The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Muzzleloaders and bows for Coyotes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Muzzleloaders and bows for Coyotes
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 02:47 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Was wondering how many of you have taken coyotes with bows or muzzleloaders, and if so, if you'd care to share the experience.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 04:56 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken a couple of coyotes with my bow. Only one called though. The first one was a target of opportunity while still hunting mule deer. Second one was called, using a Crit'r-call, up on the flank of a mountain in the aspens.

I wrote about it on another board, back when it happened (four, five years ago?). Think I still might have the original write up saved on my other computer, maybe. If so, I'll post it tomorrow. It was a very neat experience, one of real high points of hunting experiences.

One of those deals though, neat as it was, once I'd accomplished it - killed a called coyote with my bow, I haven't even tried again since.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 05:21 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to kill one while deer hunting once. Saw him coming and squeaked him close enough for a shot. Problem was, he was looking for the source then, even though it was about 10 yards. I tried to draw when he wasnt looking and you can guess how that worked. He busted me. Had I not squeaked, he most likely would have presented a 30 or so shot and I may have got it done without him looking.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 06:24 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Do fox count? I killed half a dozen or so one year with a muzzle loader. Dad wouldn't let me carry a centerfire while night hunting, I had tried a shot gun the year before, and the fox quickly learned to hang up at 50 yards.

I scared off a lot more than I killed, and probably lost half of my kill to not being able to find them in the dark.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:06 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
I've killed them with both, but never by plan. Like the others, it is always when I am deer hunting.
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 10:29 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually feel kinda silly posting this here, now. But... Here it is, my original post from the GGVG board back in 2001.

======================

...I put a stalk on what ended up being the biggest buck I saw on the first morning. I watched him browse along the mountainside and bed down under a lone ponderosa amongst an aspen grove about 300 yds up from me. No monster buck, just a decent 3x3, but I'd have gladly tagged him. I let him get settled into his bed and then commenced a stalk. He was facing downhill, towards me, but the morning breeze was in my favor, moving gently from him to me. In about 45 minutes, I belly crawled and back crawled to within 70 yards of him. The terrain dictated that I couldn't flank him, had to try sneaking up on him from straight on, the direction he was looking. A low percentage stalk to be sure, but it's what I had to work with and a lot of fun regardless. I was really stuck there at 70 yards though, didn't look like I was going to get any closer. Then the breeze started to shift, knew that soon the day time uphill breeze would be taking over and it would be all over. So, I gambled on crossing slow across open ground in plain sight. Didn't work.... He busted out of there like his tail was on fire. Oh well!

Decided to move on up the ridge another quarter mile and try calling a coyote. Started off just lip squeaking for about 30 seconds. I'd been stealthy enough I figured a coyote could easily be close enough to hear just lip squeaks and I've always wanted to bring one in with no other call but lip squeaking. After a couple minutes I went ahead and made a series of fawn distress bleats on my Critr call. About a minute later, I noted about half a dozen does boiling out of their beds about 350 yds away and running off. Kind of unusual reaction to the call - does usually stomp and blow and stare, if not come charging right in for that particular sound. So I had a good feeling that a predator coming in to my call had spooked them and I got my bow up in the direction I figured the action would be. Sat there on my knees, bow up and ready for another minute and nothing. So I gave a short series of pup distress cries on the Critr call. No sooner had I set the call down and put my right hand back on my bow string than here comes a coyote trotting out of the low growth 100 yds away and headed straight for me! Looking straight at me too. At my "spot" anyway, I don't think he could actually see me. The bow was already up and pointed in the right direction, the wind was in my favor, all I needed to do was draw. He was within bow range only seconds after first spotting him and although he had slowed down, was showing no signs of stopping. I was hoping he'd stop, look around, get his head behind a bush for a split second, ANYTHING that would give me a chance to draw undetected. Nothing happening! He just kept on a coming. Finally, when he was less than ten yds away, I decided I HAD to draw - if he went past me he'd wind me and it would be over. As soon as I started my draw, he flared off - spun around and start trotting back the way he had come. But he didn't really look all that spooked, just surprised and naturally cautious. As soon as I reached full draw, I gave him a couple lip squeaks. INSTANTLY he did another full 180 and started trotting back my way again. At 15 yds, he stopped and swapped ends a couple of times - he could see me, but couldn't tell what I was. I really wanted him to sit still before I loosed that arrow. But after making a couple of back and forth cirlcles there, he got that look on his face like maybe he ought to be somewhere else, so I aimed for center mass and loosed. Distinctly heard a major bone snapping and his reaction also told me that I had a hit for sure. He spun and headed down the mountain through the aspen, snarling and growling like crazy. I watched him until he disapeared from sight about 200 yds. away. Turns out that he only went maybe another 20 yds after I lost sight of him. The bone snapping I'd heard was BOTH femur's being broken by the arrow. Both back wheels gone and leaving a good blood trail, collecting him was pretty easy.

Not the first coyote I've killed with my bow, but the first one I've intentionally called in and killed with my bow. I have to rank this as being one of my most exciting and memorable hunting experiences EVER! I mean I was STOKED when I knew I'd made the kill. Way more exciting than any ole freezer buck!

- DAA

===================

And the pic...

-

- DAA

Edited to fix image

[ October 02, 2006, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: DAA ]

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 01:28 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA
Thats an incredible story thank you for finding it an reposting it here great pic as well.
Paul

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 01:56 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
That settles it then! I've just gotten a new goal for myself this season. Thanks Dave. Sounds like quite a thrill. [Smile]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 02:36 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken 4 coyotes with the pointed sticks. One while still hunting elk & three while calling. Tough to do to the nth degree. Too much movement at close range.

Ironicly, I bought a recurve just for coyotes because I was mostly getting close running shots. The kind of shot that favored the recurve's fast instinctive style. I tagged a couple of deer & a javelina with that 'curve but never did get a coyote with it. All of my coyotes fell to my compound bow. Go figure.

I've taken more than my share of critters & tournament tin tokens but it's those 4 coyotes that I consider to be trophys.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7587 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 6 posted October 02, 2006 03:40 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the story Dave. That was good.

Ive taken 6 turkeys with my bow. They are quite a challenge too. Whether called or off a deer stand, they are pretty tough to get drawed on. Actually, my biggest bird to date was with a bow. A 26 1/2lb brute with a beard just under 14" and, the most impressive feature in my book, 1 3/4" spurs. His head looked like a softball he was so damned big.

I know thats off topic, but its still pretty cool with a bow....

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 04:53 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken 6 coyotes with my compound, 5 called and one by chance while deer hunting. 3 of the hunts are on video, (although the "impact" didn't get captured on one fleeing coyote that I arrowed right up the "dark hole",) for all to see, if ya ever happen to get a chance to watch the latest Verminator video, that would be easier then telling a bunch of storys here. My "best" shot didn't get captured on video, cameraman goofed!! On that hunt, I was doing the calling, had another shooter down wind about 50 yards from me and the videographer was behind me about 10 yards. We were set up on a hillside over looking a large dry flat creek bed with yucca being the tallest cover. The spot has been very productive over the years. SO, I spot the coyote coming from directly infront, but swinging to the downwind. All looks good, he is heading directly for the designated shooter. As he is nearing, I do a lip squeek to draw his attention back to me, to give the shooter a chance to draw, BUT of course the coyote changes course and is now coming directly to me. I have my bow in hand, BUT it's not in the upright/ready position, so I'm stuck, and at about 30 yards, the coyote catches my wind and turns to retreat and I quickly come to full draw and begin mouth barking. The coyote stops broadside to me, I quickly judge/guess distance and let fly. I nailed him, a little back it looked, BUT we all watched him pile up about 100 yards later. I got right back on the call, thinking this spot could produce another, as it has before. About 3 or 4 minutes later, the video guy whispers that he "didn't get the shot". I sat quietly for a moment, then he says it again!! I turn around and question him, and he whispers that he didn't capture the shot!! There was a slight dip that the coyote went through as he neared us, and the camera lost focus on the coyote, and so the camaraman stopped recording all together to let the camara re-focus!! That's was his excuse anyways!! [Roll Eyes]
The shot ended up being right at 60 yards!! [Eek!]
As was said earlier, killing an unsuspecting coyote with a bow is one feat, BUT killing a called coyote is a whole nother ball game!!

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 06:02 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA, Good storie! I enjoyed it, Thanks!

I have taken a couple called coyotes with a bow and a few with a bow while deer hunting. And some fox as well. If I am going to try and call coyotes to the bow, I agree a longbow or recurve seems to be better.

As for the Black Powder! Thats my favorite! I have a Black power shotgun I love to hunt with, fox, turkeys, coyotes, its alo of fun. Even with screw in chokes they still need to be close.

We just about got JD on last year with the blackpowder shotgun, close, but just couldnt get the shot off, but we did get all of it on film.

Black powder shotgun at night calling grey fox is a blast!

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
REM223PA
Member # 332

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 06:00 AM      Profile for REM223PA   Email REM223PA         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never taken a yote yet with my bow. I have taken lots of white tail and many other big game with my bow but i just can get myself to take my bow out and if i don't take it i can't use it
Now bobcats out of a high rack i have done with my bow a couple times. i find it nuts just how close a cat will get to a 7,000lb truck at night down south

But this may be the year of the bow for predators for me.

--------------------
George W Ackley

Posts: 13 | From: PHILADELPHIA PA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 07:51 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Got to watch "Bowmania"! Some great shots in there. TR's in a couple of those scenes, too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters