The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » It stinks around here (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: It stinks around here
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 07:34 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Here, as in the ranch where I live. Most of you know that I had some rabbit hunters of fame here a couple times. I was out putting up archery blinds today and the smell of deads rabbits still lingers. Actually at a couple places I about gagged.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 07:35 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it!
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 07:41 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal; you said you where putting up blinds. For Antelope? If so any big ones around in youre area?

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 08:20 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,been curious about that Coyote pup you have.Did you get it before or after it's eye's where open?Is it wild as can be or is it sleeping on the bed with you guy's?How's it's relationship with the Hounds?.....Gary
Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 06:09 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
TA, We have some nice antelope, but not big in the Arizona-New Mexico way. Our archery guys probably average 14" horn length and 74" P&Y score wise. The best thing here is we have alot of them.

Sparky, the coyote was caught with eyes closed and is doing good. It is pretty gentle, but not house trained so it doesn't come in. It plays in the yard, gets along with dogs and kids and is quite a kick. Watching it get to play with Nasa, Claimbuster and Q, that is some good entertainment. Watching Q pet a coyote without a swift hole in it..... Priceless!

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 06:37 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal; 14" is nice. Yes you are right about haveing alot of them. When i was staying at motel in Rocksprings, i got an early mourning surprise. I awoke and looked out the window and there was a young antelope buck standing in parking lot. I saw alot of them south of greenriver and north to Pinedale.

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 08:29 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
TA, when Cal says he has a lot of them, that is no exaggeration. While I was up there on my coyote and eagle feeding expedition, I was totally flabergasted by one herd that was between 80 and 100. There may have been even more in that herd, as some were lying down in the tall grass.

I posted earlier about one big, bold buck that stared us down. He was an easy 14" and his horns almost formed a "heart".

Even a blind man could fill his tag on that ranch.

Cal, sorry about the stink. The turkey vultures should be showing up any day now. Maybe you should have suggested we pick up our kills and made a bait pile somewhere. I could do that next time! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 03:07 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
It was quite the experience going to Cals place. When I drove down his lane I had to stop to let a 70 class antelope cross in front of me and dodged several bunnies and a couple of jackrabbits for the remainder of the 300 yard drive. After successfully dodging the local wildlife I finally came to a stop in his driveway only to see him and the boys playing fetch with a damned coyote! Talk about priceless! LOL

Had a great time and got to warm up some barrels to boot. My poor old swift got branding iron hot within a few minutes so I stuck with the hmr for the remainder of the trip. Cal felt guilty shooting the poor dumb things with his AR so he resorted to shooting only left handed head shots. LOL When his barrel got to hot we took turns shooting the hummer and even had to stop a couple of times to let it cool. Ya, the rabbits were that thick.

Before the trip I bought a cattle clicker to count the kills but on the long drive between Douglas and Gillett I started counting road kill rabbits. I would guess it averaged 35 to 40 road kills a mile with the best being 111 if memory serves me.

Thanks again Cal, I really enjoyed my self. I will find a way to get even with you!

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 10:00 AM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
"AR so he resorted to shooting only left handed head shots. "

so how DO you tell if a jack is left handed?

Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 10:17 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
That is only known by true jack rabbit pros. And I'd tell you, but then the info would show up on Jack Masters under a heading by Myron North or Guise and he would claim that he invented the technique. Kind of like Gore and the internet.

Actually, beware of shooting an AR left handed. The hot brass will bounce off of the window frame and go down the neck of your shirt and brand you. And believe me it is friggin hot and will leave a mark. I'm permenantly scarred with a reminder of hunting with Quinton.

--------------------

Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 11:02 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Doggitter, it is obvious that your lack of experience has contributed to your ignorance in the art of rabbit shooting. Cal on the other hand is a full time denner for Campbell Co Wyoming. His experience in denning Lepus townsendii (or Jack Rabbits for the layman) is nearly unsurpassed with his 20 years of field experience. Next year he will have a full 30 years of experience behind him and will be the definitive sores of all things rabbit related.

NOW that you have been enlightened how can you question whether he knows if the rabbit is right or left handed?

Good hunting.

Q,

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 11:33 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Just what does it take to become a master jacker?

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 11:36 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few videos Andy.
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 11:58 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Its upset me for quite some time that some think they are better jackers than the rest of us. I just dont know where the line is drawn between a master jacker and a amatuer jacker. Maybe I will do a google search....

Q, can you recommend some good videos?

--------------------
Andy

Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 12:14 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Your Guess is as good as mine?
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 01:03 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple Andy L.

--------------------

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 05:33 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all in the technique Andy, Q even has a special chair and lights for jacking, and he jacks really fast. You've got to keep an eye on him or he'll burn up his barrel. I'm more deliberate and quite a bit slower, and I have no special chair, but I can do it right or left handed, which not just everybody can do.

--------------------

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 06:04 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard rumors that you Wyoming guys went both ways, I just never wanted to believe it was true!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 06:10 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there you go. I guess you cant out jack a pro jacker. I will just have to be satisfied for now being a lesser jacker. I doubt I will ever be able to jack with either hand, but at least I wont burn my barrel out.

Curious about the lights? How does that aid in jacking?

--------------------
Andy

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 07:04 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me the most important part. What type of sunglasses were you guys wearing?.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 08:21 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't jack like those youngsters anymore since I burned out my barrel. Hell, it takes me a week to reload as it is.

Cal was the consumate host and opened every door (gate) for us. Anytime I can return the favor, you only have to ask.

Speaking of fashion statements, I didn't catch who the sponsor was but that night time camo Q was sporting for the video was the bomb! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 10:17 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are brutal, but FUNNY! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 10:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I get it, the "do rag" and the shades, right?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 10:37 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
All right guys enough is enough I am up to my eyeballs in BS. Now this is a true story. NO KIDDING.

After all the jacking I did that weekend I was wore out as you might well imagine. Well I made it down the road until I was a few miles out of Douglas. At that point I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer so I decided to pull over for a quick power nap. I found a gravel pile just off the main highway so I pulled in. Thinking nothing of it I grabbed my bag out of the back walked around to the shady side of the pickup and stretched out. I was just about dozed completely off when I heard the crunching of gravel under tires so I lifted up my cool dude shades and it was some fella from the rail road. He just smiled and said “Just maken sure you wernt dead” LOL and drove off. I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.

About a half hour later again I here the familiar crunching of gravel under tires so I rolled over to see who it was and this time it was a cop. Before I had time to properly introduce my self he bales out of his rig and says. “Do you know how much trouble you have caused? Let me see your drivers license”

At this point I am still trying to wake up and while I was handing him my CREDIT CARD I assured him I wasn’t drunk, I was just tired. LOL “Sir, this is your credit card,” he said while looking down his nose. Well I figured a sobriety test was sure to fallow and I was hoping Cal had enough cash to bail me out of jail.

Luckily it didn’t come to that. I quickly sobered up while he was running my plates but I was still at a loss as to what the trouble was all about. A few minutes later he crawled out of his car and explained the situation to me.

As it turns out the Converse County Sheriffs office phone was ringing off the hook with people saying they thought they saw a body lying by a Game and Parks truck. I believe the officer said that the only G&Ps rig that matched the description of my pickup was the wardens and no one could find him. A cop was dispatched to investigate and an All Points Bulletin was put out on the warden! Now that is funny.

Fortunately no tickets was issued for impersonating an officer or playing dead but the deputy did mention that Douglas had a lot of nice parks I could rest in. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 04:52 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Q, you got lucky. Around these parts, impersonating an officer, dead or alive, will get you in a sling!! Just be glad you werent still jacking. I dont know about up there but our wardens around here are professional jackers themselves. They would have been upset had you been trying to impersonate a jacking officer, not a dead one....

If you ever get in jail, call me. I think I can be licensed to write bonds there too by faxing in my Mo license. Wonder what the bond is for impersonating a dead officer? [Confused]

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Andy

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters