The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » What did Santa bring you???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What did Santa bring you???
scruffy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 09:36 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Hunting related, I was given the Randy Anderson Truth II DVD, an SD card for my MP3 player (homemade ecaller), and a pair of light brown carhart bibs (dead grass/corn stalk color [Wink] ).

So last night I sat in my new carhart bibs (man those things are stiff!) and watched Randy's 3 hour video. My nearly 7 month old daughter fell asleep half way through. [Smile] There was no way I was falling asleep. I enjoyed it. I'll likely get his 2 hour instructional DVD one of these days. It was interesting watching him hand call for 3 hours (with the exception of a couple stands with the foxpro for bobcats). Definitely saw a couple things I want to try/change (kinda related to a thread/question I posted last week, very timely).

Oh yea, and after I got my Savage 22-250 a couple months ago I was informed that it was my Christmas and Birthday present, so I guess I got a rifle for Christmas as well???

How the rest of you guys fair? Was Santa good to you or were you naughty this past year?

edit: whoops, sorry Leonard, I meant to put this in the members forum... [Roll Eyes]

later,
scruffy

[ December 27, 2005, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Santa just flew on by this year. But I must have been a good boy, my wife gave me Byron South’s volumes 3 and 4. Three hours of calling footage including some with Murry Burnham. I also got a trail camera that will be fun to play with if I can keep it from getting stolen.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The usual geegaws & gizmos, PLUS the Coyote Behavior dvd by *** Nistetter. Having watched it (3 times) I really reccomend it. Good information by serious hunters who still remember to have fun.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I asked for was a stuffed Wile E. Coyote. The wife found one on Ebay in pristine condition and it looks awesome on my computer desk.

My dad got tired of me using his shop to drill calls, so he bought me a nice benchtop drill press so now I can do all my stuff at home. Guess that means I get to start turning some more calls again.

Few little doodads and the like. Best of all, got a day with the family which is always nice.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 14 posted December 27, 2005 08:01 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Gift cards to Lowes.
Gift card to The Cotton Patch restaurant.
Nice writing pen.
New work boots
Gift card to Jasons Deli.
Two Silver Dollars (1883 and 1921).
Too much sweets!

Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 14 posted December 27, 2005 09:02 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Santa brought me the best gift I could ask for!! The oppertunity to give my seven year old son his first Red Rider BB Gun and his first Predatr call(Thanks to Lance). Which he was just as jazzed about Lance. I have few pics to post and send ya. [Wink]

He begged to shoot the BB gun from the get go. So I told him to go get dressed and I would set him up in the garage with it. He popped out of his room a few minutes later in some camo gear his mother(Santa) got him and said "Dad I'm ready". [Big Grin]

Made a little BB trap out of a box of christmas papers and a box, then hung a soda can in another box and butted it up against the trap. Heck at 350 fps I figured it would do just fine.

After a few minutes of instruction and safety rules he was firing away. I watched for about 15 minutes and told him he was on his own and left the garage. You should have seen the proud big boy look on his face when I left him alone. [Smile] I would go to the garage door every once in a while to listen in on him. Once I was listening and I heard him hit the can and say "Oh baby thats awesome" Thats the stuff that makes father feel real good! [Big Grin]

It takes just about all the little feller had to cock that thing. So I figured he wouldn't last long before he wore out his arm. I'll be if he didn't stay out there for about four hours, about 350 BB's, and two soda can exchanges later(just shreads of can left) [Eek!]

So needless to say Santa was really good to me. [Smile]

P.S. The little fella is walking around the house saying "Don't put your finger on the trigger until your sights are on the target"

Be safe,
Fellas

Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 04:15 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
My son, bought me my favorite movie...[Falling Down] with Michael Douglas.

He said, "He[M.D] reminds him of me". Hmmmm, I thought I'd been a better pick, to play that role, in that movie [Razz] .

Best gift of all, got to be with my family [Cool]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 04:19 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Alaskan Yoter,

Enjoyed your story, very cool!

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 08:18 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I did okay,

A soft-sided rifle case, with a big-ass zippered pocket on one side.
A $50 gift card to GI Joes (probably use it for waterfowl shells)
And a float trip on the Skagit River, through the bald eagle sanctuary (with all three of my brothers)

I'm gettin' a Suzuki Samuri as soon as I can pick one up, that's my BIG hunting related present.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 06:56 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Todd, brings back memories and a big smile. You're a lucky man. Build some memories with the boy.
IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 10:47 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks fellas.

Rich I'll for sure take you up on that offer with no proding at all. I plan to build plenty of memories with Wyatt.

Heres the pics of the litlle fella. This first one with his red, white and blue Predatr call. Its engraved "Daddy's lil' buddy" "Wyatt" "2005".
 -
These others are him in action. [Big Grin]
 -
 -
 -

PS After the photo op he was wearing saafety goggles. [Eek!] I ordered him a pair of youth shooting glasses too. [Big Grin]

[ December 30, 2005, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Alaskan Yoter ]

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 04:22 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Todd,

That is too cool. Thanks a bunch. I forgot we made those for Christmas gifts. If you don't mind, I'm going to fwd it over to Bryan to add to the web page. Let me know that you do or don't mind on that.

Also brings back memories for me, too. One word of advice - tell him to NEVER squeeze the trigger with that cocking handle anyplace but well seated. I was about six when I was sitting in the living room fiddling with my brother's new Daisy and did just that very thing. I didn't want to cry or they'd have known I was messing with it, but I just smashed four little fingers and got to meet God right there in front of the sofa. I see that moment in my life clearly every time I see a BB gun. [Eek!]

[ December 31, 2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 06:05 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

Just be glad it was only your fingers. [Wink]

I have my own vivid memory... see how Wyatt's cocking the gun in picture #2... nuff said. [Eek!]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 07:36 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
So........ you're saying you can only count to 10 and not 11 like the rest of us? That hurts.

Yoter, you'd better stop that boy right now.

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

No, everything is fine, I just has a technicolor weenie for a while.

Todd might should-oughta teach the boy a safer way to cock the thing. I used my (right) knee, just in front of the lever, left hand on the muzzle and right hand on the lever.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 07:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a pump action BB gun, as a kid. More powerful, but still several places to catch "things" in the mechanism. Actually, I would have rather had the Red Ryder style because they held 1000? BBs and the capacity on mine was 50(?). My BB days didn't last long, I owned a real gun before I was ten.

Good hunting. LB

edit: had to go to dinner....

I actually didn't get hardly anything of great value, this year? Clothes, bath robe, stuff like that. My wife says I'm the hardest person to buy for because I don't need anything because I go buy it when I need it rather than waiting. On the other hand, I don't feel deprived or disappointed. Glad everybody is happy with what they received, but as long as you have your health, all the rest is just gravy. Be thankful. LB

[ January 01, 2006, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timberghozt
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh fellas..The ole fat guy did me right this year.
A 1895 Marlin in 45-70 and a Sig P229 in 40 Smith..
Well I kinda cheated and went and bought the Sig myself..
I like em both.I wonder what a yote shot with a 405 grain bullet would look like... [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.handloadersbench.com

Posts: 48 | From: Salado, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 05:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd kind of like one of those, myself, the ss guide gun version. Do I have ANY use for it? No.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timberghozt
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 06:30 PM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
lol..Leonard,you know somethin and I won`t say this anywhere else.And if you tell em ,I`ll deny it.I needed a 45-70 like I needed a hole in the head but Ive always wanted one.I shoot a 300 Win for most of my needs and it kills everything I put the hairs of the Leupold on.
I think it is just some kind of nostalgia thing.I wanna shoot a few hogs with it and maybe a buck or two down here.Maybe a blackbear on my uncles place in the mountains and an elk...but really
I didn`t need it,The 300 Win will do it and do it fast. [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.handloadersbench.com

Posts: 48 | From: Salado, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Buker
Member # 134

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 06:39 PM      Profile for Randy Buker   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Buker         Edit/Delete Post 
My lovely wife bought me a .17hmr. Squirrels and cotton tails are going to be in a world of hurt!

--------------------
Hunting the Red Fox

www.geocities.com/foxhunter_56308

Posts: 158 | From: Parkers Prairie, MN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 03:37 AM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats fine Lance. I could even get you better pics if you needed them.

Thanks again for the smile on thier faces,
Todd

P.S. Krusty, I gave Wyatt your advice on the Red Rider. I told him it would pinch of his winger if he wasn't careful. [Big Grin] He paid close attention too. [Eek!]

[ January 17, 2006, 03:40 AM: Message edited by: Alaskan Yoter ]

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 11:40 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Todd,

The words pinching and weenie, used together in one sentence, usually gets a serious grip on a guys attention. [Eek!] (pun intended)

Oh yeah, last weekend I went on the eagle float trip.
It was interesting.

I can't believe how much money people will pay for something like this. Or how worked up people get over white headed gully vultures. Sheesh.

The weather has been mild and very wet, so the river was 1' below flood stage, moving very fast, and very flat (all the "fun stuff" was covered by 20' of water).
Also most of the eagles were farther down river, because the big water washes all the salmon carcasses out to the tidelands.

My brothers and I could paddle a raft of this size, and have, but the guide got kinda irritated and would tell us not to.
Heck he had huge oars, and coulda overpowered us at any time, and we did pay for the trip... so if I was a guide I'd let the customer paddle his brains out, that is what they might THINK they paid for. But, I digress.

We did have a good time.

The Weather Gods were kind to us, it poured like hell most of the way there, and slowed to a drizzle while we waited to launch (the birds come back from feeding, to roost, about 11 am), but let up as soon as we hit the water. [Smile]
We were still socked in, so the longer views of the Skagit Canyon and surrounding mountains were blocked, but it's a beautiful place up close too. [Wink]

We saw more than 50 eagles, and less than 100 (though it was closer to 100 than 50), some from as close as 20 yds.

Big thanks to Mr Cronk, who taught me to lipsqueak (like Mr Burnham taught him).
I didn't bring any calls, or even think to, but my brother the photography NUT was fully impressed by how it worked.

A regular lipsqueak wouldn't have the volume to carry over the river noise.

From 100 yds away I could get the eagles, who normally are very stoic paying you very little attention as you pass, to perk up on their perch and look right at us.
They much preferred a high pitched baby rabbit to rodent sound, than the lower pitched cotton/jack.

One eagle about 40 yds away appeared as if could actually see my lips making the sound, and tipped his head deeply to each side, like a canid, and leaning way left then waaaaay right to see us go by... with Steve in the back of the boat going "oh yeah...gizzuck, gizzuck, gizzuck (camera clicking away) do that some more! OH awesome!"

I haven't seen any of the photos, I'll have to give him a shout and see what's up? (we rarely talk)

Actually this was the first time, in close to twenty-five years, all three of my brothers and I have gone and done something together.
As I said, it was interesting.

Krusty  -

--------------------

MULE
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 10:47 AM      Profile for MULE           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

--------------------
Kickin' it on the Steppes. Livin' in my Yurt

My Hockey Mom can beat up your Community Organizer

Posts: 334 | From: Ulan Bator | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters