The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » New coyote rifle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New coyote rifle
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 07:01 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a new coyote slammer ready to go today.

This will sound unconventional to most, but 90% of my hunting is in heavy brush and most of my kills within 30 yards.

I got a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington from a friend this year, originally topped with a Lyman peep. Shot the gun a few times and although I couldn't hit a damned thing with the peep, the gun shoots sweet, swings great and tucks wonderfully. Not much kick and the two of us both were both born in 1961.

So, I'm ditching the Lyman and topping her with a Leupy 2-7x VXII. A new south Texas coyote brush gun is born. Plan on feeding her 200 grain ballastic tip Hornady Lever Revolutionaries.

Why on earth a .35 Rem? Fur plays no part in taking coyotes in south Texas and my shots are pretty tight and close in. I'm thinking she'll do a great job.

Thoughts?

[ October 07, 2006, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: The Outdoor Tripp ]

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 07:58 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of base will that peep sight fit on? I love 'em.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 08:07 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

The Lyman 57-A just screwed right into the top of the rifle. No base, just peep site going into factory drilled hole(s) as far as I remember.

It's at the smith getting the scope-for-peep swap and a trigger job -- when I get it back I'll let you know proof positive.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters