The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » EMG (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: EMG
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 9 posted December 06, 2006 07:50 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you fellers ever had a procedure called EMG done? In the last five years, Ive been poked and prodded over and over again with my back. Besides the back surgery, I have had 9 epidural injections in my spinal canal, two spinal taps, a myelogram (which really sucks)and several other nasty tests. Not to mention the two discs that were removed and fused with loads of hardware.

Now Im having trouble with my hands. Losing grip and lots of pain. I went to the doc today and they are going to do an EMG. Never heard of it but it doesnt sound like fun. He said they are going to put needles in my fingers and run electricity thru them for 30-60 minutes. This has me nervous.

Someone please say its not that bad.

[Eek!] [Frown]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted December 06, 2006 09:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of it. You will soon lose ALL feeling in your hands.

Did you masturbate frequently, as a youngster?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 10:04 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt any more than you did LB...

--------------------
Andy

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 10:15 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about it Andy.

I do hope all goes well for you. I hate to hear of anybody who loves the outdoors being slowed up by a health problem.

Good luck

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 10:21 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, Leonard thats funny right there..LOL
Andy you look like a strong fellow, you shoud'nt have any problems with the needle's in you fingers. I think the cause of youre problem is you are holding on to tight..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 10:25 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Ive had one of those test Andy,at least I think it was that particular one?
Mine was conducted to determine if I indeed had CTS, carpal tunnel syndrome. Simple test, only very mildly uncomfortable, if your skitish about getting pulses of electrical current ran thru your arm and hands, but no big deal.
They paste leads to your arm and hand, zap you a dozen or two times,and a machine measure the time it take for the messages to register,adn make your fingers or hand twitch.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 04:25 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Vic, I believe thats it. He said it would check for CTS, among other things. Im glad to hear you say its not that bad.

You know, out of all the poking and prodding, it didnt bother me that much. But this is the first time they have mentioned shocking me. I dont like that and for some reason it scares the hell out of me.

I knew out of all the old farts on this board, someone else had to have had this done. [Big Grin]

Thanks Vic, in all seriousness.

--------------------
Andy

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 05:19 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lonny.

Hey Vic, did it turn out you had CTS? If so, did it get better? What did they do? What were your symptoms?

The backs of my hands, between my wrists and knuckles, hurt. Burn deep. Mostly my left hand, but both at times. Some pain in my left hand goes down into my fingers at times and sometimes up to my elbow. But mainly just the backs of my hands. Really hurts if I push to stand up, flatten them out or if they get squeezed somehow. Not all the time, but at times I completely lose grip. Like my brain tells my hand what to do and everything feels normal, but my hand wont respond.

Anything like that sound familiar?

Thanks Dr. Vic. [Wink]

Edit: Doc pointed something out yesterday that I hadnt noticed. I have calouses on my left hand but not my right. I drive so much, and I always drive left handed, hand resting on top of the wheel. He said that puts pressure on the point where my wrist meets my palm and could be the cause of CTS. I dont know about the right one, but like I said, the left is worse.

Thought that was interesting.

LB, if I lose all feeling in my hands, then it would be like a stranger doing it after that? I could see the benifits. [Big Grin]

[ December 07, 2006, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 08:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, I sure hope you appreciate the humor?

Seriously, I have experienced that zapping for some reason, knitting a bone or something? (don't remember why, right now?) It just feels weird and is localized. But, your problem could be arthritic as well as sensory dendrite nerve deterioration?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

varmit hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 08:23 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy. I have had about twenty of then done from head to toe. They even stick the needles in my arm pit, neck and scrotum. It is no big deal. The needles are tiny and the electrical current is very low. Not much difference in making a stand down hear when the mosquitoes are really bad.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 10:08 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, I can thirdify that it is no big deal.

The worst part of mine was that it was a morning procedure. I had just enough time to down 3 big cups of coffee and then get to the doctor. One quick leak at the bathroom was not nearly enough.

Go easy on the liquids before hand! [Wink]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 10:08 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

My wife recently had one done to rule out physiological nerve damage after a car accident. The needle is very small (long but small bore). It is inserted and "fished" around to capture the nerve then the wave form of the current is seen on a monitor, like an EKG for nerves. By doing this, the doctor was able to specifically identify which nerves needed blocked and has been a big help in her getting better. Afterwards, the nerves were all a bit perturbed and she had some pain, but she's in a lot of pain anyway. Good luck and I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't like they're going to defibrillate you or something.

[ December 07, 2006, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 10:13 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, maybe I had an EKG, KGB, CIA, FBI, whatever. I'm not sure but it did involve needles and electricity. It was to determine if I had a pinched nerve in my back.

Which was it Dr. CDog?

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 01:17 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Why, Nurse Loco, that was probably the EMG. I believe it stands for electromyelogram, or something like that. You sure it wasn't an ENEMA?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Buffalobob
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 02:41 PM      Profile for Buffalobob   Email Buffalobob         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the procedure for running electricity through the fingers, toes and sensitive body parts was developed in Germany around 1944. If your doctor resembles this guy I think I would start worrying.

-

Posts: 90 | From: Potomac River | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 04:40 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

Let me save you a hell of a co-pay with a home remedy test.

Go out to the breaker box and remove the breaker cover.

The breakers will be black and run down the center, and will range in size from 10-100.

Just stick your thumb on the silver bar on the side of your panel with all of the white wires, and touch your little finger to one of the screws with a black wire.

Find out the highest number of breaker that you can trip before cussing, then report that number to the Doctor. It should save you the cost of a long and drawn out test.

The best way to avoid these tests that I've found, is never to mention an ailment in front of the wife.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frank
CAN START A FIRE WITH A BUCK KNIFE AND A ROCK
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 06:21 PM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Electromyography

Alternative names

EMG; Myogram
Definition

Electromyography is a test that assesses the health of the muscles and the nerves controlling the muscles.

How the test is performed

For an EMG, a needle electrode is inserted through the skin into the muscle. The electrical activity detected by this electrode is displayed on an oscilloscope, and may be heard through a speaker.

After placement of the electrodes, you may be asked to contract the muscle (for example, by bending your arm). The presence, size, and shape of the wave form -- the action potential -- produced on the oscilloscope provide information about the ability of the muscle to respond when the nerves are stimulated.

A nerve conduction velocity test is usually performed in conjunction with an EMG.

How to prepare for the test

No special preparation is usually necessary. To ensure accurate readings, avoid using any creams or lotions on the day of the test.

Infants and children:

The preparation you can provide for this test depends on your child's age, previous experiences, and level of trust. For general information regarding how you can prepare your child, see the following topics:

Infant test or procedure preparation (birth to 1 year)
Toddler test or procedure preparation (1 to 3 years)
Preschooler test or procedure preparation (3 to 6 years)
Schoolage test or procedure preparation (6 to 12 years)
Adolescent test or procedure preparation (12 to 18 years)
How the test will feel

There may be some discomfort with insertion of the electrodes (similar to an intramuscular injection). Afterward, the muscle may feel tender or bruised for a few days.

Why the test is performed

EMG is most often used when people have symptoms of weakness and examination shows impaired muscle strength. It can help to differentiate primary muscle conditions from muscle weakness caused by neurologic disorders.

Normal Values Return to top

Muscle tissue is normally electrically silent at rest. Once the insertion activity (caused by the trauma of needle insertion) quiets down, there should be no action potential on the oscilloscope. When the muscle is voluntarily contracted, action potentials begin to appear. As contraction is increased, more and more muscle fibers produce action potentials until a disorderly group of action potentials of varying rates and amplitudes (complete recruitment and interference pattern) appears with full contraction.

What abnormal results mean

Disorders or conditions that cause abnormal results include the following:

Polymyositis
Denervation (reduced nervous stimulation)
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
Myopathy (muscle degeneration, may be caused by a number of disorders, including muscular dystrophy)
Myasthenia gravis
Alcoholic neuropathy
Axillary nerve dysfunction
Becker's muscular dystrophy
Brachial plexopathy
Cervical spondylosis
Common peroneal nerve dysfunction
Dermatomyositis
Distal median nerve dysfunction
Duchenne muscular dystrophy
Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy (Landouzy-Dejerine)
Familial periodic paralysis
Femoral nerve dysfunction
Friedreich's ataxia
Guillain-Barre
Lambert-Eaton Syndrome
Mononeuritis multiplex
Mononeuropathy
Peripheral neuropathy
Radial nerve dysfunction
Sciatic nerve dysfunction
Sensorimotor polyneuropathy
Shy-Drager syndrome
Thyrotoxic periodic paralysis
Tibial nerve dysfunction
Ulnar nerve dysfunction
What the risks are

Bleeding (minimal)
Infection at the electrode sites (minimal risk)

--------------------
"Truth is no prostitute, that throws herself away upon those who do not desire her; she is rather so coy a beauty that he who sacrifices everything to her cannot even then be sure of her favor".

Posts: 644 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 06:38 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
What Frank said.

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 06:45 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa....I didn't have the needle treatment, just those sticky pads,with wires from the machine. It must have been the nerve velocity test I had?
Yes Andy, I had CTS, in right hand,oddly enough, Im left handed.but it manifested itself in my right hand? My symptoms were classic, pain at base of thumb,in that meaty part near wrist, index and middle finger going to sleep at night, tingling sensation...very irratating.
Had the surgery maybe three months ago,all is fine. Due to the type of internal scarring, there is some pain associated when pressure is applied to the area where the incision was made and the carpal sheath was severed, but all in all much better.
I too have that pain in the back of the wrist, but not back of hand,just right in the middle of the back fo the wrist. The doc tapped on underside of my wrist for the initail CTS test,and I told him, no pain or zap there, but to tap on the top side of wrist hurt like a sonofabitch....he aid that was most laikely an arthritic condition?
Good luck buddy, if indeed it's CTS, they can fix you right up!

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 07:03 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good luck buddy, if indeed it's CTS, they can fix you right up!
...and if not, Dr. Vic probably can!!! [Wink]

--------------------

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 05:20 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replys fellers. Ill get to them shortly. I left yesterday morning at 10am for Dayton OH. Picked up a skip and just walked in the door. I gotta have some sleep.

I do appreciate the hell out of the help with this fellers. Thanks.

--------------------
Andy

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 08:22 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy; No problem......that's what we're here for. Plus, we find out that not only does BuffBob have a sense of humor, he seems to know my dentist.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Whew, I feel better. I was whupped while ago...

LB,
Yeah, I appreciate the humor. You should know that. LOL Thats why I kinda got excited about my hand feeling like a stranger. [Big Grin]

Ronnie,
I figured if anyone had, you would have had this done. Im sure sorry to hear that. I dont understand alot of what you are enduring, but do know that it is living hell. Im so sorry to hear that. You seem like one fine fella to me. Rich Higgins thinks the world of you and that speaks volumes as well. I pray you get better and dont have all that pain. I also admire the hell out of you for going thru all you do and hunt and shoot the way you do. You are an inspiration to all.

Loco,
Thanks for the third and fourthifications. [Big Grin] Yeah, I know hes checking for nerve damage.

Lance,
Thanks. I sure hope your wife gets better too. I didnt know, must have missed it, she was having problems? Yeah, doc said this was to locate the source of the problem specifically and it wouldnt be the same as locating the problems my lower back is causing.

Bob,
Thats funny, even for a demorat. [Big Grin] Thanks.

Tim,
I believe I have tried that remedy before. You might be related to the agent that went with me last night to Ohio. He was having to drive alot as I have a hard time holding the wheel for long amounts of time right now and was telling him about this test. He offered to do it with my Taser gun. Of course, when he had hemmroid problems a few years back, I offered to fix em with a hot stove poker.... [Big Grin]

I dont say alot to my wife or anyone else about this stuff. Doc also mentioned yesterday that I must be hurting. I dont come in until its unbearable. Usually too late for easy cures on everything.

Frank,
Thanks. I did several searches myself and read that. I have found alot of times that asking friends that have had it done will get you alot closer than some docs writings that has never had it done. Make sense? Thanks for looking it up all the same. Appreciated.

Vic,
Thanks alot. Im glad to hear your better and there is hope if that is what it is. He thinks its probably CTS or nerve damage from another damned disc in my back. Probably neck. I guess thats what the test is for. The shocking part is what bothers me most. I hate being shocked. But it sounds like this wont be too bad. Not nearly as bad and being strapped to a table, stood on your head, a needle stuck in your spinal canal and dye injected. Yuck!!

Kokopelli,
Thanks. This is a great bunch of guys. No doubt about that. Speaking of dentists, I got more bad news yesterday. My wife went to the dentist and he found a lump in her breast. I dont know where thats going to lead. Bastard. [Big Grin] Just kidding of course.

Thanks a million to all of you. It doesnt sound like this will be too bad. I gotta get it fixed. I can limp around and kinda make it draggin a leg. But I gotta have hands. I just hope its something that can be fixed with relative ease.

Now I gotta get off here. Typing isnt helping alot.

Thanks again. Your a great bunch. [Cool]

--------------------
Andy

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mess around, to get the most accurate test results, ask for the full monty where they connect the needles to the scrotum and the bridge of your nose. It makes them Arabs more talkative than waterboarding, even before applying current.

Good luck, Andy.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

claimbuster
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 03:42 PM      Profile for claimbuster   Email claimbuster         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Andy. Usually these things all have a way of working out for the best.

Now for the rest of you guys, electric enemas, needles to the scrotum....you all need to get outside and get some exercise.

--------------------
"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation."

Posts: 70 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters