The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Magic Light

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magic Light
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2006 09:27 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic Light

Special times they are, sunrise and sunset. Born of warm rays, defining shadows and dazzling color, they are the romantic’s "occasions for reflection," the photographer’s "magic light," and my one-way ticket to the loony bin.

With four-leggeds most active then, you’d think I’d welcome this magic light, but sunrise and sunset and I just don’t seem to get along. I’m perfectly happy sitting hours in a blind minding my own business, content seeing nothing, when bingo! One of these jokers shows, the phantom shooting arcade of the damned throws open its doors, and instantly I’m transformed into a bug-eyed, bobble-headed Elmer Fudd, complete with itchy trigger finger.

Light low and shadows long, every weed, cactus, tree and twig springs to life, imitating something I’m saving wall space for and taunting me to take a closer look. Shadows come alive as deer of all shapes and sizes, six-legged coyotes, and the occasional polar bear stalk my sanity – every dark spot a giant hog, every bush a trophy rack.

I know nothing’s there; I just can’t help it. What hunter lets even a remote possibility go-unchecked? One unfamiliar shape, one unrecognized shadow, and up go the binoculars to find… nothing. Powerball probably has better odds. Problem is I don’t buy tickets. Go figure.

Last weekend Sasquatch took The Cat in the Hat in a game of Texas Hold ‘Em next to my feeder… ten minutes before dark. Moments later the loppers and I were on it like bulldogs on a pork chop, whacking anything capable of casting half a shadow. Those two show again and my feeder will hang in barren wasteland.

I ran into my eye doctor, also a hunter, a few months ago and broached the subject. "All hunters are affected somewhat by this phenomenon," he said. "It’s only natural given low light and the fact we’re anxious to shoot something. Those with overactive imaginations could be affected more I suppose. Know anyone like that?"

"Nope, sure don’t," I replied. "Can anything be done for it?"

"Sure. Have your eyes checked, get new glasses, Lasik surgery, eat nothing but carrots, marry a psychiatrist."

"Does magic light ever bother you Doc?"

"It used to until I got on a $10,000 lease and picked up a $1000 scope and a $2000 pair of binoculars. Hasn’t bothered me since."

"So, good optics are the answer?"

"No, it’s the lease. Damned thing’s so good there actually is a trophy buck in every shadow. I still deal with magic light – it just doesn’t bother me anymore."

I had no response.

Over the years I’ve outgrown unrealistic expectations, become a pretty good shot, and worked hard to control buck fever. Now, to keep old magic light from loosening my screws, I’ve come up with a plan:

First, I’ll lose my excitement, give up hope, and ignore shadows and what-ifs. If that doesn’t work I’ll only hunt only at noon. If that fails, I’ll attend medical school.

Or, maybe I should just be content to sit back and enjoy the show – at least I’m seeing things. It’s not every day you come across a South Texas polar bear or a six-legged coyote. Besides, if I could afford medical school I’d already be on that $10,000 lease.

Does the loony bin allow guns?

Tripp Holmgrain is an avid outdoorsman who has seen the light. Email him at tripp@theoutdoortripp.com.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 06:01 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I understand completely.
When I sit down on stand, I scan everything in front of me for coyote shapes so that I don't get that adrenaline shot as I call and scan past a "false" image. Then the sun rises a little and the shadows and shapes change and I get that little adrenaline bump as I scan past all the new shapes that weren't there before.
A big buck lease won't help.

IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 06:36 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Its funny you post this. I was chuckling about this last weekend. I had been watching a field for three hours for deer. The sun started going down and it seemed I was checking stuff with my scope every couple of minutes. Stuff that just wasnt there a few minutes ago. LOL

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 03:43 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about perfect timing. I just came back from checking a pig pipe I had put out behind the house. Very overcast. I swore there was a 250 pound bore standing over the pipe. Dug out the binos and it was a root ball of a Oak tree. One of Rita's victims.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 05:30 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic light gets me every time I go out. Nothing seems to work. But as I've said before... at least I'm seeing something!

Good to know I have company.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cowboyvon
Member # 854

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 07:06 AM      Profile for Cowboyvon   Author's Homepage   Email Cowboyvon         Edit/Delete Post 
That was great..

I still remember the first time I went deer hunting with my Father. I was 11 years old and we were riding in. I had never been before and had no Idea what it would be like. We rode out of camp before daylight and topped over a little rise right when the sun was rising. Out in the middle of the meadow was a deer, with antlers bedded down, or least thats what the magic light showed me. Dad told me several times that it was just a log. That log is still there 35 years later and early in the morning it still looks like a buck.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtVDfG3GPTm8FbNY0Bb-oBA

Posts: 23 | From: Rincon NM | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Like you said, Every hunter must look at such things twice. Sometimes magic light makes a real coyote appear to be just a fence post. If you you don't look at that fence post again, sometimes the fence posts will walk away!

I remember once staring at the fire up at elk camp when the hot coals suddenly became a splitting image of John Lennon with short hair and spectacles. Whoa! That was mega majik man!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 06:40 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what must make Danny launch into his legendary campfire dances I've heard so much about. He hallucinates the images of dead rock legends in the coals. It may have been mega majik, man, but I suspect it might have been a combination of something else that starts with an "M" and an errant breeze. Did that campfire story involve lotsa Cheetohs?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters