The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Ok Leonard, I'll start one.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ok Leonard, I'll start one.
Doggitter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 07:52 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel guilty. It isn't anything grand, but I still do. Just like most all of us that hunt Coyotes, I've taken to hunting winter time only. Maybe I haven't, I really want to go hunting. I mean, is there something in all you wintertime hunter's noggins that just eats at you to hunt any damm day you want? Am I such a pud for thinking it because it just shouldn't be? There are a lot of fellas that I think pretty highly of that I'd be resigning myself to the manure pool in their minds when they read this, as if I'm not already. It's not like I hunt myself sick of it in the winter. Yadayadayada.
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 04:39 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you feel guilty? Outside of depredation work, there are a lot of guys that kill only during pelting time, even amongst those that don't kill for fur. I'm one of those guys, too. Despite the apparent disdain that some folks feel for the lowly coyotes, I choose not to kill them unless there's a reason beyond simply killing them for fun and fun alone. For me, that reason is for the fur. Makes me feel like they died for a reason. Kinda shallow, but it validates my shot all the same. Now, having said that, I pray and hope for a phone call right about now from a landowner on my list that has suffered an unfortunate loss to coyotes in the off season so I can grab my gear and (hopefully) go whack a coyote. Kinda takes the edge off. But I don't generally call at this time of the year with a gun unless I have a reason beyond "I just want to." This is one of those topics that stirs the turds up with a lot of the hunters down south and west where a combination of lotsa coyotes and little fur shoots holes in my rationale anyway, so brace yourself.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 05:13 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda getting the itch to go shoot something. Might have to slip out a couple of times before the crops get to tall.

Morally, what's worse, to let the pups die in the hole or to let them contract mange from the adults and then proceed to spread it all over the countryside before dying a slow and painful death in the winter?

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 05:46 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Guilt?

Isn't that some kind of Vegan word?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 07:44 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I hunt in the winter. There are limits, though. I will not tolerate a coyote in my yard any time of the year. Period, no guilt, etc...
Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 10:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There is an ethical issue and it doesn't need explanation.

I get enough during the season, but I am anxious to get out much too soon, usually late June, at least by July. They aren't any good, but it's an itch that needs scratching.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 06:27 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch Tim. There definitely isn't any vegans here. Seems that was the second hit from you. Did that come from my locale so close to hippy town? In reference to that I'm way out of place. No long hair, no pot, no tie die, no tree hugging, no bullshit liberal crap. Wranglers, haven't even owned a pair of SHOES in over 10 years(boots only), I cut any tree on the place that I even think is in the way, the Dalmation is the wife/daughter's, I've migrated to a healer and 2 Airedales.
Or did I smack you some other way? It's been years since I flamed someone on the net so if I did you it wasn't intentional.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 06:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim didn't mean to offend you, I'm sure of that. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 07:05 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite the opposite doggitter. I'm of the opinion that if you want to go shoot a coyote, then you should have every right to go and shoot one, no matter what time of year it is. But never let anyone make you feel "Guilty" for doing so

Don't recall what the first "Hit" was, but I'm sure I didn't mean it that way either.

Most of my posts are written in pure humor, with a cold beverage in hand.

Usually, when I try to offend someone, I end up with adjectives that show up as a line of astrics.

[ May 24, 2006, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 10:30 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool. Sorry I thought it was heading that way.
"but I am anxious to get out much too soon"
I guess mine is starting quite a bit sooner than your's Leonard. If I keep myself busy I may be able to fend it off. Haying IS coming up quick.

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 10:23 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I quit hunting them in march. I get my equipement cleaned up and put away and then i get ready for gophers in the spring, then its onto walleye fishing and postal shoots and before you know it its time for ducks and pheasants. Then the snow flies and i'm off after the coyotes. Which is only five months away. Boy time really goes by fast when I'm haveing fun.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 11:20 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
I call this time of year for two purposes. One, to help farmer who have had actual coyote problems (not dogs or still born calfs...) and to help farmers or prop owners who are trying to build habitat for increased pheasant, turkey, quail, etc and need someone to help manage the predators they have raiding the nests. I'm really busy in the spring, this spring is no different, I have more places to call than I have time. I spent all day last saturday calling 8 farms and still have a couple farms I haven't called yet. No rest for the wicked I guess, LOL. [Big Grin]

Also, I view this time of year as only last chance to kill an educated adult coyote that has eluded me all winter. I have two such coyotes this year, one is now dead, I'm still after the other one but have very little hope of getting him. He's had one bullet zing past him and has seen mate killed (November) and possibly the replacement mate (May) killed. You'd think at some point the old boy would leave... One farmer observed last deer season while in a stand the male coyote chasing a rabbit through a draw, the rabbit ran out into the open field and the coyote stopped at the cover edge, watched the rabbit run off, and went back to hunting the cover. I don't really expect him to come to a call, he's as wary as a coyote can get... [Frown]

Anyway, getting off topic, on the properties I kill the adults on in the spring, it's vacant for pups from other sections to move in and take as their own in the early winter. Young dump fured up pups that come running into the call. [Big Grin]

later,
scruffy

[ May 25, 2006, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 04:27 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
The fellow down the road from me is having problems with his sheep being killed each night by coyotes ( Coyotes is a sheepherders term for stray dogs )

I've been trying to help out, by mixing up a big pot of gravy each evening and pouring it across the backs of the sheep just after dark each night.

So far it's been working pretty well. [Big Grin]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 05:43 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
It is no secret that I have little use for those that have no respect for an animals right to raise its young but I have to blame that on my up bringing. One summer day when I was about 12 my dad and I were out sighting in our rifles and on the way home we spotted a coyote out in a field. I yelled out “COYOTE” and started rolling down the window but my dad kept on driving. I couldn’t understand why he wasn’t stopping I knew he heard me just fine.

There no good this time of the year Quint besides that coyote could have pups. If you kill that coyote you could kill a whole den full.” I said “SO! It is legal.” Dad pulled over but not to let me shoot the coyote. He pulled over to have a little talk with me.

He said, “So, you want to kill a coyote that is no good and could have pups in the ground do you?” Defiantly I said yes knowing I was in for it. “Well”, he went on to say, “You are willing to kill an animal with young just for the pleasure of making death? So tell me Quint, what is your definition of a slob hunter? You disappoint me son.”

That was all that was said.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 06:00 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Q! [Cool]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
InjunJoe
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 06:08 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Very profound Q. Makes a guy re-think the whole enchilada.
My dad once told me “If it ain’t stump broke, you best not go near it.”
Had the same affect on me as what your dad told you.

What does your dad have to say Tim?

IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 06:17 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
So Joe, because of your father you won't approach anything that isn't stump broke? There is a whole enchilada worth rethinking.
IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 06:17 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys need some healthy prairie dog towns in your area, seems to "scratch my itchy trigger finger" pretty well. And, the p-dog pups are up and out of the holes by now, so I don't even have to worry about leaving them to suffer!! A guy could even bring along his/her favorite coyote call, just to blow it some to keep yourself sharp for calling season!!

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 06:22 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Dad told me to mix that gravy real thick, so it'd stick to the sheep until the dogs got there.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 08:05 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim; instead of gravy, maybe you could smear some coyote gland lure on a few sheep. Might even result in a 'Kodak Moment'.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 08:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The only pertinent advice I recall from my dad was; it's a poor man that can't deal himself a winning hand.

But, I have no argument with those that take out problem coyotes, during denning season. What I do, is my own business, and what they do is none of my business.

To be plain, the season is long enough as it is, and I generally do not hunt between February and (at least) July. But if, (big if) I wanted to kill a coyote, that time of year, I would do it, and I wouldn't much care what someone else might think of it.

Hard to define, but I think much the same about the philosophy of eating what you shoot. If it works for some people, that's fine. But, Don't hang that requirement on me because I might have a different philosophy and I don't like others to tell me what I should do, or how I should think.

For me, to not hunt during the denning season is strictly a personal decision, but I will leave the ethics and morality of it to others that are more qualified to pass judgement.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2006 07:11 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
well put Leonard, i can live with that.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters