The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » My book report

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My book report
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
A week or so, I finished reading a book entitled "Shooter" by Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin and Captain Casey Kuhlman, both USMC. Coughlin is the most decorated sniper for the Marines and this book is an autobiography of his life, with emphasis on his tour in Operation Iraqi Freedom at the beginning of the current war. Absoutely riveting, and I even found a few pearls of wisdom that will help my shooting. He also gives his first-hand account of a couple events that weren't provided with quite the same details by the media. All in all, a really good book.

Has anyone else read it? I suspect so, since I've heard a few quips from guys on the boards that he cited in the book. Either that, or he likes to glum onto other guys' clever and witty remarks.

[ October 12, 2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 14 posted October 12, 2005 05:40 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Heck Lance, we must have been reading it at the same time. Excellent book.

I am just plain amazed awed by the way these snipers can shoot. The self control and complete disciplne that it must take to snuff out a bad guy at 1000 yards. We are not talking about p-dogs and coyotes here either, I would think it would take a special person and the proper training to keep it together in some those situations. I happened to see J. Coughlin being interviewed on one of the news channels and he came across as a guy who damn sure new his business.

Have you read "93 Confirmed Kills" the Carlos Hathcock story?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 05:47 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I read some comments at sniper.com by guys that had met him personally and they said he was a real stand up guy.

Hmmm, is anyone concerned about a letter carrier reading sniper books? The voices say you needn't worry. [Smile]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 06:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this guy, Ed Kugler, through a mutual friend; I've read his book.

http://nomorebs.com/edsstuff.html

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jeff Thomason
Knows what it's all about
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 05:41 AM      Profile for Jeff Thomason   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Thomason         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leonard, I read the Carlos Book. He was an amazing shot! I think he made the statement that he had 93 confirmed kills, but more than twice that, which were uncomfirmed!

--------------------
Predator Pursuit
4 Videos Day and Night
www.predatorpursuit.com

Posts: 21 | From: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 06:19 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lance. I'll pick it up and read it.

I've realy liked the book on Carlo's Hathcock. One of the guys that hunts with me is from Virginia and is a Veitnam veteran. He and Carlos were fishing buddies until his death. Carlos was quite a guy.

Leonard,

I've also read Ed Kuglers book, and a few others about the fighting in Veitnam. Good reading. Ed lived here in Texas for a while.

Byron [Big Grin]

[ October 13, 2005, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Byron South ]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 10:29 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a bit disappointed with the book. It is certainly worth reading but it is written by 3 different people and this definitely shows.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters