The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Something to Do

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Something to Do
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something y'all can do.

Anyone remember when we all put targets on the HM coyote?

Here's a picture of a big elk, so's Tim knows what one looks like.

-

Take two shots, one at the 120yds the picture was taken from, and another at twice that distance.
(*Edit the wind is blowing 10mph quartering right and away)

Describe what you'd shoot him with, and why you'd pick that shot.

I'm really busy, but I'll play later if I get some time, mostly I'm hoping I'll learn something.
(*It's much easier to pick the shot with a camera) [Smile]

Krusty  -

[ May 13, 2007, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 09:30 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
My first choice would be the solid circle. But that looks like it may be a pretty big drop off behind him, and he is most likely to run down hill. So depending on what is behind him ( Easy access or a long climb back up ) I might take the zero shot and hope to take out the shoulder and drop him where he is standing.

-

For a rifle, I'd use the 7 Remington Magnum. It's my favorite big bore. I'm still not sure about my choice of bullet, the 162 Amax is my favorite, but I might want something a little heavier, and more solid for Elk

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 10:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
either distance, lung shot just behind the shoulder, two inches rearward of Tim's "O"...maybe a bit higher?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
slydog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 11:08 PM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
Grasshopper, You have come far. I see you differently than I used to. Good question. Should be a lot of good answers come from this one.

Well my answer is going to be at the small end of the spectrum as everyone knows I shoot small caliber rifles but I'm still going to give my thoughts.

Krusty, Q:"Take two shots, one at the 120yds the picture was taken from, and another at twice that distance."
(*Edit the wind is blowing 10mph quartering right and away)

Sly, A: I shoot a Tac20, 4000fps, 40grn berger bullet ( I know that there are many who will scoff at my responce but I also have 17 big game animals to my credit with this caliber)and have lost NONE in the proccess.

At 120 yards I would place my shot behind the front sholder and mid chest, from the results of my kills with this combination, this shot would take out the lungs and possably heart and liver. With this round and this distance the wind would not even factor in.

At 240 yards, I woulden't change a thing. What I described above would not change enough to dictate making any changes...

The pro's of this caliber: flatt, fast and accurite with no recoil. Pinpoint accuricy and volosity are hard to beat....
The con's of this caliber: with a .204 diamiter bullit there will not be much of a blood trail. Avoid heavy bone and muscle and never take a marginal shot. Keep this in mind when using any small caliber.
I also shoot many hundreds, if not thousands of rounds every year. I'm able to spend from 200 to 250 days a year in the field and that allows me to get lots of time in the scope.

I have killed more elk with a bow than with a rifle but I have killed a few (7) with my old standby, 25.06 shooting a Barnes 100 grn XLC or the triple shock with deadly results. BTW I would shoot it the same way either way...... I pick my shots and try to always pass on a bad shots. This last season I killed a 740 lb cow elk with my Tac20. One shot, 140 yards. She traveled 20 yards, 10 on her feet and 10 on her face.

Bullet placement is key, seccondly is the importance of an accurate rifle/ cartridge, Knowing the distance and the effective range of your cartridge. Don't forget being in an area that has game helps..... [Cool]

Thats just my 2 cents

sly

--------------------
Smote the Yote with a slydog custom call

Posts: 179 | From: SW Idaho | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 07:24 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
From my point of view and looking at the position of the front legs, that elk is quartering towards the shooter. Not a broadside shot by any means. For that reason, I'm shooting/angling for the offside shoulder. I'll shoot just above Tim's solid dot. My shot might cost me a little meat and be tough on some standard bullets, but give me a Nosler Partition and that shot is no problem.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 10:08 AM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
Elk hunting with a 20TAC? Humph, maybe the HMR is a long range coyote gun after all.
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 12:33 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
You took the words right out of my mouth Randy. Just shows you what happens in the summer. First it's slinging lead at coyotes to far away to shoot, now it's BB guns for bull elk.....what's next I wonder?

[ May 14, 2007, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
If i was as good as,slydog,i would hold about 6" below the eye ball and let her rip.Sure would save a lot of meat,and the elk would drop on the spot.Since i'm old and shaky,i would hold about the same place as,Tim,the"O"on the left.With an elk standing at that angle,i think it would be the perfect shot,taking out all the vitals.I wouldn't reccomend that shot with one of the squirrel calibers tho.

17hmr? Thats a bee bee gun,for heavens sake!LOL

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 02:23 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be a little higher and a little further back then Tim's donut circle. This would give me a good chance of taking out both lungs and heart. The leg position makes me think that the bull is dead broadside to me. I think that the foreleg being back and the head turned makes it appear that it is quartering towards me.

At either distance I would shoot it with anything from a .243 and up. I used to hunt everything with my .25-06. 117 grain hollowpoints would absolutely obliterate the major internal organs, and no, there was never any bullet fragments to recover.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 04:28 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you shooting that elk in the shoulder are the same guys shooting coyotes at 4 and 5 hundred yards even at night. 120 yd neck shot is a lot easier than a three hundred yd coyote. Cutting up my own big game for years and hate throwing away front shoulders.
By the way I am a new guy. Leonard recruited me.
Bobcat hunter/trapper from Ca.
Hello all.
P.S. How do I do spell check on here?

[ May 14, 2007, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 04:49 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
furhvstr,

Welcome to the greatest calling board on the net!

We done got all knowed up on spel cheekin from Kevinkkaller, You wil hav to ask him for the sekret recipy

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 05:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, furhvstr . Glad to have you on board.

I can count on one hand the number of personal invitations I have extended in the past couple of years. I believe this gentleman has something to offer.

Good hunting. LB

edit: no bells and whistles on HM, including spellcheckers

[ May 14, 2007, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 05:41 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

The ground back there rolls gently down, and then steeply back up the hill again.
He's standing on the end of a small ridgeline, so everything around him is downhill (and so is the truck).

That's my advice to an elk hunter... hunt uphill from camp. [Wink]

Sly,

You make an interesting statement, "I see you differently than I used to."

I have to wonder how much of it is "you guys see me differently" and how much of it is "I am different"?

If you shot this elk with your .20 you'd go to jail.
You better bring a .243 or bigger to Washington. [Smile]

Lonny,

You are correct, he's quartering back towards me, about to wheel around and head back into the trees.

If we were hunting stealthily and camo'ed up, he might not be looking right at us, and we might have more time to shoot.

I like your thinking. [Smile]

Furharvester,

Dude, I like you, you just kick in the door and start killin' the bad guys. [Big Grin]

Leonard doesn't often recruit, that makes you "highly interesting" right from the get go.

You guys that are still cat trapping in California are a huge inspiration to me.

I've learned a lot on this site, about trapping, I look forward to your input on the subject. Welcome indeed.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 06:07 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
I've caught six or seven cats in cages since we lost our traps. Mostly fool around with them for fun. 24 hour check sucks. Harvest my fur with .17's and .19's, some shotgun. Night hunting is the greatest.
Thanks for the welcome guys.

KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 07:56 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tim ! I Ditched spelling class to hunt coyotes.
I DO KILL MORE COYOTES than corect spelled words LOL.

KK Donut no mater 270 300wm 7mmwm good sierra game king bullet.

Good hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 06:13 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Mercer.

We wont hold it against you that you use a 17...............
Well maybe Leonard would! hehe

Glad to have another cage trapper around.

As far as the elk goes, I dont need two shots, and I would rather slip in close and zip a Crossbow bolt right where Leonard said to put his shot. Much more fun, and the elk is just as dead and zero meat ruined. But that is just me.
Steve

[ May 15, 2007, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: Steve Craig ]

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 07:29 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Like Steve, I would sneak in as close as possible.
Then I would show it a picture of Rich Cronk. Ruins a lot of meat though.

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 10:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not fair, Higgins.

Rich Cronk is not even close to the ugliest man on the Internet.... although he may crack the top ten?

Sounds like a good poll question, though?

Good hunting. LB

edit: hey, you still have that pic of Bill Martz?

[ May 15, 2007, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 11:21 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
 -
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm practically rolling on the floor! Bill wins! Dream on, Rich Cronk!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2007 06:21 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are killin me!
now back to elk Im with mr craig only Id be using a compound bow at 35 yds seems like a challenge. hunting them with a rifle isnt that a little like hunting a garge door.I mean after you locate em and all.Though im speaking with no experience whatsoever as I've not been fortunate enough to get drawn and not yet willing to spend ten grand for the privlage.
PM

edited: because I cant compose a sentence

[ May 15, 2007, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Buffalobob
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2007 12:21 PM      Profile for Buffalobob   Email Buffalobob         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I already killed that elk at 968 yards with a 34 inch barreled 7mm Allen Magnum shooting a 200 grain Wildcat RBBT HP at 3340 fps. Topped the rifle with a 8-32X 56mmNF and a NP R2 reticle in a tiger striped A-5 stock.

Yep, I just checked and that one is already dead. Y'all will have to find a new one.

-
 -

Smacked him right in the heart, twice

-

Posts: 90 | From: Potomac River | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2007 04:49 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Rifle! What case is it based on?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's Kirby Allen, (a member here) in Fort Shaw, MT. I think it might be based on the 338 Lapua, as is several others he designed? Right BB? Kirby did my 223Ackley, which I use quite a bit on daylights. He does a good job and get's it back to you before you have forgotten why you wanted it.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Buffalobob
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 06:03 PM      Profile for Buffalobob   Email Buffalobob         Edit/Delete Post 
Kirby Allen has developed a line of wildcat cartridges based upon the 338 Lapua Magnum with less body taper and the shoulder set forward and at a sharp angle. It will burn about 105 grains of Hodgdens US 869 behind a Richard Graves Wildcat 200 grains bullet. The 7mm is the best behaved of Kirby's 338LM based wildcats. It shoots about 0.4 MOA off of a bipod laying in the dirt. With a 34 inch barrel it is not of any real use for stalking animals or walking around hunting.

It just all depends upon what you enjoy doing and what your goals are. If you read the pig story you can see that I get some fun out of doing somewhat wierd shooting tricks.

Posts: 90 | From: Potomac River | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters