The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » West Desert lastnight...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: West Desert lastnight...
grayman
Knows what it's all about
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2006 10:23 PM      Profile for grayman   Email grayman         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

Was out trying a new area last night and stopped to talk to a couple coyote hunters.. they were in a black pick-up with a couple of ATV 's in their wake. Was that any of you guys?

-Grayman

--------------------
[Img]http://www.graymanmedia.com/sigs/animated/grayman.gif[/img]

Posts: 46 | From: West Valley City, Utah | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
bigc
Member # 777

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 02:59 PM      Profile for bigc   Email bigc         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't me....how'd you do? I got 1 sunday evening out that way...she came into to a regular old rabbit going waa waa waa!!!

C

Posts: 32 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
grayman
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 11:52 PM      Profile for grayman   Email grayman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did crappy..

Was getting them to respond but they would not come in for love or money..

-Grayman

--------------------
[Img]http://www.graymanmedia.com/sigs/animated/grayman.gif[/img]

Posts: 46 | From: West Valley City, Utah | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
bigc
Member # 777

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 01:22 PM      Profile for bigc   Email bigc         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try out by the depot? If so, try straight howling....you just might do ok.

C

Posts: 32 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
doghunter42
PAKMAN
Member # 830

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 09:53 PM      Profile for doghunter42   Email doghunter42         Edit/Delete Post 
New here guys hows it going? Just got into the addictive sport about 6 months ago. Bought the videos, calls, gun, everything in 1 day had an uncle tell me about it and that was all it took.
So Ive only hunted places close to home not really knowing where to go. So I asked a few of the local guys who i have become sorta buddies with and he always tells me of this WEST DESERT but never tells me were it is actually located. Maybe you guys could help answer this stupid question for me.

Posts: 6 | From: Southern Utah | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 05:53 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
The West Desert basically refers to a huge area. Roughly everything west of I-15 and north of about Cedar City.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 05:53 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
doghunter42; Welcome aboard!!

Our Grand Poobah, Leonard is tending to a family crisis or he would extend the welcome himself. You'll find that this is a great place with a lot of priceless information, if you can get past the 'frat-boy pranks' that go on around here.

The West Desert is located around McNeil Arizona. That's where all of the coyotes are. Collecting hunting spots is something that you'll need to spend time & gas on. Where you hunt will depend in part on how you hunt. Some guys like a long straight dirt road that they can make a stand off of every mile or so. Some guys like to hike in, peeking & squeeking the draws. If you favor the shotgun, you'll be looking for tight places that the long range rifle shooters avoid. It's all good in the proper time & place.

A good place to start is with maps. You can never have to many maps to study.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
doghunter42
PAKMAN
Member # 830

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 10:12 AM      Profile for doghunter42   Email doghunter42         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thanks a lot guys. Glad to be aboard I found this website thanks to Dave so I would like to extend another thank you to you.
doghunter42
PAKMAN
Member # 830

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 10:55 AM      Profile for doghunter42   Email doghunter42         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been huntihg outside a little town called MARYSVALE a lot of cattle farmers around but none of them are real excited to let a stranger hunt there fields they're the type that like to keep to themselves. So Ive traveled a few dirt roads stopping where it looks like it might have good potential to produce a dog. And honestly Ive probably only called in 7 or 8 dogs. And have made only god knows how many stands. Like I said still a beginner. Lived in Salt Lake my whole life loved to hunt waterfowl and upland game.
Moved down here about 2 yrs. ago I was 18 Just workin my butt off. Met a guy who hunted dogs down here gave me a video and I only watched half of it before I was at the local sporting good store buying all the gear the calls, camo, and gun. Salesman talked me into the RUGER 220 SWIFT is it a good gun??? But I keep going and going like the damn ENERGIZER BUNNY and hope that practice will eventually make cose to perfect.Cant wait to try out even more areas need to find a buddy to go with probably make it a lot more fun and successfull.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters