The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Archery Elk (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Archery Elk
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 03:56 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Been busy around here. I guided 16 successful archery antelope from the first to the 13th, and then got to do a little hunting for myself.

-  -

[ September 17, 2006, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
canine
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 04:02 PM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!!! Nice Bull Cal!!
Congrats on that beast, have you had him scored yet??

Sounds as though you have been very busy, and made alot of people happy with successful Antelope hunts [Smile]

Is it time for hittin the coyotes for ya yet?

JD

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 04:10 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice indeed!!!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
yuccabush
Member # 582

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 04:46 PM      Profile for yuccabush   Email yuccabush         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome trophy. Congrats!
Posts: 67 | From: Bernalillo | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 6 posted September 17, 2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Job Cal!!

Thats huge!!

Have I ever told you I was envious? [Wink]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
JD, rough score in the field is around 360. He will probably net in the high 340's as a guess. He has a few differences in tine lengths and a small drop point that will have to be deducted also.

--------------------

Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 05:26 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Smokers Cal!!!!!! I'm no elkolagist, but that thing looks freak'n huge.

Is there a story with the pics? Man that is nice.

Since i'm not an elker is 340 good?

Todd

Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 05:36 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh mamma, what a lunker! [Eek!] The dogs will be eating well, for a few months. [Big Grin]

You're gonna have to tear out a wall to get that rack into the house! Congrats!

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
canine
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 05:40 PM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great scoring bull. Congrats on keepin it all together and makin the shot!! [Wink]

I am amazed at the number of 400 plus Bulls startin to emerge these days.

JD

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 05:44 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy shit! That is one heckuva bull Cal. How about a the story to go with it?

Have you broke the news to the wife about the new additon to the house?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 05:45 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Truth be told, we had been looking at and chasing around some bigger bulls. But when this guy offered up the opportunity at the right range he was simply too good to pass up. We had been watching one bull that we guesstimated in the 380 range.

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 06:10 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, Cal. I'd love to shoot one like that and even be thrilled to do the mount for one like that. Very impressive.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 06:34 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! Something like that would be enough to lure me away from coyotes for a little while.
Way to be a PAKMAN, Cal.. [Big Grin]

IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 06:53 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Real nice bull Cal.

I was up north AZ chasing a few yesterday. Saw a couple in that class and one possibly a bit bigger but could never get him to leave the middle of the cows for any good scoring. It's just the beginning of the rut and 90% of the bulls are NOT responding. The ones that do seem to be smaller 5 point. The raghorns and big ones don't seem to care yet.

They weren't real vocal until 11:30 and that went on until dark.

Congrats on a fine bull.

[ September 18, 2006, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Weasel
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 07:34 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, that's one heck of a bull by anybodies standards. Now don't let these guys get you down with their "Oh look at the hero shots, self promoting, pimping" comments. No need to guess who I'm talking about. We know how they are. They like to single out successful people and pile on them. You did good. Don't let them get you down. Awesome bull!
IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 07:44 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, edited for me.

[ September 17, 2006, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------

JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 08:13 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice bull...Sounds like a very good season if you can get that many bow hunters on antelope.

[ September 17, 2006, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: JeremyKS ]

Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 08:16 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, a doorag and some shades would have looked nice with that bull ya know..... [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

On a serious note, is that your biggest, Cal? I dont know much about elk at all. Scoring or seeing. I know that I never saw anything close to that the two times I went to CO. The ones I saw had as many points, but were tiny compared to that monster....

Only thing ones I have ever seen that big were in WY. Last December we were chasin a fugitive and were going down I 80. The wind was blowing 60mph or so and it was cold. On the west side of Elk Mountain, there was a herd of elk out of the wind that had to have been 300+ animals. Never seen anything like it. And, at the bottom, walking back toward the herd from a haystack were 4 bulls, walking in a row. They looked to be somewhere roughly in that class. Pretty sight.

[ September 17, 2006, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw a large herd (at least 100) of Tule elk right off 395, south of Big Pine (usual area) and there were a couple nice ones in there, but I don't think they went that big?

Nice bull, Cal. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 08:46 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Real nice job Cal, great shooting. If you need a place to hang the antlers i might have room on one of my walls. LOL

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 09:42 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Bull Cal.Congrats..Makes me wish I were out chasing the Elk around. [Smile] Good Hunting Chad...

[ September 17, 2006, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 06:17 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,
Very nice trophy, VERY nice. Makes me a bit jealous. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 06:49 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Andy, no doo rag and shades for me. I respect the animals I hunt too much to look like an idiot in the pictures I take. And I refuse to give any amount of credibility to someone that I feel doesn't deserve to even be noticed. I figure I do more good by simply ignoring someone that I don't feel deserves any respect, than to make more noise and create publicity of any kind. It's kind of like Hollywood, where wannabe stars figure even bad publicity is better than no publicity.
On the elk, it is my biggest to date, rifle or bow. I'm thrilled to say the least. I've been trying for three years to kill a good bull with my bow. I let a lot of smaller bulls walk, before this happened. I could have shot numerous bulls every year, but held out, and kicked myself for doing so many times. But in the end it finally worked out. Now my next archery goal is a good whitetail. I have killed a couple good muleys, several good antelope, a bear, a lion, some pigs, this elk, and numerous small game animals and furbearers with a bow, and still have several on the list.

Jeremy, we hunt the antelope out of blinds on waterholes, so I can have numerous hunters out every day in different places and it works really well.

[ September 18, 2006, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 07:31 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely awesome! Nuff said.
Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddie
Member # 952

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 07:37 AM      Profile for Freddie           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Taylor, You're living the life most of us only dream of.
Posts: 29 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters