The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Red Tailed Hawks in Central Park

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Red Tailed Hawks in Central Park
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 08:57 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched in awe at the stupidity of people in New York and their complete inept comprehension of nature and wildlife. A couple of red tailed hawks nested in Central Park and three chicks were born. You'd think these people discovered the Holy Grail or something. In fact one lady stated it was something Holy and spiritual because she was part of witnessing the hawks.

It was absolutely sickening that these people have no grasp of nature and wildlife. They even had champagne and toasted the birds as they watched through binoculars and cheered when the hawks flew.

I am floored.

[ September 04, 2005, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 09:05 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that special a few years ago and it gave me a good laugh too. These are classic city people. Central Park is as close to a wilderness experience as they have ever come. The scarey part is that enclaves of these types are the ones influencing the fish and game laws of this country, and, our accessability to public lands.

[ September 05, 2005, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 09:12 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep hearing these sheep ranchers whining about the reintroduced wolves. They ought to try raising chickens.

We need an open season on hawks much more than we need anything done to the wolves! [Mad]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 09:41 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
From what I saw, if you said that in New York some unshaven 300lb guy would splash champaigne in your face just to set you straight.

[ September 04, 2005, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 11:04 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM NEW YORK CITY WHEN...

* You think Central Park is "nature."

* You've been to New Jersey twice and got hopelessly lost both times.

* Going to Brooklyn is considered a "road trip."

* America west of the Hudson is still theoretical to you.

* Your idea of personal space is no one actually standing on your toes.

* You think $10.00 to cross a bridge is a fair price.

* Your door has more than three locks.

* You go to a hockey game for the fighting. In the stands. To participate.

* The most frequently used part of your car is the horn.

* You consider eye contact an act of overt aggression.

* You call an 8' x 10' plot of patchy grass a yard. You complain about having to mow it.

* You consider Westchester "Upstate."

* You cried the day Mayor Ed Koch took over for Judge Wapner.
[Roll Eyes] [Confused] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2005 08:57 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty pathetic ain't it Jay. There are so many red tailed hawks around now it hard to grasp someone getting giddy over seeing one. About every other power pole has one on it.

Every kind of raptor has reproduced to almost nuisance numbers around here. The red tails and owls sit up in the top of the trees in the yard waiting for an easy meal to make out of one of my chickens. They are about even with groundhogs on my list of valuable critters. lol!

Gotta love them city folk. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Curt. We love you, too.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2005 08:31 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed too by the people that have access to the wildlife and still refuse to enjoy it. Right off the top of my head I can think of times when I saw two coyotes close the the road mousing around, a big ol' hairly herd of turkeys, a bull moose, and a bear in the headlights and the folks I was with at the time refused to stop the car and have a watch!

My wife used to be the same way. She will now get to the shoulder of the road as quickly and safely as possible to checks things out. My kids are all great spotters too. We have a blast looking for critters of all different flavors! [Wink]

edit (All on different occasions of course)

[ September 08, 2005, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters