The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » More camp-out pic's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More camp-out pic's
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 06:59 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
 - http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/IMG_0150.jpg[/IMG]]  -

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 07:09 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pics. Any story on the Diamondback?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 10:00 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I was out hunting with Rich H. and Randy Shaw and i was looking for coyote scat, as i turned the corner i spotted snake on road. Rich was nice enough to distract the snake while i took some pic's. I think it had 8 or nine rattles. After pic's we let it go on its merry way.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 06:09 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
That one was in it's hiding mode. They will flatten their bodies and remain still as you approach, I suppose in an effort to pass as a stick or branch, until you almost step on them. Then they snap back into an S and light up the tail. I had one strike the bottom of my boot while dove hunting a few years ago. As I walked back to the truck to get more shells a stick in the cow path jerked into an S as my left boot was stepping down. I left the the foot up there and jumped off with my right and the snake hit the sole of the left boot. Normally I leave them alone. That snake's skin is hanging in my gun cabinet.
IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 08:10 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
It has always been my understanding that snakes flatten out like that to increase their surface exposure area for faster thermal radiation absorption. A cold snake is a vulnerable snake.

If you are familiar with chuckawallas, you will see them flattened out on rocks in the early morning sun, for the very same reason.

[ October 31, 2006, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 08:33 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
...and all this time I thought they were just road killed and flat!!!

Funny Tom, when I was told the same story by Rich, I mentioned the same thing about trying to get a wider area of its body warm. I felt like a child attempting to chastise an adult. I mentioned it anyway and I either got ignored or Rich was in another world or was listening with his gunshot ears. Sometimes guys in his back seat have to say things 2-3 times before they get a response. [Wink]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 31, 2006 08:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, right

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 09:32 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I've raised a lot of snakes. In the winter I put a "hot rock" in the cage to keep their body temp up, otherwise, they will brumate. The hot rock and heat lamp are on a timer. Boas, pythons, and other colubrids will crawl onto the rock and flatten themselves out to absorb as much heat as possible when the timer turns it on.

A cold snake will not eat because their digestive process requires a minimum temperature of 75 degrees to function properly. Undigested food in a cold reptiles tract will eventually toxify and kill it.

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 10:31 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
You are both right, Tom and Danny. However, I've seen snakes flatten out as I approach and can only assume that they are reducing their profile for a reason other than heat absorption. When they get ready to fight or flee they puff back up immediately. This one watched us drive right up to it and watched me walk up to it and it made no move until I tweaked it a little, and then there was nothing sluggish about it.
I'm still betting that the flat profile serves at least dual purposes.

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 12:26 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I've encountered many sleeping pit vipers flattened out on trails and roads. Most all were unaware of my approach. The ones that saw me approaching started backing away when I was within 6-8 feet. When the sleepers are awakened, their first response is to retreat. If restrained, they strike.
stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 03:33 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that the snake that was in the road when we all left sunday. I seen one with a hole in the head..

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we saw it too. I missed the bullet hole but Rich said it was a rattlesnake with most of the tail missing.

Besides the diamond back (western, I think), what other rattlesnakes do you'll have in AZ?

Now Steven!!! Rich & Tim said they poked a little then let that scaly critter go free. [Wink]

[ October 31, 2006, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 06:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen one that is a salmon color, maybe beige, and it is what I would call a Pacific rattlesnake, but I have seen them in Arizona and California. The other one is the Mojave green ...and sidewinders of course.

Good huting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 06:26 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Those little nasty Mojave bastards make me nervous. Well, all snakes do actually. Dr Tommy T. told me they had both venoms and were bad to the bone. Between them and the tarantulas runnin around, I was a nervous wreck in McNeal last year.....

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ray E
Member # 996

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2006 10:23 PM      Profile for Ray E   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The tarantulas don't hurt anyone they are just looking for a bug or two and trying to steer clear of the tarantula wasp... The Green Mojave on the other hand has a nasty attitude and doesn't like much of anything most rattlesnakes are primarily defensive the Green Mojave is aggressive!!
But to answer the question there are 17
Western Diamondback, /Greenback Mohave, /Arizona Blacktail, /Speckled, /Tiger, /Grand Canyon /Twin-Spotted /Ridgenose /Rock Rattlesnake/Massasauga, /Prairie, /Arizona Black /Great Basin /Hopi /Colorado Sidewinder/Sonoran Sidewinder/Desert Sidewinder

oh by the way, I don't have them memorized, I looked 'em up [Big Grin]

[ October 31, 2006, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Ray E ]

--------------------
Ray

Posts: 11 | From: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 05:20 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember exactly, but we have rattlesnakes with 2 different types of venom.
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 05:45 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Loco,

We have two kinds. Big one's and little one's.

Some are brown, some are green, and they all bite!

The coolest thing about them is that popping sound they make when you run them over! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddie
Member # 952

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2006 07:00 PM      Profile for Freddie           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, fellas, and to top that off we have black widows, brown recluse spiders, an assortment of scorpions, etc. Not to mention, every "bush" and cactus down here wants to poke a hole in you and don't even try to kick a cholla out of the trail or it will stick right through your boot. Hey, but we've got coyotes! and I love it! Freddie

[ November 01, 2006, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Freddie ]

Posts: 29 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters