The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Where's Byron and Gerald? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Where's Byron and Gerald?
Baldknobber
Knows what it's all about
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 02:40 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to Byron South and Gerald Stewart? Haven't been online much this spring, but haven't seen any of their posts lately. Always made for an interesting read. TB

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2006 06:18 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a post a few months ago, that some folks found offensive.

They and a few others, haven't been back since.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2006 01:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald is a good friend, he has a business to run and sometimes gets caught up in message boards a little too much and then backs away. Not a lot different than other people. Whenever he decides to join in, he is welcome, and a definite asset to any discussion.

Byron interjected himself into a thread begun by Scott Huber and (I think) imagined that he was the subject when, in fact, Scott didn't even know who he was? It's here to review, on the back pages, if anyone has a mind, but these disagreements and misunderstandings are part the weakness of this means of communication.

That's about all I know, but even when people get pissed off and "leave" they usually come back and lurk now and then; so maybe one of them will see the inquiry.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2006 01:11 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is:

http://www.huntmastersbbs.com/cgi/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000983#000014

I thought Wiley was insulting as Hell to Byron in that thread, myself. Transparent protestations to the contrary not withstanding.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2006 05:52 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave you are categorically and supremely articulate as hell!!! (I can't believe I just used that word!) I'm sitting here going...

"Hmmm, I've seen all of those words before many times. Why the heck can't I understand it? Hmmm, let's try re-wording it, see through protests to the opposite not included .

Smart guys always lose me!?!? [Confused] [Smile]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2006 09:20 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a long post composed and deleted it.

Short version:

I read what Dave has to say, he's right again.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2006 10:32 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't much care who was right. I miss guys like Byron and Gerald. Both are treasure troves of knowledge and spiced things up a bit.

Not much spice 'round these parts anymore -- guess that's one of the risks of shitting in your own house.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2006 08:55 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, If they ever do apprehend me. I won't you and Rich as my Banisters.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2006 11:23 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie, that would mean I'd have to put myself within reach of the authorities too. But for you, I'd do it!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2006 12:54 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not much spice 'round these parts anymore -- guess that's one of the risks of shitting in your own house.

[Confused] I miss them too Tripp, but I didnt know the board was dead?

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2006 03:09 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
The Outdoor Tripp,
So you want to see a little spice around here?
Rich Higgins wears pink, girly looking huntin' boots! There now that orta get something started.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2006 03:21 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rich Higgins wears pink, girly looking huntin' boots! There now that orta get something started.

Hell, everyone who's ever hunted with Rich knows that.

But I keep hearing rumors, that you won't hunt with a lot of different guys, because you don't want them to know that you secretly shoot a 17 Remington as your favorite coyote rifle!

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2006 03:46 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a rumor that Tim actually has a kennel full of Airedales and gives tolling demostrations....

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2006 09:22 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
There may not be much spice, but there is a hell of a lot of integrity. That's a lot harder to find than spice.

--------------------

Raven
Member # 204

Icon 12 posted July 01, 2006 11:50 PM      Profile for Raven   Email Raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Where can I find a pair of girly pink hunting boots? Can you tell me where to find a pick gun to match too? Wonder if Louis Vaton makes camo bags?

--------------------
A steak is a terrible thing to waste!

Posts: 38 | From: Killeen TX | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2006 06:57 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't help you out with the boots. But I'm sure McMillan would make you a nice pink swirl stock. And if you can get there quick, I know where you can pick up this awesome hunting rig:

-

- DAA

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2006 08:32 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Dave my "huntin rig" ain't for sale . Matches my boots and undies.
If I can ever get that Ole Cranky Cronk out here calling with me I'll have him wearing pink too. [Smile]

[ July 02, 2006, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2006 08:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
All this talk reminds me of onecoyote and his pantyhose...as Wil Craig used to say..."you sweet thang". Same goes for you, Rich.

Good hunting. (from Seal Beach) LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2006 09:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
These kinds of discussions and the previous (link) are a good example of why those of us with message boards get knee deep in quarrels and disputes and wind up not being able to win, no matter what you do. Shut it down, interfere, take sides, or let it run it's course, regardless, you are going to piss somebody off.....maybe everybody? On the other hand, some people appreciate being able to sound off without fear of censorship. Some may also find it interesting to know that Wiley E lost his posting privilages for a while over that little deal.

Oh well. LB (in Seal Beach)

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2006 09:22 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one to notice that Leonard has always referred to his various hunting rifles as his "Bag of Clubs" and now he is in a place called Seal Beach?

Bring back some nice steaks for us all Leonard!

Those who take easy offence to what goes on here on the WWW need only to go over to usenet and post an ethics question on someplace like Rec.hunting

I used to get the biggest tickle out of guys who would take easy offence to a post, then get their panties in a wad and DEMAND that everyone follow his line of thinking, or that a moderator step in and Unsubscribe him. ( Usenet has no moderators, and you are censored only by your ISP )

I think you are doing a hell of a good job here Leonard, you keep things in a nice balance. You will never get everyone in 100% agreement with everything, but you do a good job of keeping the conversations open and flowing.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2006 10:16 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
This site and the way Leonard runs it reminds me of Mother Nature. The playing field gets leveled all on its own. If open and honest discussion is not you're environment you move on.

Those that remain are just like the Coyotes we take the heat, the cold, the lean and the fat, and we hang in there.

There are many protected havens for those that can't.

--------------------

Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2006 12:28 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
......"Wiley E lost his posting privileges for awhile over that little deal."

Leonard, you are a man of valor. TB

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 08:28 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Baldnobber, I lurked, I saw and I responded just like Leonard said people do. Thanks for asking. Tim was right. I did take offense. Not only at what was being said but what was being allowed.

I saw in that discussion, shades of another board where I was the subject of the scorn of some who had a burr under their saddle for me. I saw the same elements here that frustrate me greatly about this medium called bulletin boards. The flat one dimensional written word is easily misinterpreted twisted and intentionally used to foment discord. It is used to wrongly discredit and improperly represent true intentions.

As much as I like Leonard, warts and all, I chose not to frequent his board anymore for two reasons. I will list them and hope that he and the rest of you will try to understand them as they are intended. I will devote a paragraph or two to each in case anyone wants to cut and paste a quote.

(1) I disagree with the statement in this thread by Varmint Hunter that “The playing field gets leveled all on its own. If open and honest discussion is not you’re environment you move on”. The free-for-alls that Leonard allows under his stated attempt to allow “some people (to) appreciate being able to sound off without fear of censorship”, are possibly the furtherest thing from truthful and honest some of the time. This type of forum is a breeding ground for chest thumping, piling on, baiting and host of other adjectives. I believe that when it reaches the level of dishonesty and school yard tactics that one thread and others have, he should tell them to take it off the board. When it no longer deals with a legitimate issue or someone poking fun at a friend then it would have no place on my board.

This is the place where I hope Leonard has a thick skin. I suspect that he allows that kind of atmosphere because he himself enjoys and wants to be allowed to join the fracas without fear of censorship. That is his right and I would not try and deny him that, but I choose not to be a participant where that is allowed. I know exactly what Byron was experiencing because I have been a target of that myself. It may not have started out that way on Scott’s part but when it evolved to that, Leonard should have stepped in…in my humble opinion. I want honest discussion so that is why I moved on Varmint Hunter. I do not want to be a part of a Tabloid Bulletin board. That is my gift to you Leonard, the Pampass joke needs to be put to rest. Now you can remember me every time you use that in a proud way. [Smile]

(2) Leonard’s correct with his statements about my time being limited. Throw in the tremendous disappointment of that occasion on top of a lawsuit and two fulltime careers and something had to give. You made this an easy choice. I say that in light of the fact that I consider many on here good friends. That should tell you the level that occasion rose to in my mind.

Let me say a word or two about Byron and Glenn. From what I can see and interpret from my reading, I think you may have it wrong on both of those guys. At least on one and possibly both. I met Byron initially on the internet. He has stopped by my office more than once in his travels through our area. We have gone out to supper on a couple of occassions. He drove out to and back from the Huntmaster Campout last year with me. We have done seminars at the same events. I think I can say that very few on this board have spent that much time with him.

I find him to be very likable. I find him to be knowledgeable on quite a variety of subjects. I find him polite, humorous and devoted to raising his kid’s right. I respect him for trying to be smart and prudent in making a better life for himself and his family. Who among us does not believe that we should have the right to change careers in mid life to make life less physical and more fun? He had the gumption to do what many on this board may sit and only wish they could do. I hope that it is not jealousy that motivates the attacks on him because he has become successful in such a short time. He has developed a following and been successful monetarily because he has given the viewing public what they want and they like him. He endears himself to enough that he is successful. What in the world could be wrong with that? If you disagree with some of his philosophies, that’s fine. You can state that in a way that builds respect in others eyes or you can do it in a way that makes me think the next thing out of your mouth is going to be Nanny Nanny Boo Boo.

As for Glenn, I just met him for the first time Saturday night. I have read a bunch of his postings today and those of others who objected to some of those postings. I have not read some, because I have not found them in the archives. Some may have been deleted already, so the jury is still out with me. I can tell you though, that at the forum that I gave everybody to be together Saturday night, I did not witness a shameful self promoter. The fact was that he was engaging, interesting, and an obvious family man. Time may tell me a different story about Glenn, but I suspect it will not venture far from what I have already perceived. If you can send me urls to some posts that the real Glenn Guess posted then bring’em on. I will hold him to the same expectation that I have for others when it comes to civility, honesty and character. I love the fact that he posts lots of pictures of him, his family and friends hunting together. I have not viewed one of them as self promotion.

Thanks for the kind words Tripp. You took the high road considering that my comments to you that day could be considered from the low road. I owe you an apology for stepping out of character. I will do that the next time we talk on the phone or face to face. Is this thread spicy enough for you?

It is tempting to get humorous to try and soften your opinion of me if this makes you uncomfortable but I won’t. I am just trying to be truthful about the reasons for my actions. I hope all of the parties from both sides of this issue will stop the Hatfield and McCoy battle. It does not represent our fraternity very well at all. I am most embarrassed for those who are looking for a forum home and decide to go elsewhere.

I will be out of the office tomorrow so please do not expect me to respond to your comments for a day or so. It is late enough here that I am going to bed.

[ September 26, 2006, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Gerald Stewart ]

Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 09:37 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald,

I miss you buddy.

I wish you'd come back to posting here from time to time, your knowledge, humor and friendship are greatly missed, by myself and many others.

I don't know Glenn from Adam, we've never crossed paths, I've heard a lot from both sides of the table about him, but until he's put the screws to me, I've caught him in several outright lies or I've personally witnessed him screwing a friend, I'll try to remain neutral.

I like Byron, In fact, the only negative I can come up with him personally is that he just chatters too much. But that's a personal problem I have with anyone who can out talk a 4 year old girl with ADD, a basket of chocolate and a big mug of Espresso. [Wink] Nothing against him, it seems to work for him, but my ears can't take that much.

I really enjoyed the time I've gotten to spend with you, and our time with Byron at last year's hunt.

The camp out this year will be missing a lot with out you there. I wish you would come and join us.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 10:11 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, what Tim said. Wish you could make it this year.
IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters