The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Tentcots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tentcots
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 01:56 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
All -

With the campout coming up, I thought I'd let you in on something pretty cool. Discovered these this past year because of some fly fishing buddies.

One member of our club bought a "Tentcot," which is a cot with a small tent built over it. It stands on legs like a normal cot but then has a small tent on top supported by metal tubes that also form the legs. They have zip open screen windows, storage spaces, etc.

Anyhow, he brought it on a weekend outing and now half the club owns them.

Pretty ingenious. I tried one out this past year and am going to pick one up before deer season as I'm determined to get away from the snoring in the trailer!

And before I give ya'll the link, I'll add that I have no vested interest in these things, they are just great contraptions. Originally designed for the military. My recommendation is don't get the smallest unit, go for the "oversized" if you like what you see.

web page Tentcots by Kamp-Rite

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 02:24 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Not only that, the "oversize" is supported under each of the ends, whereas the others are not.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:12 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using one for camping with coyotes in the summer for a couple years. I love mine.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:35 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
I've often wondered just how close coyotes might approach someone sleeping in a Tentcot. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Cal? Higgins?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:50 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
When we were kids, my parents took us on lots of road trips between CA and AL. We never stayed in a motel. Every night we found a spot, about a mile off the road, and pitched a tent.

No Coleman stoves back then, just a wood fire to cook dinner over. There were many nights I can remember coyotes coming into camp, within 50 feet or so. Us kids always saved scraps and bones to throw to them. Lots of memories about those desert nights a half a century ago. [Smile]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 05:54 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. I've had coyotes right in camp, within only a few yards of me on many, many occasions. Once while deer hunting out in the Book Cliffs of Utah, we had three bucks hanging outside the tent just a few feet from our sleeping bags. Had several coyotes right there trying to gnaw on one of those bucks that woke us up with their snarling and quarreling less than 30" from our sleeping heads. More commonly, we have coyotes stop a short distance out of camp to deliver a rant. I've usually sat in bed and howled before going to sleep, the nights that happens. Had one of those this spring, that came in about 3am and stopped about 50 yards from the tent and unleashed the longest, loudest string of insults I've ever heard from a coyote. At first, it was neat. I was howling back at him with my voice doing my best to immitate him and he was getting whipped into a frenzy. But after I got tired of it, and wanted back to sleep, he kept going. And going. Finally, after maybe 15 minutes, I just yelled at him in the loudest most ferocious human voice I could muster at 3:30 in the morning. To my amazement, that coyote just got louder and more threatening sounding! It was kind of neat, but I really DID want back to sleep, so I was more irratated than anything, at that point. He did finally wander off, not long after, finally letting me back sleep.

Uhh... Kind of got off track there, huh? But, anyway, I have slowed way down in recent years, but used to sleep out like that 60 - 70 nights a year for many years. Last few years it's only been about 20 nights. I usually just use a cot, sans tent, in nice weather. Threat of precipitation, or wind, and I put up a small (but extremely sturdy) tent. Coyotes coming into or close to camp is extremely common, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm in a tent, a cot, laying under a tarp on the ground or sleeping in the front seat of my pickup.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 06:23 AM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
That is a neat story DAA.
Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 07:05 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I seldom use a tent down here. Either throw an air mattress on the ground with a sleeping bag or Tyler and I sleep in the back of the Bronco. A double air mattress fits perfectly back there. I've never had coyotes come in close at night. 20-30 yards is all. It's common for them to stand out that far and threathowl at us. Twenty years ago a friend and I were camped near Flagstaff. My friend emptied a bottle of Jack and spent the night snoring and farting so loud that the tent walls rippled. Several coyotes spent a lot of time on the dirt road on one side of the tent ranting at him and three cow elk approached within 25 yards or so on the other side of the tent and spent several minutes doing that short half bugle that the cows do.
I did have a bobcat make a complete circle around my sleeping bag about 4 feet out one night. I didn't move, just watched it. Very cool.

IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 08:14 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, sleeping in a tent or out in the open is always good for hearing some strange noises. I can't count how many times I've been awakened, and in my groggy state wonder what in the hell that sound was!

Before daylight, several years ago while elk hunting. I went out behind the wall tent to take a leak. Snow had just begun to fall. I went back to the tent, slugged down the rest of my coffee, and grabbed my pack and rifle to head out. I walked right past where I had taken a leak a few minutes before except this time I had a flashlight to guide me thru the black timber. Twenty yards further on I noticed tracks in the snow. Lion tracks. When I was standing in the dark taking a piss that cat must have been right there, or dang close. I always wonder how often predator callers and hunters are very close to lions or bobcats and never know they are there.

[ October 02, 2006, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 05:26 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did it. Ordered an "oversized" model today with rainfly and storage pouch.

Sad thing is they're back ordered two weeks.

Gettin' itchy for deer season.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters