The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » How many going to Nationals? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How many going to Nationals?
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 09:03 AM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to see how many of you guys will be in Rawlins? It's kind of nice to put the faces with the call sign

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 10:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 07:46 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Next Friday and Saturday Leonard. Get you a partner and come on up! It's a good time. Calcutta and check in on Thursday night. I'll be there.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 08:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I "thought" retirement would allow me to do more of these out-of-state things? I guess what I found out was; who is in charge.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 08:23 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
What IS that Calcutta thing??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 08:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
An Auction. What it means is that you can bid on Cal's team to win. A separate pool.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 09:10 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
An auction, or a side bet pool for the winning team? Is it called an auction as a shield for gambling?
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 10:20 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
NASA
Yes! And the odds, as usual, favor the house.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
catskin
Member # 51

Icon 8 posted October 28, 2005 11:13 PM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
Gimme $20 on Cal to Show, I'm good for it - promise.
Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2005 07:01 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it's gambling. And we drink beer too! It can get pretty entertaining, with the better known teams bringing some large $$$$. The unfair part is that some of the lesser known teams are just as good and don't bring much money and can buy themselves far cheaper and that just ain't fair. But I do my best to see that doesn't happen. Just ask ND!! We always try to buy ourselves, but it can get rather pricey and last year was no exception. At Rawlins, they donate 10 or 15 percent to a scholarship fund and the rest goes back into the pot for the top 3 teams. It usually pays several thousand dollars to win.

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2005 08:29 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Not being at all familiar, I have to ask. Several thou to the winning team, or to the winner of the Calcutta? Or, is the Calcutta the jackpot awarded to the winning team? In 40 years of killing coyotes I've never been in a contest, so this is all foreign.
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Nasa, Whoever buys the winning team in the auction collects the calcutta money. Most teams try to buy themselves, but not all. It is an open auction and anyone there is free to buy any team they wish, sold at auction to the highest bidder. For example, if you were there, and wished to buy the Johnson team you would have to be the highest bidder in the auction, then if they happened to to place in the top three, you would win. The calcutta pays three places. The hunt entry fees are seperate, $200 per team, and placed in a seperate pool, and the teams are also competeing for that money. They usually pay eight places in the hunt pool. So if you have 80 teams at $200 a team you have $16,000 in that pool.

[ October 29, 2005, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2005 09:53 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Cal, I wish I could get there in time for the bidding process. I'd like to see it in action. I may be able to get there by Fri. night, though. Is there a check-in each day? If so, where and what time. I've been to Rawlins a few times, so I kinda know the town. If you see a big Ford with FURDOWN plates, that's me. [Smile]
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2005 10:59 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Nasa,
There is a checkin by 7:00 p.m. on Friday night and then again at 2 or 3 pm on Saturday. Then another beer drinking contest on Saturday night. Everything is held at The Lodge (motel) on the east side of town.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a little like a horse race, Tom. If you have an experienced team, hunting good area, they have a good chance of winning. When you kill everything you see, it boils down to ; how many did you see?

Of course, how are you going to know this, cold?

Maybe we could get together and pool our money on Cal's "Huntmasters Team"?

Actually, what it is all about is your contacts. If you can get behind locked gates, it's a step in the right direction.

Now, if Cal shared his previously negotiated hunting area with me, I might roll? I bet he has more area than one team can use? Hunting cold is tough. That is where locals have the upper hand.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2005 11:33 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds a lot like a horse race, in more ways than one. [Wink] I plan to do my best to get there in time for the Saturday check-in and beer bash. Then dash back to CO on Sunday morning. [Roll Eyes]
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2005 01:24 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,

We used to have calcutta's at the bigger bullridings around. Here is a tip on how to buy yourself a little cheaper at these deals. You'll have to tailor it to coyote hunting but the effects will be the same. Show up wearing stupid looking clothes and getting around on crutches. I woukld think maybe an eye patch and maybe one arm in a sling would help as well. Plaser is cheap and a cast to your hip could save some money as well.

Good luck, and kill a bunch.

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2005 04:35 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd try it Byron, if I thought it would help. But I'm too close to home and we've placed there before. But we didn't place last year, so that may help, well actually about 5 or 6 teams tied for about 6th through 11th or 12th, and ties are broken by check in time, and we were the last to check in so we didn't place. Leonard, if I had the ground I'd share, but we have an on going battle with another team for the same territory. Hopefully this year we will have most of it to ourselves. Last year we thought we were the only ones with permission in certain areas, and found out we were wrong. I hate it when that happens.

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2005 08:27 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, do you take your dogs on the contest hunts?
IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2005 10:12 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope Rich, They are pretty specific about that. No Dogs, No night hunting, no snowmobile hunting, no airplanes, partners must stay together (ask Scott Huber about that one) etc. etc..

If it weren't for all these damn rules, I might have a chance.

--------------------

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,

Do you have to be checked in by the given time frame or is that when they start? If you weren't concerned about a tie breaker what would the latest that you could show up.

Just wondering about how many miles from Rawlins a guy could actually hunt and still make checkin.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2005 11:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a big part of it, Dennis. One more stand equals one more dog. Maybe two more dogs? But you lose a couple places in line. A judgement call. You can be disqualified for reckless driving, too. Some guys might hunt two hours drive, if they think it's worth the downtime? More, maybe? Judgement call. A close in hunting area with a lot of animals is worth a lot.

Good hunting. LB

edit: there is no allowance for being thirty seconds late, you are disqualified, period. Lots of teams trade an extra animal for arriving a minute or two too late. [Frown]

[ October 30, 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2005 12:17 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
I and a friend hunted the Elko game a couple years ago and I never did get a straight understanding to what the hunting together part menat. Do you have a clear understanding of exactly what the rule there means? Within sight of each other, 10 yards, out of the same vehicle, teamed up????
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2005 03:33 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Doggitter, I believe that means a two person team must hunt together, it does not mean you have to make stands together. Example...Drop off one guy to make a stand as the other one goes down the road a 1/2 mile and makes a stand. You are not hunting together, but you are as far as a team goes.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
At Rawlins the way they explained it to me is that the truck can't move without both hunters in it. So you can't drop one guy off, and travel down the road to make another stand. Supposedly you are supposed to pretty much be on the same stand, but that is a pretty grey area, as to how far you can be apart.

As for the check ins, you can be early, but you can't be late.

[ October 30, 2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters