The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Non Resident Licenses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Non Resident Licenses
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 8 posted January 04, 2006 07:59 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe what I just went through to hunt coyotes in Kansas and Oklahoma. $120 is what I just went through. I guess too many of the northern states allow it for free, and I can't believe a state would charge anyone to hunt coyotes. But they do and they suck.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 09:29 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,

It's all about money anymore. Used to be a time when they wanted anyone they could get to kill coyotes. Kansas has always charged for hunting coyotes. What was your NR general license here? I paid $67 to hunt Nebraska last year. Colorado has a pretty good set up at $5.25 a day for NR's or $45 for the year.

On the up side, KS implemented a new NR bobcat license this year - $100 - to call 'cats all season long. Had 34 licenses issued for '05 (up to 12-31-05) but only 5 have been sold thus far since 1/1/06.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 09:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for ya, Cal.....but, welcome to my world. I have been bitching for many years about non re$ licenses and fees. What you are seeing is the recognition that predator hunting is on the uptick, and these Game Departments are going to milk it for all it's worth.

Nevada has always had a good policy on coyotes, any other state license will do. But, I absolutely hated it when they restricted bobcats to residents, only.

It has not been too many years ago the non re$ general small game license in Arizona was 40 bucks, it's 113.50, now.

A lot of these jacked up fees are retalitory. No other justification.

Good hunting. LB

[ January 04, 2006, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 04:21 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Good thread.

Am I the only one to read this and think "OH Sh!t" I forgot my hunting license expired the first of the year.

Guess I know what I'll be buying today!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 04:57 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Leonard, except that in this part of the country, the retaliatory part of the issue stems from NR deer tags for whitetail deer. As much of a boom as deer have been for many states, any ills that are dealt with by many state agenmcies can be tracked back to their big game programs and how they handle, or mishandle the NR hunter. Whereas KS used to be chastised for NOT being fair to the NR, today our state legislature has swung so far the other direction because NR's are willing to give up more ching for the same deer that resident hunters are being bumped off the bench at the other end. This pertains specifically to deer hunting and, as I stated in Wiley's train wreck, is a major role player in why so many other ppl are starting to call coyotes in Kansas. They want something harder to hunt than rabbits, they've been marketed out of deer hunting by the money hungry legisdlature and farm lobbies, and coyotes offer that challenge. The state agencies are having a hell of a time meeting their budgets, the politicians are running ppl out of the sport right and left, and their licinse revenues are going with them. To offset those losses, the agencies request increases in those fees that will sell the most - all in hopes of at least making enough money to stay in business. It's an all around really bad deal and bodes poorly for hunting in general.

To be more specific about that up side, KS is now at $100 for a bobcat only hunting license - good for a year (The season). This is down from the previous $250.50 NR furharvesting fee. Unfortunately, the "season" spans two calendars - last year up to 12-31 and this year from 1-1 to the close of season. So, unless you plan to hunt here next year, it's not as good a deal as it first looks like. The state trapper's ass'n requested a $50 5-day tag instead but were soundly rejected.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cat hunter1
Member # 493

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 06:50 AM      Profile for Cat hunter1   Email Cat hunter1         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in MO it only $10.00 for out of state.

--------------------
"You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize-like I know you're going to-I might convince him that you really didn't mean it..."

Posts: 31 | From: Knox County, Mo. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 09:50 AM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Those prices are outrageous. I paid around $85 US to hunt in Canada. That included coyotes, wolves, and having to registered my gun (glad I only brought one).

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 03:08 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully we can make it worth your while.
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigc
Member # 777

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 03:57 PM      Profile for bigc   Email bigc         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, where did you go? Was the wolf hunting open like coyotes? That sounds like a good time!
Also, you had to pay per gun?

C

Posts: 32 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 04:30 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
C

That was at that Canadian get together they had last year in Alberta.

I actually figured that wrong. There were a lot of little certificates and tags needed that added up to $85 Canadian. Coyote and wolf were on one tag. There weren't a lot of wolves in that area but we were covered incase.

Gun registeration was an additional $50 (That one was US $). That was per each gun from what the guy told me.

Converting the 85 to US and adding the 50 comes to about $120. Which actually seems more logical considering everything.

The no e-caller thing in Alberta kills me, but hand calls is where I thrive anyway. It was a lot of fun though and I'll go again this year if I get it off.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters