The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Arrive home safely?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Arrive home safely?
Gerald Stewart
Knows what it's all about
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 03:57 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Byron and I got back safely to Waco at 2:00am Texas time. Dodged deer all the way back across West Texas again.

We timed our shifts driving so he could sleep the last 4 hours and be somewhat fresh for his 2 1\2 hour drive from Waco to Big Sandy.

Check in Byron and let me know you got home OK.

I hope everyone else had a safe and uneventful trip home.

Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 05:34 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, Glad yall made it back to the promise land unscaved. You didnt have to pull Byron back in the window trying to go after the deer did ya? We made it back last night also.

It was great to meet everyone and we had a great time. We have some great stories to tell after this one.

Take care,

Todd

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 09:52 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald,

Thanks, I made it back fine. Got about two hours slepp and went to get my truck camo put on. It took three of us all day and I just got home at 10 PM. I'm running on fumes but have to be up and at em before daylight in the morning. Good night. [Big Grin]

I also had a great time, and look forward to next years hunt.

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jeff Thomason
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 06:06 AM      Profile for Jeff Thomason   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Thomason         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Byron, I thought it was only gonna take 2 hours! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Predator Pursuit
4 Videos Day and Night
www.predatorpursuit.com

Posts: 21 | From: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 08:35 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,

It took 9, but man does it look cool. I'll post a picture later when I get caught up on work.

Byron

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,

Here is the picture of the truck. Looks better in person.

-

Byron

--------------------

Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 05:19 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Byron, That looks Great!!! Even if it did take 7 hours longer than expected. Congrats on the great looking rig.

Take care,

Todd

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
crapshoot
Member # 225

Icon 14 posted November 15, 2005 09:01 PM      Profile for crapshoot   Email crapshoot         Edit/Delete Post 
Bring some of that stuff to Globe. We can do my truck in the parkinglot over a bottle of Crown Royal.
Posts: 44 | From: S. Nevada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 11:49 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks neat and will get attention driving down main street, but it does not hide a truck at all. Something the size of a truck needs a much larger pattern and more contrast to break up the outline.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 07:01 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

No disrespect intended, but do you ever smile?

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 8 posted November 16, 2005 12:54 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
He hasn't since I've known him. [Confused]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 02:14 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, surely it's bound to do better than the original shine and color?

Byron, What are those tires? I bought a new Dodge last year and when the factory tater skins were gone I went to get my usual Toyo M55 mudders and guess what? They don't make them in a 17". I can't find a decent mud and snow tire in the 17", but those look good.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, I have always felt that camo patterns on a truck like that were for ego only. I just spent 4 full days and nights with Byron, two of which were driving 15 hours out and 15 hours back. I could not find a shred of ego rearing it's ugly head in my conversations with him. I have to assume the camo maker must be paying him big bucks to promo that for him, now that Byron has hit the big time.

I'm jealous...nobody has ever offered me that kind of deal. [Big Grin]

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 04:40 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I hunted out of Brad Harris's camo truck for three years. It is not a good idea to camo a truck because you cant find the damn thing. I cant tell you how many times we drove up on Kansas bucks. When glassing large fields we had deer walk within 30 yards of the truck. It is well worth the time and expense in my experience.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

Your right. It does get lots of attention on main street. Especially in Big Sandy Texas. [Big Grin] . I've wanted to do a truck like this since I first saw one done. In the past I have always just refused to wash my truck all through hunting season (which in texas is only 12 months a year) in order to keep the shine down. This stuff doesn't reflect and also offers protection to the paint from scratches and UV. It can be removed years later with not effect to the paint. Gerlad is also correct in that it was done by a company for mention on my videos, and I will gladly do so. The photo is somewhat over exposed and the pattern does a pretty good job compared to the original paint.

Thanks for the kind words Gerald.

Cal,

The tires are Buckshots. Not sure who makes them but I do know they are 305's. I'll look tomorrow and get more info on them.

Ronnie,

They are going to tint the windows in the same pattern after Thanksgiving. It will surely disapear then. I may even wash this truck. [Wink]

Byron

--------------------

Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 09:35 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,

Those tires are Buckshot Maxxis Mudders 17 X 305.

Seem like pretty ggod tires, but I only have about 7500 miles on them.,

Jack,

Here is a better picture of the camo the way it was intended to be used. I understand what you were saying in that the bigger surfaces need bigger pattern to diguise the outline.
 -
The pattern, by the way, is Realtree/Advantage's new "MAX-1 HD". It was designed for more open terrain but it also does suprisingly well here in the East Texas timber.

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------

Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 14 posted November 17, 2005 02:17 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Byron...you need a head net and gloves when you call like that man. [Big Grin] (just kidding)

I used to have a 77 GMC Jimmy that was camoed from head to toe. I did the paint job myself. Choosing to paint the chrome rather than Duct tape it like Murry B. did in one of his videos. [Wink]

I am convinced it did help a great deal both day and night. I even had snap on covers that could easily be rolled down over the windows and tied back up for day hunting. Filmed off the top of it.

I parked over a swell in the ground one night on a stand and had a coyote run smack dab into the side of the truck. Probably thought he was going under a bush. I heard the BONG and turned with my light to see him stumbling off dizzy into some thick brush.

I had a lot of fun watching people in my rear view mirror as I would sit at red lights. I had our company logo and the silohette of the howling coyote and crow from our logo blended into the camo. You could see kids finally realize what they were looking at and they would start tapping their parents on the shoulder excitedly pointing at my truck.

I am a believer in camo on vehicles, but wish it could be done without the repetitive pattern that shows up on a surface that big. Probably doesn't hurt with the animals...just is a pet peeve of mine.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters