, filming or just hunting with buddies it is necessary for communication. When I'm looking at a coyote through my scope I have no idea if I have the footage that I need without this communication. When I am filming, I like to keep my shooters informed when I have the footage I need and give them the go ahead for the shot. Most of the time if you speak in a low tone the coyotes are completely unaware of the talking. On a few occasions we get busted but usually still kill the coyote (which is our goal). When we do talk on stand it is only out of necessity and keep it to a bare minimum and at very low volume. The coyotes that you mention that busted us in the first 4 scenes (most of these died btw [Big Grin] ), probably busted us because of camera movement more than anything else.

CBGC,

I use a Sony VX2000 and have been very satisfied with it. If you Sony is any where near as tough as mine you will be very satisfied as well. I have drug this camera through some pretty harsh environments and it has never let me down.

Melvin,

If you saw the video and no one told you it was in Texas. Texas would be the last place you think it was filmed. East Texas terrain is in fact no different that most of the Eastern states. And the coyotes here act no different than they do in most of the eastern states. I,m sure this will cause some controversy and I'm ok with that because I know it was produced with intentions of giving tips to guys that are limited to hunting in this type terrain. It does that and if guys will look past the Texas part most will take something of value from it. No tumbleweeds and, no skinny West Texas coyotes here.

Thanks again,

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 12:22 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Byron,i was just razzing you with that post...I orderd volume 3,from you and will be waiting anxiously to get it...I will give you my honest opinion after i watch it.(The prevue,was very good)
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 01:20 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Byron. About eight years ago I was involved with a very large hunt. We had as many as three writers on each stand plus the camera man.

I came up with a idea that worked great for us, and we still use it now. I taped coaxer bulbs on everyone's rifle, plus the camera tripod. I explained one squeak mint the Animal was on the left, two mint the right. The camera man would squeak once when he was ready for us to shoot. I also explained that fast squeaking was me trying to coax the animal in closer.

I have squeakers taped on my bow, all my rifles, and tripods. Give it a try. It will cut down on 90% of vocal communications on the stand,such as, whispering, whistling, talking, loud cussing, and even yodeling.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 02:31 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,

Thanks for the order. Hope you enjoy the DVD. I knew you were just razzing [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] .

Ronnie,

I've tried the squeaky bulb things too and have had lot of guy hunt with me that have them mounted on their guns. I used to even have one on mine. I took it off because people get their signals confused in the excitement. I had two guy hunting with me last year that both had these squeakers on their rifles. Every time we had a coyote close or coming they would start with them dang squeakers. Drove me nuts and screwed us on a couple of stands. I quickly removed the dang squeakers and told them to just be still and let me make the noise. I have noticed that whispering is more audible to coyotes and game animals than low talking. I have a pop up blind that my kids and I can all fit in. We sit in it and watch deer feeding at no more than 10 yards. If we just talk in with a low volume but not whisper they seem not to be able to hear us as well as when we whisper. Noticed this with Hogs two. Have you ever drove up on hogs at a feeder on your 4 wheeler and have them unaware your there. I have, many times. Once you kill the 4wheeler they immediately hear it shutting off and run off. The low hum of it running seems to not even be heard. We figured this out and when we drive up on them now we just leave the 4-wheeler running, get off and then stalk up for the shot (with bow's). They never even pick their heads up. Works great. I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea. I believe being quiet is very important but communication is as well. This is another reason I don't like being spread out on stand. I like me and my shooters close. It may sound like I'm talking loud on the DVD but my mouth is actually very close the microphone.

I was hunting with Murry Burnham last year. We had a coyote coming through the brush at about 200 yards. I was looking through the camera calling in the coordinates to Murry (Which is very deaf) I could tell through my peripheral vision that his position had not changed and was not ready for the shot. I spoke a little louder "RIGHT HERE MURRY, COYOTE". The coyote is now at about 75 yards and still coming. Murry is still unaware, so I said it a little louder "COYOTE". Murry say "YOU SEE ONE" very loud. "YES, RIGHT HERE". Murry swings his gun for the shot, then the coyote checks up, and Murry killed him at about 50 yards. Point is. He didn't hear us. He saw Murry move. Second point Murry may have never seen the coyote if I hadn't of said something. Communication on stand is sometimes a must and very critical when filming/guiding (not that I was guiding Murry Burnham). If done with very low voices it often goes un-noticed. I'm sure Rich won't agree but hey, I'm cool with that.

Byron

[ September 01, 2005, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Byron South ]

--------------------

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 03:43 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Byron. I guess don't squeak the squeaky things falls in the category of words like quite,and don't move a lot of the people I take hunting do not seem to understand any of those words when used in conjunction with Coyote hunting.

You are 100% right about Hogs and engines. Those two bores I killed the other day had know idea we were there till we shut off the engine. Then there heads pope up and they started looking around. Beats me.

I have always disagreed with you about whispering versus talking low. I have a pop up blind, and it looks like I am going to have to try it myself. I am old, but not to old to be proven wrong. I come from the old school. If you talked in the woods you're Daddy or Uncle woped you upside the head with a pine knot.

I have to congratulate you for calling that Coyote down a pipe line. I have called untold numbers of Fox and Bobcats down a pipeline. Have called about that many Coyotes across a pipeline heading down wind to bust me. It was worth the price of the DVD to see one come down a pipeline.

--------------------

Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
I read an article not long ago writen by a wildlife biologist that supports what Byron said about whispering versus speaking in a low tone. He said that a deer (maybe coyotes too?)can hear the higher frequency of a whisper at a greater distance than a lower conversational tone of voice.
I hunt by myself most of the time, so I have never tested it myself.

Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie,

With a voice like yours you would do better with morse code than to try and talk low or whisper. [Big Grin]

That place where we called that coyote down the pipeline is etreeeemely thick. I've called lot of coyotes and bobcats on that place. It's about 1100 acres and it's all thick like that with lot of winding logging roads and the piplene right of way. I've had lots of coyotes on other "right of way's" try and cross to the downwind side as well, but it seems lots come right down it if you stay busy on the call. I saw on Jays video where some of those scrawny Arizona coyotes did the same thing [Big Grin] .

Lungbuster,

I would like to read that article. If you happen to find it, let me know where it is and I'll find it.

Byron

[ September 01, 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Byron South ]

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2005 08:31 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I've hunted many areas where coyotes, crows, and ravens would ignore moving vehicles but bolt the moment they stopped. I wouldn't be surprised if even moderately alert animals reacted to auditory signals in the same manner as they react to visual signals.
Byron, I do disagree and I hope that you are indeed "cool with that" because it was not my intention to "blindside you" or "stab you in the back". I am not in the least afraid of being proven wrong. I have been in the past and most assuredly will be in the future. But it won't happen over my conviction that there are better ways to communicate intentions on stand that will not identify me as a human.
One of the things about your video that I enjoyed was hearing you whistle and yell to your shooters while the two coyotes stood in the open and looked at the e-caller, I also enjoyed hearing your instructions to the shooters and your running commentary as the coyotes approached. It honestly made for good video and it was entertaining. I hope everyone that I compete against this year talks on stand also. [Smile]

IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2005 06:10 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

I'm perfectly cool with our diference of opinion. Heck I'm sure lot's of guy's don't agree, and I'm OK with that as well. I use techniques that work for me and try and pass those along in my videos. I also didn't feel "blindsided" or "stabed in the back". In fact, I was honored that you gave your "honest" opinion and not some fluffed review just to make me happy (Athough I did like your review). I expected nothing less. Your experience is considerable and I value any input you have. I gladly welcome any critisism when it is constructive, as yours was.

The one thing I have learned about making videos is once it on tape and out in the public, your ass is hanging in the wind for all to take pokes at (Not that you were poking at my ass [Razz] ). This doesn't bother me all that much either.

Coyotes most every where I have ever hunted will bolt when they see you stop the truck as well. I would welcome theories as they don't seem to spooked when they don't see the truck (Night). Like I said, often times we crawl up in the truck and call coyotes that were obviouly very close but didn't spook. These same coyotes a few hours earlier (daylight) would have never come to the call. My theory is that they either can't hear it are they are simply not spooked by the sound they do hear. Let that same coyote see you and he is gone in a heart beat. Not being able to hear these motor sounds could explain why an animal as intelegent as a coyote gets run over so much on the hyway's. Surely if they can hear it coming they would get out of the way. I have seen whistles marketed in places with high deer numbers that fit on your bumber. The theory behind these devises is that as you drive, wind is forced through the whistle, thus emmiting a high frequency sound that alerts deer and other animals of your aproach.

I'm not so set in my way's not to be proven wrong. In fact I encourage input from others experience. Rich, I sincerely welcome your input and take no offence whether we, in the end, agree or disagree.

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sue and Mark Nami
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2005 06:38 AM      Profile for Sue and Mark Nami           Edit/Delete Post 
I need to get your movie.

What you are saying makes me wonder if you are out night hunting and you drive up to a spot in the dark and STOP the engine, are you spooking coyotes that you would have normally seen in the daylight away? Could it be that if you left the engine running you would have called in coyotes during the first half minute because they weren't spooked away when you stopped the truck?

--------------------
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough
good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke..1729-1797

Posts: 44 | From: east coast | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2005 07:23 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it looks like we need a all out "Engine Test". Maybe Fox Pro could add idling engines to there compressive list of sounds. Heck we could have a recording of a truck driving off to make them think we are gone.

All I know is that "Bugger Red" my tormenter that's curled up within 400 yards of were I am typing this knows the engine speed of my Honda better than a tachometer.

I need a recording of me driving out of the pasture, shutting the gate, unloading my gun, then closing the back door. Short of a air strike this is the only way I am going to ever get him.

--------------------

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2005 07:44 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My theory is that they either can't hear it are they are simply not spooked by the sound they do hear
Hell, I thought everyone knew that a stationary vehicle with the engine running was the best deer call that money could buy. [Wink]

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Byron,

I bought one of those deer whistles a few years back. It lasted about a month before it broke.

You'd think a whistle designed for deer could stand the impact of a deer a little better!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Noel Brandon
Member # 697

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 10:08 AM      Profile for Noel Brandon           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
That was funny...I don't care what anyone says,...that was funny. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21 | From: Renton WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 10:27 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Noel. First welcome to the board.

Second Tim was not trying to be funny. He loads those little whistles in his 44 magnum trying to give the Deer a head start. You are going to find a lot of folks on this board that the outside world might consider ( Special). Myself probably top of that list.

Fortunately our fearless leader "Leonard" is a master at keeping the lid on, and the men in white from knowing our exact location.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 11:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I attempt the impossible with mixed results, depending on your point of view?

Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Noel Brandon. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. LB

I heard that those little deer whistles were the biggest joke on compasionate people. They mostly allert the deer beind the vehicle as you whiz by. At less than freeway speed, a deer would hear the sound just before impact.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters