The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » How many coyotes? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How many coyotes?
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 05:25 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
First, let me say I don't judge a caller by the number of predators he or she has taken and don't intend to. There certainly is more to life than numbers.

That said:

Although numbers don't always tell the story, they are often impressive and interesting to know. I thought it might be interesting to hear how many years each of us has been calling and how many coyotes we've shot. (Close guess will do).

I've been calling 14 years and have taken about 300.

How about the rest of you pampass know-it-alls?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 06:03 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just out of curiosity, Any young folks not get my joke?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 07:08 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I started callin' in '86. I have no idea how many I have called in, shot at, killed, or missed! I guess a rough average per year might be 30! Now you just have to figure out if that is called in, shot at, killed, or missed! [Big Grin] I have no clue! [Razz]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 07:08 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
need more calgon This is my 8th season calling have killed 228
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
John
Member # 52

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2006 05:28 PM      Profile for John   Email John         Edit/Delete Post 
Wally and I averaged 75 coyote per season for the past 27 years.
Wally's wornout one 25-06, and I'm on my third hi-power. I miss a lot more than Wally does. [Roll Eyes]

John

--------------------
John.

Posts: 14 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2006 07:00 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, Cal, Lance, Higgins?

We're waiting for the big boys to weigh in.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2006 10:03 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you didn't ask me? I've been calling since 1964. I've probably killed between 1,500 and 0, depends on whos asking. [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2006 10:32 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny,

I wasn't born until the fall of '64, so I hope you understand that I have taken fewer coyotes than you.

But I bet you haven't enjoyed your time in the field any more than me!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 08:31 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, ain't that what it's all about [Wink] As the old saying goes..You're only here one time. [Smile]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 09:06 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I got my hands on a Rem 722 in 222 Rem in 1954 at the age of 12. I started calling coyotes the same day. How many? who knows. I kinda think it was a lot though.
IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 09:15 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm like Dan,I kept track the first few years but then I got lazy or just didn't think about it that much after a while.But I guess it's been quite a few.Good Hunting Chad
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 09:34 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
To be perfectly honest, I have no idea how many coyotes I have taken during all of these years. I am certain that my tally would be much less than the callers who are lucky enough to live in the south-west. By best stand was three coyotes called and three killed. I drove north to other side of the river where I called two more and killed em both. The sun had not yet cleared the hill top to my east, and there I was with five dead coyotes. I only killed one more that day, which gave me a total of six. That was my best day ever. My best morning here locally, I called and killed two coyotes on my first stand and one on the next stand also. I almost always hunt alone. I have taken a pardner along a few times but those times are pretty rare. Sometimes I feel that I would have made a good hermit.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty much in line with Rich. I average about 30 a year or so, give or take. The times I've hunted in more target rich areas like NE and CO have convinced me that my numbers would be much better if I lived in an area with more coyotes and better calling situations (fewer trees). Having had several people I consider to be icons in the industry attempt to call this area and go home bested only reinforces my thoughts on that. I no longer complain about my tougher-than-usual conditions as they have prepared me and made me better so that when I have been privileged to go west, I feel I have been better able to adapt to the different conditions I find there.

Having said that, I must say that making a blanket inquiry like this on an open forum fails to acknowledge the fact that many readers won't take into consideration where the respondent is calling coyotes at and the challenges he or she faces specific to that locale. In the end, someone that calls five coyotes a year pales in comparison to someone that puts up 25, even thought the former is in the East and the latter might be in eastern CO. False conclusions are drawn and there is no way to remedy that short of treating every reader to the first-hand experience required to fully understand and appreciate different areas and different circumstances. IMO, that is one of the biggest frustrations of reading most predator hunting boards. Neophytes read about all the double digit body counts and watch all the DVD's and become frustrated at their own lack of success when what they have failed to consider is that many of those people are either living in TX and AZ or are greatly embellishing their abilities.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 10:07 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 10:23 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog911 pretty much hit the nail on the head.
For me the total take goes up and down from year to year. it mostly depends on how many hunting trips i make west. The areas i call have been under alot of pressure in the last five years and the coyotes that i have to work with have played the game a few times. I don't call in to many young ones, mostly old males.. I would have to say my take falls somewhere between 30-50 coyotes a year. When the fox population was high my take of fox would also fall into the same area of 30-50 a year..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 12:44 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, I'll believe just about anything, but the .5 has got to go. No way to kill 1/2 a coyote [Wink] . Although the coyote I shot for little dog at the World hunt was only about 1/3 size it was still a whole coyote. As for my total, I have no clue, but I'm pretty sure it's over 10. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 03:27 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for my total, I have no clue, but I'm pretty sure it's over 10.
Cal, I don`t think he wants to know how many you`ve shot TODAY, I think he means since you began shooting them. [Big Grin]

C`mon Andy, you`re just being modest, tell us the real number.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 03:40 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I split one with Loco at the campout. We fired at exactly the same time. Hence, .5 [Big Grin]

Thats my numbers and Im stickin to em. [Razz]

--------------------
Andy

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 04:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In light of that tidbit, I might have to revise my lifetime total by a few 50% or so?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 04:54 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
2200 called in and just 1 tail!! Man im a bad shot...

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 05:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve if you was as old as, lets say leonard. i mite believe that. LOL

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 5 posted December 05, 2006 05:12 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to remember, that Andy thought those Mushrooms that John Henry had in the aquarium, would be good on a pizza.

Poor boy may never be right again! [Frown]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 05:32 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, I like the lickin toad better....

--------------------
Andy

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 06:45 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
To hell with shrooms & lickin toads.....have ya`ll ever tasted the brown likker them boys in MO. make? I have & I can say for sure that I`ll never be the same!! [Smile]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2006 03:27 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
I called in and killed my first Coyote at age 14,that was 36 years ago,and been after them ever since......
Up until 4 years ago,hunting Coyotes took the back seat behind bird hunting,'tho I always brought a call along with some buckshot.A typical day would begin by making a stand or two before switching chambers over to birdshot.Seems I called in more Cats than Coyotes in most of the country I hunted birds.Separate trips where made just for Coyotes too.
Beginning four seasons ago,after a chain of events,I dropped the birding and focused totally on Coyotes.
Killed 277 in the last 3 seasons combined.
This season alone,I've killed 107 as of this weekend.
100% day stands,hunting solo,and with mouth calls I might add.
I started keeping a detailed record of kills, beginning four years ago.
Merry Christmas,Sparky

Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters