The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Jack Rabbit Hunters (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Jack Rabbit Hunters
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 08:31 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is intersted in shooting a few thousand jack rabbits, give me a call. I took the kids out last night from about 6pm till 9pm, before dark and shot over 80 with 22s. I have no idea what a guy with a centerfire could do in a day. I have never seen the numbers like this. It has been really hot and dry, so anywhere there is water they are congrgated like fleas. We didn't even make a dent in what we saw last night and never got more than a mile or two from the house. If you crossed the whole ranch you had better have a trailer on just to haul ammo.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 08:54 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Frijoles! I bet your gonna have some really fat coyotes this week!

$20.00 says that in no less than 30 min. after reading this post, NASA will be putting in for time off! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 09:06 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Well let me see---------widespread drought + one water hole + lots of tasty jackrabbits =? I think Cal won't need his howler in order to locate the coyotes. [Wink]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 10:21 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Loco, you wouldn't? [Confused] I like hunting and I also like shooting. PD's and jacks can't be considered "hunting", but it's for damn sure fun.

You wanna' take a ride up? Don't sweat the gas. You provide the munchies, I'll provide the transportation. Deal?

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 10:49 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, sounds like great training for the kids.

I would love to get out there and hire Dave as my personal running jack Rabbit shooting instructor.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I may have Lonny and Nasa coming, but was hoping Dave would bite too. He could get enough video here in a week to make four or five varmint safari videos. (kind of like some of the texas guys with coyotes) I got to shooting quite a few running shots with the 22 just out of boredom with the sitters. I went to town and bought a case of 17 HMR and will start whittleing on them with that also.

[ July 17, 2006, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 12:30 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, I remember a drought in 1980 and the jackrabbits migrated from all over the desert to Mudlake, Idaho. They were appealing for help in the news media. We were going to drive up and help with the problem but they required a non resident license. Some enterprising fellow organized a drive and wound up clubbing a bunch of them to death and they loaded them on refrigerated trucks and shipped them to Bangladesh.
IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 01:05 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like a bumper crop of 'em all over the West this year. I have not seen them quite as thick as it sounds like you have them Cal, but thick enough that I wouldn't drive more than about 90 minutes to get in all the shooting I want on them. Started last winter, actually - I saw more of them, in more places, while out calling, than I have seen in probably close to 20 years. Only found time to go out and shoot them one day though, and let my Son do most of the shooting (pic below).

Rich, I remember the Mud Lake infestation well. My Dad took me up there probably 10 times over two winters and let me burn up a boxcar of .22 ammo on those jack rabbits. We didn't take part in any of the organized drives, but I still remember the footage on the local news from them.

Here's a happy LGA, on his first jack rabbit hunt last winter:

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 06:38 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
They are thicker than normal around here this year. I am seeing them out in the middle of the day.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 06:51 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagnabbit! I would SO like to be able to help you too. I've only gotten into them real thick once and man I had a ball.
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 09:27 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Sooo T-squared What time are we leaving Friday?

Call me! Hey Cal', will a plain ol' ordinary Remington .243 with a short barrel be okay?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 02:18 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
.243!?!?!? [Eek!] Danny, save that for when they attack! We're talking volume here. You'd burn up $50 worth of ammo in the first 15 minutes. .17's and .22's will be the workhorses. Save the larger CF's for 300 yd. hero shots. This is going to be hand to hand combat, lol.

I'm pulling out at 8AM Fri. That's 335 miles so I don't want to be sleeping in late. Weather forcast is dry, clear, high 80's.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 02:45 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you guys have enough fun for me too. Probably be some months before I get time to go out amongst the jacks.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 02:56 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, it sure would make it more fun if you could be there! [Big Grin]
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys could be successful with anything from bazookas down to good sized rocks. Caliber is not important, but the amount of ammo you can afford and bring is. Like I said we shot over 80 just with 22s. Never took a shot over 60 yards or so. My boy (12) is getting dialed in and deadly. The next evening I took the 17 HMR and shot 36 in a row out to 150 or so before my first miss, and I never missed again after that. And with a 20 mph wind to boot. That gun almost makes it too easy, but the 17 HMR easily has to be the ultimate jackrabbit gun of all time. No runners or squealers, just dead rabbits, with some amazing back flips on the head shots.

--------------------

RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 09:50 AM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
I went on my first Jack Rabbit shoot a few weeks back. Bought a 17 HMR and let my son ride on the tool box as I spot lighted. He had a blast. The 17HMR worked great. You know it is all about shot placement.
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 11:07 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Cal. I've got a bottle of Patron here that says your personality intensity would hardly be noticeable. I hope you're around for a lab test. [Big Grin]
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 11:33 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a question. Now its got nothing to do with morality or anything, just my ignorance. We dont have any jacks to speak of.

Is there a reason to shoot these things? Destructive? Or just for fun? Kinda like prarie dog shooting?

Just curious. From the outside lookin in, it would seem that if you had a good hole of rabbits, it would make for better coyote hunts. And, maybe take pressure off the lambs?

Just curious.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 11:50 AM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
Same as groundhogs. They are destructive to the farmers crops. I was invited to help a farmer out in the area we were shooting.
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 12:03 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, Normally I'm not a rabbit shooter or a prairie dog shooter, but they have gotten out of hand! 5 jacks = 1 sheep or antelope.
5 sheep or antelope = 1 cow calf pair or AUM. When there are literally thousands of jacks, you get the picture. The cottontail are at their worst also. I have hundreds of them around my house, and now they are starting to die off, so every day I get to search out the source of the stench and pack it off. I can't do a damn thing about the cottontails as they are a game animal and have a season.

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 12:11 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
When there are drought conditions the rabbits are drawn in to the areas with the most forage. When that happens to be a ranchers alfalfa, crop, or grass sections, the results can be devastating, physically and financially.
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 12:17 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I get the picture. Thanks fellers.

Have fun!!

Cal, that would get old....

--------------------
Andy

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 12:30 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, I just shoot them for fun, and for the practice, myself. There is no question that they can be very destructive when present in good numbers though. Here is a short video clip that Blaine took winter before last, that shows the kind of density Cal is dealing with. When they get that thick, it ain't healthy for anything.

- DAA

--------------------

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 12:34 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
HeHeHe, yeah, I got that tape Dave. Thats a bunch of rabbits for sure.

--------------------
Andy

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 01:26 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, it's fun for the first 90 minutes or so. Then for the rest of the day, it's work. But at least it's work you can enjoy! [Big Grin]

If each gun isn't getting at least 20 per hour, we're not giving the rancher what he needs.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters