The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » what is this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what is this?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 12:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He's killed a couple birds in the yard, picked the carcass clean. I'm not sure what it is though? Red tail? Looks a little small?

-

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 07:16 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I'm far from being a bird expert, but that looks a lot like what we call in these parts a "sparrow-hawk". I know thats not the proper name, I think that Kestral might be the more proper term? I see them in town as well as out. Often hovering over an area scanning for mice, I guess? Cool looking little birds.

[ June 14, 2006, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 11:12 AM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a Cooper's Hawk based on the size. Sharp-shinned hawks look just like Cooper's Hawks but are smaller.

I have a purple martin house in my yard and the martins get attacked from them quite often.

Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 02:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, NASA wrote an email, agreeing with you. He said Cooper's Hawk. It doesn't seem to be suitable habitat for any medium size hawk, but there he is. I have caught a few glimpses of him(?) the past few months, sometimes he perches on the wall, sometimes in one tree. He apparently knows that I feed the birds? Kinda neat; hardly ever remember a hawk hanging around here in the middle of suburbia? An owl, once in a while. Are Cooper's the one that hunts in pairs, or am I thinking of something else?

Good hunting. LB

edit: By the way, all those coffee cans on the table have wild bird seed in them. Better, and easier to handle than a fifty pound sack, and keeps the moths out of the house.

[ June 14, 2006, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Buffalobob
Knows what it's all about
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 02:36 PM      Profile for Buffalobob   Email Buffalobob         Edit/Delete Post 
Coopers are making a big comeback lately. I think less people are applying pesticiides to their yards which means a few more bugs for the song birds and that means a few more songbird eaters. We have had one here for about four or five yrears that would visit the neighborhood bird feeders regularly. I haven't seen it this spring.

About three years ago I was out late season dove shooting and got into a contest with a sparrow hawk on who could get the most birds. The Sparrowhawk was way better than me. It would dive bomb the little flocks of ditty birds an select one that flew for the open areas. It seldom missed a bird in the open. If the birds were smart and stayed low in the sunflowers it usually wouldn't be able to get them.

[ June 14, 2006, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Buffalobob ]

Posts: 90 | From: Potomac River | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 04:27 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Harris hawks are the ones that hunt in pairs. In fact, I've seen them on many occasions flying around behind combines (sp? - big grain pickin' tractors) in fours and fives not only in pairs. Anyway, great picture Leonard; that is a gorgeous bird!

e-mail? Don't be shy NASA! [Smile] Seen any snakes lately?

Just curious, where is the iguana all this time?

[ June 14, 2006, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the Cooper's hunt in pairs. They are definitely masters at deception. They'll hide somewhere and swoop on my martins out of nowhere. A few weeks ago I had one attack the side of my martin house. I ran outside yelling and started shaking the pole. He continued the attack for 10 seconds with me right below him. I lowered the house to see if he got anything and the martins were still in their cavities.

I love to see them when I'm sitting in a tree stand. They come swooping through the trees without making any sound. Impressive hunters.

Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Raven
Member # 204

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 07:40 PM      Profile for Raven   Email Raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's called a Harris Hawk. I'm not sure on the name, but I do know that the Knight's and Noblemen of the old days used to use them for hunting. When trained, they make an excellent companion. How do I know this, you ask? Well cause I know someone who is a professional Jouster and Falconer and he has one. *grins* They are amazing birds! Can fly at incredible speeds, are extremly smart and are quite tough, in spite of their small size.

--------------------
A steak is a terrible thing to waste!

Posts: 38 | From: Killeen TX | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 01:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sam ate the dang thing?

-

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 02:12 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sam and I are a lot alike.

I've seen pictures of him lounging by the pool - I'm like that, too.

I saw the title "What is this?" and then the picture and let my "hillbilly" exercise a bit and thought "target" is what this is, though that is too nice a canopy or whatever to put a hole in. Evidently Sam thought "target", too. Huh, hillbilly iguana...who'd a ever thunk of such a thing?

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 02:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I tossed him up there just for Danny. He goes out almost every day, and scratches at the door when he wants to come in. I thought he would "freak" up there but he liked it, didn't want to come down. Actually, I wonder if the hawk is a threat to him? Seems a little doubtful? LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 02:39 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was kidding. From looking at the pic I could tell that there was too much "hill" and not enough "billy" for that pot bellied critter to get up there by himself... pot belly...one more thing Sam and I have in common.....
Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, We're no longer 'Hill Billys' in this new politicaly correct era. We are now called 'Mountain Americans'.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 09:44 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, that Cooper's hawk is no threat to the iguana. However, a big female red tail just might give that lizzard a run for the money. I wouldn't worry about it, though. Not very likely to happen.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 11:22 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Either I'm just in a really good mood or everone is being just plain funny this morning.

"Mountain Americans" lol I really like that one! [Smile]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 12:53 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Well everyone has a PC title now, but I am still a swamp rat.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 02:31 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie,

How 'bout "Boondock American"?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 03:38 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Chicken Hawk Leonard, shoot the bugger!
Hey, is that a Geico rep. up there on your little tent?

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 04:16 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, if you ever get the opportunity to go out and hunt with a falconer, you should do it. A trained hawk is a thing of beauty. Even the lowly redtail will impress you with flights at jack rabbits. Can you imagine going turkey hunting with nothing more than a hawk sitting on your fist? Or duck or pheasant hunting? And they'll do that for you for just a mouthfull of pigeon breast. Chicken hawk? Nah, they deserve more respect than that. [Wink]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
How cool would it be if Higgens could hang a video cam on a big raptor??!!??!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters