The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Turkey Opener in OK With Snow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Turkey Opener in OK With Snow
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 12:30 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
Turkey season opened up here today and it's snowing! It's the first time I've ever hunted turkeys in this kind of weather. The birds didn't act any differently. They were gobbling their nuts off and strutting around.

I was lucky enough to kill a good tom. 10 inch beard and 1 1/2 inch spurs. That warmed me up a bit, but I was still ready to get back inside.

Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 12:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal, Brad. The weather here has been overcast for the past three days, the warm interior deserts sucking the marine layer inland.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 04:11 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
You were ready to get back inside because turkey hunters are generally pansies. It really had nothing to do with the weather. Most okies are a little wimpy about the weather anyway, and then when you get an okie turkey hunter thats about as wimpy as it gets! [Razz]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 04:17 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
What? No pictures?

Show me!!!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Buffalobob
Knows what it's all about
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 06:26 PM      Profile for Buffalobob   Email Buffalobob         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't want to hear any excuses about your wife not letting you take the camera out in the snow.

It is about two weeks before the season opens here and I don't usually kill anything but I do make a lot of screechy scratchy noise out in the woods.

Posts: 90 | From: Potomac River | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Job Brad; Had to be a bit of fun to have them gobble and strut through the snow... I am sure it was adventure you won't soon forget.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 08:12 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Brad..........but heck with the Turkeys..........I am going coyote huntin the morning..........it just ain't turkey hunting unless you have them damn buffalo knats trying to get thru your face mask......Kelly
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 10:49 AM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny 3 Toes. You sound just like an old friend of mine.

I'll email you a pic Tim. I never could figure out how to post one on here.

You have any turkeys down there Kelly? I'll call you on Mondday.

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 01:33 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, You should come and try to hunt these Washington turkeys. They are like the fabled eastern coyote. They are impossible to call, they weigh 60 lbs, and I'm pretty sure they are crossed with wolves. A turkey hunter just don't stand a chance up here.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 02:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Big deal, in California, the turkeys are crossed with Peacocks.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 02:59 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 

[ April 07, 2007, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5081 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 04:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you deleted some snotty comment about the State of California, didn't you?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 05:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, your friends talk about you that way? Maybe, but this guy ain't even from Texas. There is no good reason why Oakies have to take crap from anybody and everybody, better take him down a notch. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 05:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Why Leonard! That never crossed my mind. LOL I have never been to California so nothing bad comes to mind. Did'nt you mention that you have a little Mn. blood in you..

Actualy: i could'nt get a pic to come up that i wanted to go with my post so i just deleted it..

I hear that Cal. has its problems but hey that none of my business. [Roll Eyes]

[ April 07, 2007, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5081 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 06:40 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Leonard. I thought he may be a friend of yours so I was trying to be polite. I sent him/her a personal message. I'll let you know if I get a response. I wouldn't mind hunting some of those Washington state turkeys however. Does Washington even have turkeys?

A new poll may be in order: A new member wants to register. They are from the state of Washington. Should they be allowed?

A. No
B. Never
C. Absolutely not
D. All of the above

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 06:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but there is a strict limit. We already got one.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 07:16 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Brad. I managed to get one turkey slain with the bow in KS before the cold snap got there. The cold really shut them turkeys down. They're not breeding yet, BUT before the cold snap we were getting some called in. After the cold snap got there, we just about got shut out! I'll go back in a month to get my second tag filled, although I have to admit, I missed a bigger tom on the 2nd day!

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 08:34 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Brads a little smarter that a guy likes to give him credit for. He tracked me down and called me on the phone. Never mess with an Okie turkey hunter I guess.

Do you turkey hunters shoot them in the guts or in the lungs? A lung shot turkey can travel for miles, but if you shoot them in the guts they go right down. Never ever shoot one in the lungs if you want to recover it! [Wink]

[ April 07, 2007, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 09:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a lot funnier than I thought. You been reading. That's a hoot.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 06:26 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad - give me a call.......turkeys are here...Kelly
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters