The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Which caller is best for me? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Which caller is best for me?
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 07:37 AM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides hand calls I've hunted pretty much exclusively with a JS-512, first by itself and then with the remote. Am still using it today.

I'm now thinking about getting something new. Would like something lighter, must have remote, good volume and be rugged. Don't know that I need hundreds of sounds -- I don't see needing more than a dozen or two at the most.

95% of my calling is done in South Texas brush country. Call coyotes and bobcats almost exclusively.

What do you guys recommend?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 07:43 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I use hand calls 90% of the time, but I got the older 416 Foxpro - 16 sounds, 15 sec time loops with an adapter to put my sounds on it.
The remote works well...most of the time I have the call within 40 yards of me. It will work out passed 150 if I feel the need to snipe one....good luck with your choice...Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 12:15 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what the gentleman from OK said. 416.....program adapter.....the sounds that you've been using & have confidence in....decent remote.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dusty Hunter
Member # 1031

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 01:38 PM      Profile for Dusty Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with these two fellas. I used to have to travel 10 hours to get into any good coyote hunting so I bought two 416 FoxPros. I wanted a spare in case something went wrong with one. In the 5 years I was doing that, I never had a problem where I needed a spare. I recently picked up the Big Country Bandit and I must say I really like that one, also. Dusty
Posts: 346 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 02:39 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
The Big country is top notch in my book. You have dual speakers can use one or both and the volume to punch through some wind.You can program all 100 sounds or take off what you don't need and your never 3 button pushes away from any of the 100 hundred sounds.

I call big open country and also cedar draws to me volume is very important and the big country gives you alot of that more so than the fox pro IMHO. I also am thinking of hooking up even more speaker to my big country for even more volume on those days when I must call rugged sound eating country when the wind is 10-15mph.

The Minaksa is very rugged, the case is heavy duty and it is backed by a 5 year warranty. I just ordered the side winder decoy as another tool to be used in special situations and when calling MT Lions I think it will help. I'm going to make a white tail topper from the tail of a deer and will add a fawn decoy if needed to give visual to the sound.

I like alot of the foxpro aspects except the unit not carrying enough volume "in house" without having to add another speaker for most of my calling area. I have a WT I like the coyote vocals and volume, otheriwse very undependable and not worht the high price tag. I'm going to add the WT speaker to my big country for those days I mentioned above and see what I get if the volume is the same, then I'm done pissing with callers.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 03:26 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm awfully happy with the Bandit M-1 I just got, and that's coming from a diehard mouthcall guy. As has been pointed out, they come preloaded with all of Minaska's 100 sound library and any new sound is only three quick pad pushes away.

Each caller comes with a USB device ( I don't know what you call it) that allows you to plug your flash card in and use the included sound file management software to add to, eliminate from, or re-arrange your sounds as you see fit. Then, when you're done, it even offers the means by which a new credit card-sized directory can be printed out and attached to the back of the remote.

The Bandits can use any sound file in MP3 format and there's no such thing as a proprietary sound with Minaska. If it's in MP3, or can be converted to MP3, it can be loaded onto your Bandit.

Also, as a purchaser, you're guaranteed for life any new sounds that Minaska offers free of charge.

Also, the remotes are extremely user friendly and rated out to 400 yards. That's no biggy for me since I cannot think of a single instance where I would even want the caller 400 yards from me. In fact, at that distance, I'd be calling coyotes away from me rather than to me. Beyond a hundred, my wasted eardrums can hardly hear the thing, so at 200+, I'd be sitting there looking all around totally unaware if the caller was or wasn't working in the first place. LOL

The M-1 is small - fits in the pantleg pocket on my hunting pants. Lightweight, too.

Overall, I think it's a great piece of equipment, well built, and durable as hell. (My older brother builds custom covert surveillance equipment for the DEA and law enforcement and uses the same style boxes to house his infrared remote sensors and tells me that they aren't cheap/ best available.)

Best of all, Steve and Todd Borland are all about customer service and if I ever have a problem I foresee no issues with getting things fixed up right away.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 05:54 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote Whacker,
I think the Bandit is probably a great caller, and I don't want to start a board war about e-callers, but the statement about the Bandit being louder wrong. At least compared to the FX3 and FX5. They are putting out far more wattage than the Minaska. They are coming out with a comparison soon and you will see that for clarity of sound and total wattage put out the FoxPros wins hands down. You do have to compare speaker to speaker.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 06:08 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal Taylor,
I finally had the opportunity to hear an FX-5 the other day. Sound quality was very good. What caught my attention however, was the fact that there was no static or "feedback" noise coming from the speaker when the unit was turned on. I heard no crack, pop or static. No sound at all until the button on remote was pressed and the calling sounds began. Very impressive. Louder than a Bandit? I don't know because a lot depends on which speaker you choose. I do know that it was loud enough to call coyotes, and that is what really matters.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 09:12 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich i have a D.K. caller that makes a loud Humming sound before i turn on the tapeplayer, but it dose'nt seem to bother the coyotes. I have listen to the fox-pro and the bandit and i would say they are close to being the same as far as how loud the sound is comeing out of the caller. I do know that the D.K. is much louder than the two callers mentioned above. But like you said rich they all well call coyotes.....

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5081 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 09:39 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
TA17REM
Rich i have a D.K. caller that makes a loud Humming sound before i turn on the tapeplayer, but it dose'nt seem to bother the coyotes.

Aren't you the guy that hasn't called a coyote in Minnesotta for 15 years? I wish we'd known that a couple weeks ago when we were trying to diagnose your lack of success. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Sound quality does matter, more in some areas than others.

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 09:55 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Think about getting a Minaska M-1 and adding an external 10W Toa horn to it. You get something that fits in a coverall pocket and sounds great. On a windy day add the horn for a kicker. Ask LB what he thinks of his M-1.

I have two Big Country models with the same speaker permanently attached and in a little bigger case, but the guts of the thing are same.

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 10:12 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal with all respect I had an fx3 and it was not as loud as my big country with the 10w TOA speaker, nore was it as loud as the speaker on the WT. This was to my ear and distance and not measured with a Db device.

I don't know what watt the foxpro speaker is? I just know it wasn't as loud to my ears. I need/want as much volume as one can get from a unit running on 12v and also the biggest AMP one can get in a caller as well.

I noticed with the FX3 when I hooked up the WT TOA the sounds where distorted, I will be trying a 25W or 30W TOA with the bandit and see what happens.

Maybe rich knows the particulars as to what size AMP the big country has in it?

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 10:18 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a big country bandit and have been useing it the last two weeks with the same results.. (nothing) Of course you are more than welcome to come up here, room and board and transpertation furnished once you arrive. And bring the WT along.One of two things can happen, you can become famous or you can go back home with youre tail tucked between youre legs.. [Big Grin] [Cool]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5081 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:11 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
LMAO!!!!

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:44 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 

[ December 20, 2006, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote Whacker, the amp is the interesting part. I have some information that may surprise you. The FoxPro is running 2 7.5 watt amps and the Bandit is running 1.5 watt so there is actually no comparison in power out put. FoxPro basically has 10 times the power. Cranking a smaller wattage amp just creates distortion, so for sound quality and output the Bandit isn't even close. I'm not into alot of tech stuff and I know that all of this is coming out in better terms on FoxPros website soon so that will be the place to compare all the facts and figures, but this should give you some comparisons. I do know that the FoxPro can handle the big speakers well, I use a large external speaker alot here on my FoxPro for locating and in the wind. I get no distortion and it is loud. But again you have to use a speaker to speaker comparison. The smaller built in speakers on the FoxPro are great for most calling, but if you want the big output, you have to use the big speaker.

[ December 20, 2006, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 05:22 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal interesting and I dropped steve and email on this subject as well. I'm guessing if that is the case then if he where to put a 7.5 amp into the big country sound would be even better? I'll find out hopefully soon.

I'm wondering what the cost differance is in the amps as well and why would anyone under power what could be better?

I don't hear much sound distortion in the sounds from minaska even with both speakers playing at once? I have yet to hook up the big speaker I do know on the fx3 it didn't sound near as good going through it as it did with the built in speakers?

I will be reading when Foxpro does come out with this comparison, I feel it will push others to keep building better and more powerful callers for sure.

maybe that is the reason the battery life on the Minaska is so good?

--------------------

The Bandit
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 08:05 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
maybe that is the reason the battery life on the Minaska is so good?
BINGO........through testing we chose a very efficient amplifier circuit that we feel has adequate volume without being hard on batteries. You can always go bigger at the cost of battery life. We designed the Bandit Series calls to be as small as we possibly could utilizing two different battery sources ( 8 - AA's on the M-1 and the 12 volt 1.3 Ah SLA battery on the regular Bandit and Big Country ) To this date we have not received a single complaint from anyone complaining about battery life or our calls not being loud enough to call in wildlife.

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 07:59 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Todd by going bigger what could one expect from the big country with a bigger amp? More volume from the 10w TOA and better sound yet?

Or would it be a minimal amount of both or either?

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 09:29 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
coyote whacker,
I have a 30 watt TOA speaker from Minaska, just in case I wanted to call some coyotes from your favorite honey holes. I think maybe I could turn it on here in Iowa and make the Arizona coyotes respond. [Smile] No need for a bigger amp on this here Bandit.

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 10:03 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich so the amp in our bandits have plenty of juice to power the 30 watt speaker to great sound and volume? I notice they don't have those 30w speakers anymore? Wondering out of stock or no longer carrying them? Thanks for the reply.

--------------------

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 11:04 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, not trying to start an e-caller war, just trading information. But my understanding (as the experts tell me) is that when you crank the smaller wattage amps you are creating more distortion. It sounds louder and hurts your ears due to that. Kind of like a el cheapo car stereo. With the bigger amps and heat sinks like in the FP you get the volume without distortion and you can actually stand to listen to louder sounds without hurting your ears. Whether or not it has any effect on coyote calling success I can't answer for sure. I'm sure battery power usage is more with the FP, but I seem to do OK. I can get a long contest day without running out of juice, and I recharge that night. I can get several days of a few calls a day, which is more my normal M.O.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 11:49 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
coyote whacker,
To be honest, I haven't yet turned the big ole 30 amp speaker up to full volume. Even at medium volume, it is too loud to play here in the house. When I get a bit of time, I will go oudoors and play with that speaker a little bit and let you know what I really think. I have the 15 watt horn speaker built in to my Bandit right now. When out calling coyotes, I have never felt the need to even turn that little horn up much passed half volume. Even so,I am still playing around with the notion of maybe sending my Bandit in for an upgrade. When I send it in, I am thinking of swapping the horn for a ten watt TOA, and have them leave the large bell on the TOA just like one of those ornery Borland Bros. built his own personal caller for calling coons. Them there Borland's just LOVE to call them coons. The only reason I would swap my horn for the little TOA is that some folks in the know have stated that a TOA is capable of playing the higher pitched sounds better than a horn. I am rambling now, so I will get to the point. My 30 watt TOA may be for sale soon, and if it plays so loud that my neighbors call the law----well you just might be interested in buying that speaker.

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 01:54 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,

How do you like your new remote for the FX5.I have been thinking of upgrading from my FX3 for more sounds and the new remote,after the fur season is over.Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1625 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 02:07 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know rich.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters