The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » A little perspective (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A little perspective
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
There’s been a lot of bickering in this house the past couple days over what really, in the long run, doesn’t amount to nothing more than personal opinions. To break the direction we’ve gone, I thought I’d help myself out by sharing something with you guys. You’re like a second family to me and right now, I need to share a little bit.
The very first article I ever did was in the October, 1992 issue of Trapper & Predator Caller. It was a piece on braintanning buckskin. I did a similar article for Buckmasters Whitetail magazine just a couple years later. The guy that taught me how to brain tan was named George Greening.
In the years that followed, George and I became even closer friends when he decided to take training to become an Emergency Medical Technician. I was one of his instructors, and after he got his license, he went to work for our department and we spent many shifts together. On one particular night, all of our other untis were on calls when we got paged out to a two-vehicle accident. Driving the smallest bus in the fleet, we get there and find we have a family of five, all with minor injuries, but needing transport nonetheless. George looked at me and , in a whisper, asked me what the hell we were going to do. I smiled at him, put one hand on his shoulder and told him that I was going to drive and he was going to take care of all five. 2dogs, Jeff and Todd can appreciate this type of predicament. We strapped all the little ones to KED boards, mom and dad on full spines, put the parents on the cot and the bench and lined the kids up head to toe down the aisle in the middle of the ambulance and away we went. George was a hell of a compassionate medic and went on to get a Paramedic’s license he never used (his choice). Had he stayed in the Service, he would easily have been one of the best on the street.
Several years ago, I did an article on bobcats and told about how one came to within fifteen minutes of me where I held it for nearly ten minutes. My photographer, a professional who had offered to do my photo support, lay thirty yards away under a blanket where he didn’t see a thing, and didn’t get a single picture. George was my photographer for several early articles, and was the guy with me that morning. We laughed about that a bunch of times.
When my wife and I got married, we were dirt poor. Still are, by some accounts. I contracted with George to do all the pictures of our wedding and he only charged us a hundred dollars. I can’t imagine it even began to cover his expenses, but he wouldn’t take another dime from me.
Three years ago, a large elm tree west of my house started to split at the base, threatening both my house and the neighbor’s. I had a quote of $1,300 to remove it. George owned a construction company and brought over a four-man crew, a crane and a bucket truck. Had the tree on the ground and cut into pieces I could manage by myself and only charged me $250. Again, less than the wages and fuel for the work. And you’re probably asking yourself what the hell any of this has to do with anything else.
I’ve known George for nearly twenty years. He did some goofy stuff, helped everyone he could, and often suffered a personal price for doing so, but it never stopped him. Ever. The list of people he went out on a limb for is too long to cover here, nor would I want to bore you with it. But knowing George for who he was and seeing everybody else bicker over bullshit just got the better of me. You see, sometime late last night, my friend George Greening, his beautiful wife Julie (a hell of a singer, by the way) and another lady I helped train to get her license as an EMT were all killed when George’s single-engine plane crashed into a field in La Vista, Nebraska.
I don’t know about the rest of you, but perspective just got a lot clearer for me.
Life is short.
Get over it.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen Lance; I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friends and pillars in our country.

Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friends lance.

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 05:59 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog911,
That plane crash was right across the river from me, and they have been showing photo's of it on the news all day today. Sad deal Lance, very sad.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 06:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We all share your loss, Lance. This is your family as much as it is mine. You are right, life is short and we should reflect on that.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all. Rich, sometimes the world gets a little too small, huh?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 07:03 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for your loss Lance.

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
timbertoes
Member # 604

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 07:22 PM      Profile for timbertoes   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My Sincere condolences Lance, and thank you for sharing the story of your dear friend.
Posts: 20 | From: Van Alstyne, TX | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 08:07 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
My sympathies & condolences to their family & to you as well, Lance. A tough go, for sure.

Many fine people, will meet once again, some day [Wink]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 08:16 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about this tragedy. He sounds like a REAL man & you`ve honored him greatly with your words Lance.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 08:24 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Your right life is short, and fragile. We all forget that sometimes. I wish you and all associated well.

Todd

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 06:33 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
What those other guys said, plus thank you for the good advice.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 06:40 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, my condolences also and my thanks for the perspective check.
IP: Logged
Randy Buker
Member # 134

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 06:59 AM      Profile for Randy Buker   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Buker         Edit/Delete Post 
The world is small and life is short. My sympathies to you and all who knew them.

--------------------
Hunting the Red Fox

www.geocities.com/foxhunter_56308

Posts: 158 | From: Parkers Prairie, MN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cat hunter1
Member # 493

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 07:06 AM      Profile for Cat hunter1   Email Cat hunter1         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to here about your freind Cdog911. I lost a very close freind of mine earlyer this year. We were freinds since grade school. Life is to short to let the little things get to us. Thanks for the story. Agin sorry for your loss. Wade

--------------------
"You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize-like I know you're going to-I might convince him that you really didn't mean it..."

Posts: 31 | From: Knox County, Mo. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 08:16 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about your loss Lance. There just aren't enough good people like that in the world.

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 09:24 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about the crash on the news. Knowing they were friends of yours really brings it home. My sympathies for you Lance.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 08:17 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's truly rotten. Sorry for your loss Lance.

Life really IS short. Way short. I think about that often, and try to take advantage of every day. Goes a long way towards not sweating the small stuff.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 08:57 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Your loss it the world’s loss in that we didn’t know him as you did.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 09:35 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about the loss Lance. That is tough losing someone who you have shared so much with.

Dave made a good point. Life is short and can be taken away very quickly... This past spring my 6 and 8 year old boys were hiking with me to check out an old mine shaft. On the way back down the trail from the mine my 8 year old slipped and fell off a rock ledge and proceeded to roll and bounce 200 feet down a very steep hillside covered with large boulders and cliffs. The last I saw of him before he went out of sight was a body that was limp and going head first down the hill. I just knew it was over. My worst nighmare as a parent had come true. When I managed to climb down to him and he was alive! To make a long story short, besides a concussion, some teeth knocked loose and scratches and bruises from one end to the other he was okay. And like kids do he healed up very quickly.

Every time I think I'm having a shitty day I think about that moment when I thought my boy was gone. It really makes you realize the small things in life like the almighty dollar and how many coyotes you kill are not important in the big picture.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rob
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 09:43 AM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang Lonny glad to hear your boy is alright...kids are tough little buggers aren't they.

--------------------
"Where did all these #$%^&* Indians come from?" Gen. George Armstrong Custer

Posts: 224 | From: Clancy Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 09:58 AM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that lesson on perspective Lance. Sorry for your loss. I type these words trying to blink away the tears thinking of how you feel. I lost a friend a couple of years ago.
Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 10:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When my son was younger, he was hiking up in the local mountains, alone. He was pulling himself up, by grabing a large rock, which he found out was cracked and split in half. The top half came down on him and dropped between his legs, the sharp edge slicing his knee deeply, about twelve inches long. He was somehow able to get himself down off that mountain and drove to the hospital, before bleeding to death.

That's how close it was between bleeding to death on a remote hillside. Less than an inch and a major artery would have been severed and he wouldn't have survived, maybe we might never have found him? Scary, but things like that happen all the time.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
InjunJoe
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 12:50 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
It's a sad thing.

Everyone be extra careful tonight.

IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 03:53 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

I find comfort in your responses and thank you for the support. I went out and met with his sister, another friend, and brother, who calls coyotes pretty well. They're all just stunned. Sadly, the FAA cannot release the bodies until (maybe) Monday and the funeral won't be until Thursday. I feel for them to have to endure this phase of the grief for over a week.

The early reports say that it appeared the plane turned back in dense fog and that he was possibly trying to get back and land her. He crashed within a mile of the runway. George was an intense and level headed guy and I can almost feel the anxiety he was feeling in those last moments as he sat hunched against the controls of the plane, worried not about himself, but in getting his wife and friend back safely on the ground. If he were here today, he would be overwhelmed with grief in knowing the pain he has cost us all with his and the others' loss.

I walked my route yesterday, heart heavy with grief. I can see his house from the last three loops of my day and I could see all the cars of friends and family in his driveway. Then I thought what George would say if he saw me moping around like I was and it would have been to get busy and get 'er done. Get my head up. Not to worry about him. He'll find his way, and I'm sure he has. I'll see him down ther trail a spell. And like with so much and so many times beofre, he'll show me around and teach me some new stuff that will be handy as hell later on.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters