The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » while we are at it..... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: while we are at it.....
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
another poll.

What is proper shot placement on the HM coyote at the top of the page.

Extra credit. Which way will he run if you miss?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 01:26 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shooting at the upper half of light colored fur that is straight above the coyotes right front leg. Aiming center-mass like you like to call it Leonard. Any well constructed .224 bullet will crumple this coyote right on the spot.

Turn him around 180 dergrees as for the direction he will run if you miss. It looks to me like this coyote just popped over that rise and is checking the scene over. And if it doesn't like what it see's it will retreat the same way

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Knows what it's all about
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 01:33 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Without thinking too hard about it, and in an effort to simulate real time conditions. This is where I would aim and squeeze;  -

I would guess he would run away and to the right or straight right on a miss. Just a guess. The picture would be bland without him there though.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 01:54 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I would move Brad's crosshair to the left right where the horizontal bar now ends.
Since she looks like she is standing on a ridge, she would probably drop down hard left.
Sure is a pretty thing, I'd hate to shoot her.

IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 02:01 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said in the other post (thank for pulling this out on it's own [Big Grin] ) I'd aim for his right front shoulder (2"-3" left of bradh, close to the same place as rich I think) with my 55 grain psp 22-250 or 100 grain psp .270.

If I missed infront of him I'd expect him to 180 and run away to the left.

If I missed behind him or over him and the bullet was behind his ears (so he thought the bullet "zing" was behind him) I'd expect the coyote to run forward to the right.

later,
scruffy

[ February 21, 2006, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 02:03 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go half way between Brad's and Rich's spot. If I could see that critter this close, I wouldn't beafraid of nailing the bone dead on. I'd actually hope bone shrappnel. I agree with Lonny. If I missed and he ran, he'd run right where he could guaranty his self safety....where he had just come from moments before reaching the top of the hill.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 02:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The way I understand what Krusty was saying, he aimed about where Brad put his mark? I have seen coyotes fuss when hit there.

edit: correction, I meant, when that is the point of aim. Sometimes your impact is a little off from your point of aim.

Good hunting. LB

edit: and brad. No offense, your opinion has value, as much as mine.

[ February 21, 2006, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 03:15 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
For a called coyote, I'd shoot just a little higher and to the left of Brad's mark.

-

For a sniped coyote at long range. I'd shoot for the shoulder at the left edge of my +

Edit:

Miss? I guess I'm out of practice with that one! Must be a coastal State Thing!

[ February 21, 2006, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
The bead of my shotgun goes right on his nose. After I jerked the trigger and my pellets rattled through the branches in the background to the right I would think the coyote would turn to our left and away. (assuming that was where the coyote came from in the beginning)
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
If he's not going to bang flop down after the shot, he will bolt off his left legs to the right. Shot placement largely depends on the poop in the caliber but generally a 7" circle drawn around the right fron shoulder should do the trick unless of course you jerk the trigger and take out the throat or head.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 03:59 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Anywhere thru both lungs is good.

Can't help but notice that Rich Higgins is refering to 'she' & that *** Nistetter is refering to 'he'???

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 04:08 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Inside of 200 yards, I'd aim for the left tip of Tim's horizontal bar and let the bone fragments add to the wound channel count. That left humerus makes for a big chunk of crap roaring thru that chest. One thing I noticed when hunting with Quinton: all his coyotes end up with a pretty nasty fracture of the front side shoulder/ foreleg juncture. One front leg is always spinning like a broken hand on a clock. Decided to try that approach myself this year - pick a spot, hit a spot - and the only one that didn't bang-flop was one I aimed a bit back on. Hit him there and it usually looks like a bowling pin teetering to a fall.

As far as fall, he'll land on his left side, all four legs drawn up in a decorticate pose and deader than snot. No rolling around, no kicking and twitching. Just plain ol' DRT.

That's what I'd do. At least, that's what I'd try to do. Can't guarantee that's what would happen. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 04:19 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
None taken at all Leonard. I would have done the same as Krusty from what I've read. I've had many good experiences with this shot and few bad. The difference is, all my experiences are using a Swift and 55gr Nosler BTs. That widens the margin of error I think, but I can only assume.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 04:33 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if that coyote were ontop of the last ridgeline. I wouldn't shoot. As I have a self imposed[No shootin 10' from the top of a hill rule].

If not, then I'd aim, 1" high & to the Right[NorEast]. From the center of Tim's Red cross.

If I missed[seems I've done that before [Roll Eyes] ]

I would lead her[if running flat-out] 1 body length per 100yrds. And fire for effect [Big Grin] .

If I were on a higher opposing hill across a valley from her. I'd be patient, because "most likely" she'll not run far[or in circles] [Cool] . Because the shot echo, will confuse her as to my location...BANG! again [Wink]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 05:14 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Ditto, thanks for pulling this aside.

And thanks to Brad for saving me the trouble of putting a crosshair on it.

I don't understand the "center of mass" I guess, maybe I think of it like center of gravity?
I wouldn't have guessed, it was where Lonny describes it being.
(*Edit maybe I was only thinking of a coyote as a two dimensional target, not giving it thickness)

As I said in the other thread, the HM coyote is quartered a LOT more (45-55°) than mine (20-25°) in my estimation.
His left rear leg was visible between his two front legs (backlit by the road in the sun).

The point I aimed for, was about where the dark neck ring on the HM coyote reaches it's lowest point, similar in height to Brad's crosshairs.

So yes, my point of aim was about where Brad's crosshairs are (but right), and with a different angle of attack.
And like Bryan says, I probably pulled the shot right and up a bit, so my point of impact followed the ring up and right 1" or so.

As he recovered, he snapped once at the front of his left shoulder, then once at the back of it (as he spun to run away).

On the HM coyote:

I'm between Danny and Brad's center, at the bottom of Tim's verticle crosshair, right in the middle of the light patch, and hopefully in front of the shoulder bone.

Like Rich, I really don't wanna shoot that coyote (I feel like he's part of the family).

I can't tell enough about the place to guess where it'd go if I missed.
I kinda expect, since it sees me, and the ground appears to drop away beyond the coyote, it would peel off to it's left, straight at the thickest cover back there, and then arc around towards where it came from.

But then again, you know and you never know... could run straight at me, if the brush beyond it is close enough (to him) that the shot rattling through it scares him my way?

I do know if I missed a gimme like that, he'd be running away from all the profanity. [Smile]

Krusty  -

[ February 21, 2006, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 06:36 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, that statement was an honest assessment of my own bad habits. I didn’t intend to imply what may or may not have happened to you. Like you, I’m my worst critic.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 07:56 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd shoot an inch higher than Tims shot,and over to the left three inches. This would hit high rear lung, and clip liver. She'd make one full spin and snap, then hump up and dive to her left. Nice snow, easy blood trail 15 yards to where she laid:)
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 08:40 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd better hope you got all of those 3" with that .17

Because if you only get 2" she's going to poke that leg straight out, spin around in circles while yelping, then run off never to be seen again!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 08:46 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
ok ok 3 1/2 inches:)
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 08:47 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm not carrying a bazooka anymore I'll put one at the upper left end of that dark mark in his "necklace" that is left of center. He won't run because he quit all movement, except down, when the .17 went in.
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 07:48 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Decided to try that approach myself this year
Lance (or Q), I've been contemplating that approach as well with my 22-250. What are the exits like? I assume fixable since you guys sell your hides. And where do you aim on a quartering away shot?

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 08:15 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
........right in the pupil of his right eye otta do it.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 10:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to play it cute. I am surprised at some answers. I agree 100% with others.

This is interesting. More opinions, please.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 01:51 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
With my 243, and 75 gr V-Max I would go 1"left and watch for the spray on the other side.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 02:03 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, there's a lot here to think about, thanks again.

Bryan,

Your statement was an honest assessment of most people's tendency to pull up (as Vic has mentioned many times), or to pull right (like I was all morning long with this rifle), especially in haste/excitement.

Not much else could explain how the bullet took the path the coyote "showed me", and the point of impact I saw through the scope, besides actually pulling high and right.

Like I said in the other thread, I am just searching for things that might have gone wrong, trying to think ahead, and find solutions to them now.
Next time I'll be armed with more firepower, AND more information.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters