The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Broken Tail Bone? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Broken Tail Bone?
Gerald Stewart
Knows what it's all about
Member # 162

Icon 5 posted October 24, 2005 06:36 AM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you guys ever broke your tail bone? [Roll Eyes]

I had a falling incident Friday night where I think I may have broken my tail bone. I had hoped a couple of days of inactivity would have seen an easing of the soreness and stiffness but it seems to be still pretty sore. I am going to give it a few more days to see if it is just bruising. Maybe the swelling will go down some and I can see some improvement.

May have to sit around at the campout on one of those inflatable butt pads....won't that make me feel special. [Roll Eyes] [Mad] [Big Grin]

Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
crapshoot
Member # 225

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 07:15 AM      Profile for crapshoot   Email crapshoot         Edit/Delete Post 
Been there done that. Never been the same since. (When I was about 6)Got pulled off the hood of a pick up by my feet landing on a concrete side walk.
Posts: 44 | From: S. Nevada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 07:32 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch!! you guys. How do they set a broken tailbone? How do they put a cast on it?
I've heard the phrase "my ass is in a sling" but I thought it referenced something else. Ouch!

IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 07:57 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald,
Get your butt to the doctor..... prednisone (if it doesn't make you crazy) and a hot pack work amazingly well to relieve inflammation, swelling, and pain in that area.

A few years ago, after too many days and too many hours on the tractor, the pounding I took from the brushhog caused something like sciatica, and like crapshoot, my tail has never been the same.... and painkillers do not work well on nerve pain.

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 08:53 AM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
About the only thing you can do for it is get an inflatable doughnut to sit on and rest. Don't worry about people looking at you funny. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 09:01 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a slip'n fall at my daughters pool this summer. Tailbone hit the pool coping. X-rays showed fractured coccyx. No cast, no sling, lol. But the 60 hits of Vicoden helped a lot. That's the best my doctor could offer. It took about 2 months to get back to (somewhat) normal. I sat on a down pillow at work for 4 weeks. No fun. Just stay off your ass as much as possible, and it will heal faster.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Nahu,

Ask you doctor for Tramadol (Ultram I think is the generic). Anyway, I've got a pinched nerve too. and sciata. If I skip a dose, within hours the lower back pain goes to my right butt cheek, then my right leg, and down to my ankle. The medicine takes about an hour to kick in but man o man does it work. It totally kills the pain.

It has absolutely narcotic no effects I that you I of know of at alljklndtrqnhe.fuuqtberjggeknow #*%*&^6 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's too bad, Gerald. I hope you didn't fall off your platform?

I, myself, have been dealing with excruciating lower back pain for almost three weeks now. I even went to a Chiropractor, for the first time in more than twenty-five years. I'm thinking of going back today?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that I read once that tons of people have a broken bummy bone and don't even realize it.

I was about 13 or so and a buddy of mine and I decided to slide down this little spill way. The water was running over the spill way and was about 1/2 an inch deep as it rolled down the flat surface. Also, under that 1/2 inch or so of fast running water was this long slimy super splippery moss. I could see a 6 inch curb of concrete across the bottom of the spillway. So our plan was simple. Slide to the bottom and at the last minute, push off the curb with our feet and leap into the pond.

Dummy Danny went first. The spillway was more slickerier than grease flavored moose poop and I was flying down that thing. Just before I hit the curb for the big leap I noticed a great many big pointy sharp looking rocks in the pond where I was about to jump. Instinct took over and I layed flat in an effort to stop. KABOOOOM!!!! Was the sound of my bummy bone smashing into the cement curb, as I toppled into the water. It was so hard trying to breathe, and I don't recall ever feeling so much pain. And all my best friend could do was laugh his head off! I tried laughing too but it just made the pain worse. LOL

Yeah Gerald, "The Glorious Days of A Boy's Summer!" Nothing like it! [Wink] I sure hope you get to feeling well soon. Bummy pain is a real drag!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 09:59 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Ever notice how all these "old fart" maladies seem to occur below the belt, eventually ending up in the ass,knees or other unmentionables?
Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 10:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're right, Vic. But, I keep forgetting things, too! Age has it's rewards and it's penalties.

Good hunting. LB

PS for the record, some of my below the belt things are still working fine, thank you!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 13 posted October 24, 2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to take it easy on it for a while and see what happens. I read on the internet that there is not much they can do for it.

Now if you have fractured your Sacrum, that is a different story. That is when you get into more of the nerve problems and they can do a couple of different surgeries to alleviate some of those symtoms.

I am exhibiting some of the symptoms of a broken coxxcy(spelling?). Not much they can do but just let it heal which usually takes several months.

I went to the club today and could do nothing that required sitting or rolling down onto a bench. The whirlpool seemed to help some so maybe I just need to let it rest.

I tried to convince my wife that I had read on the internet that one therapy for it was a rythmic motion to occur with 120 lbs equally distributed downward on my pelvic area.....she did not buy it. [Wink]

Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 11 posted October 24, 2005 12:30 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could attribute the fall to something dramatic or macho but I can not. I simply got out of bed rather fast at 4:00am and went out into the hallway to go watch the hurricane news and about halfway down the hall I started feeling dizzy, so I stopped and put my head down.

I moved my head back up and that when the lights went out. The next thing I know, I hear a loud noise and I am laying on the floor wondering what caused that loud noise. Then I came to my full senses and realized that it was caused by me doing one of those hollywood stunt man falls fully backwards but there was no mattress to catch me. The HardWood floor was a poor substitute for a mattress.

My wife, thinking it was my heart, zoomed out of the bedroom and started asking me what was wrong. I rolled around on the floor for a couple of minutes holding my tailbone and my head trying not to scare her too badly. I got up and took some Ibuprophen and went back to bed.

Man... that hurt for a long time.

[ October 24, 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Gerald Stewart ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The urge to merge, eh? You can't be that bad off?

Good hunting. LB

PS I'd be a mite concerned about the fainting though?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 12:48 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Get that BP checked, Gerald.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 01:01 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald,
I have done that several times. If I get up quickly, from a chair or bed and start walking, I get really, really dizzy and sometimes its lights out. I have done that all my life. Actually was hopsitalized for tests on my heart when I was a kid.

I went to an old doctor when I was about 15 and after a brief exam, which included me standing and sitting a few times, he concluded it was circulation. If I stand too quickly without using my hands, I can pass out.

Not saying you shouldnt get your BP checked, but something to think about. Ive been doing just what you described my whole life. Pretty wild.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 01:13 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald,

They call that postural hypotension and, if I recall, you once mentioned you had a history of irregular heartbeats. As with any fall, any medic or doctor is as interested, if not moreso, in the cause of the fall rather than merely focusing on the obvoiuos injuries.You don'tr just fall down. At the very least, you need to make sure your physician knows that you suffered a syncopal episode (passed out) immediately after getting up from bed. And be careful next time you do that. Since it happened once, it'll likely happen again. When you feel that swimming sensation, it might be better to just ease yourself down and let it abate, then rise again in increments.

Oh, and that home brew therapy you suggested, involving the wife? That thing might work, but with the way things are going, just about the time you're rearin' to go, all the blood flow will go from one head to the other and you'd probably pass out again and miss out on the good parts. Man, it must suck to get old. [Wink]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
AndyL, I have had that problem also most of my life. I had an episode like this when my oldest boy was a toddler. One night I jumped up and went down the hall to check on him and the same thing happened. I reached out to grab the only thing I could to keep from falling....the trim on the bathroom door.

I ended up on my back with my head and shoulder hurting after that one. I had eaten an apple right before I went to bed and attributed it to blood rushing to my stomach to digest as well as rushing out of my head when I stood up quickly.

This time I had eaten a snack about an hour earlier but do not feel that played a factor. I may have had an episode with my irregular heartbeat combined with the rapid rise.

I do not have a blood pressure issue...at least as far as I know. I give blood or platelets at the Red Cross regularly and watch that pretty closely. I had given recently and my BP was normal.

Nothing is beneath me when it comes to wanting some snatch Leonard. [Wink] I tell my wife all the time that I have my priorities in line.

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 04:17 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald,

I'm not a doctor...But I've stayed in cheap motels, once or twice [Smile] .

Doc. Lance is on the money.
As for his [second assessment]. I haven't any experience on that...LOL! [Big Grin]

Doc 2dogs-kirby

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 04:29 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, if your tail-bone is broken, will that straighten out your s-shapes?
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 04:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
See? Always a silver lining!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Nothing is beneath me when it comes to wanting some snatch Leonard."

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh gawd, You mean it gets even worse?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 5 posted October 24, 2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going to ignore this for the most part, but now Lance has got my attention. Yea...it is the pits...getting older that is. Your turn is coming. [Razz]

Rich, the only suggestions I can find on the Internet on how to accomodate the healing process is to sit on one of those donut pads, eat lots of high fiber and drink lots of water. That will probably cause those floaters to be like one of those Fireworks Snakes you light up on July the 4th that always twisted, turned and marked the sidewalk up so bad your mother would yell at you.

It seems to be little better tonight so maybe it won't be as bad as I feared it might be. I will keep you posted.

Timberghozt
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2005 06:49 PM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gerald..A Doc might be able to make you more comfortable.Over two years ago I had a nasty fall on a peice of heavy equipment and broke two ribs and did some damage in my upper spine.They put me on Vicadin and Flexeril to start with.Vicodin is pretty addictive and they shortly therafter put me on Tramadol and Flexeril.I still have some pretty extensive soft tissue damage and take Tramadol daily but no more muscle relaxer Flexeril junk.Tramadol is a blessing bud,I know many days I couldn`t make it on a dozer or scraper without it..
Its worth a shot if you`re in pain to see what the doc will do..Hope ya get to feelin better..
Gene

[ October 24, 2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Timberghozt ]

--------------------
http://www.handloadersbench.com

Posts: 48 | From: Salado, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters