The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » OSHA rule would change life in the USA and end ammo, propellant manufacture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OSHA rule would change life in the USA and end ammo, propellant manufacture
Nahuatl
Knows what it's all about
Member # 708

Icon 8 posted July 05, 2007 07:39 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I faxed OSHA a letter of my own this evening. The letter below was too much for my tastes, so I wrote my own 2-paragraph version. This deserves everyone's attention.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proposed OSHA Regulation Threatens
Firearm and Ammunition Industry
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the government agency charged with assuring the safety and health of America's workers, is proposing a regulatory rule affecting the manufacturing, transportation and storage of small arms ammunition, primers and smokeless propellants.
As written, the proposed rule would force the closure of nearly all ammunition manufacturers and force the cost of small arms ammunition to skyrocket beyond what the market could bear—essentially collapsing our industry. This is not an exaggeration. The cost to comply with the proposed rule for the ammunition industry, including manufacturer, wholesale distributors and retailers, will be massive and easily exceed $100 million. For example, ammunition and smokeless propellant manufacturers would have to shut down and evacuate a factory when a thunderstorm approached and customers would not be allowed within 50 feet of any ammunition (displayed or otherwise stored) without first being searched for matches or lighters.
NSSF and SAAMI have already had a preliminary meeting with OSHA officials to begin the process of explaining to them the major problems this proposed rule presents for all levels of the firearms and ammunition industry. Furthermore, NSSF and SAAMI are each seeking a 60-day extension of the public comment period (currently scheduled to expire July 12).
NSSF is urging all retailers to contact OSHA directly and request a 60-day extension of the public comment period. Retailers should inform OSHA that the proposed rule constitutes a "significant regulatory action" as defined in Executive Order 12866 (1993) Section 3(f)(1) in that it will clearly "adversely affect in a material way" the retail sector of the firearms and ammunition industry, productivity, competition and jobs and that the annual compliance cost for all retailers of ammunition will far exceed $100 million dollars.
SEE BELOW for a template letter. If you choose to draft your own letter, the reference line must read as follows:
RE: Docket No. OSHA–2007–0032
Request to Extend Public Comment Period and Request for Hearing on
"Significant Regulatory Action" as Defined in Executive Order 12866
Please fax the letter to: 202-693-1648 (include the docket number and Department of Labor/OSHA on the cover sheet and in the reference section of your fax or letter.

________________________________________________________________________________

OSHA Docket Office
Docket No. OSHA–2007–0032
U.S. Department of Labor
Room N–2625 200
Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20210

Request to Extend Public Comment Period and Request for Hearing on
“Significant Regulatory Action” as Defined in Executive Order 12866

Dear Secretary Chao:

I am writing to request an extension for public comment set to expire on July 12, 2007 for Preliminary & Initial General Observations on OSHA Explosives Proposed Rule (29 CFR Part 1910) - Published at Federal Register Vo. 72, No. 71, at P. 18792 (April 13, 2007).

After reviewing the proposed regulations it is my belief that the proposed rule is a "significant regulatory action" as defined in Executive Order 12866 (1993) Sec. 1(f)(1) in that it will clearly "adversely affect in a material way" the retail sector of the firearms and ammunition industry, productivity, competition and jobs and that the annual compliance cost for all retailers of ammunition will far exceed $100 million dollars.

Below is a bulleted list of what I am most concerned about:

· Massive Costs

· Ammunition Shortage to DoD and Law Enforcement

· Unreal assumptions - this rule cannot be complied with reasonably by millions of American sportsmen, small and large businesses, law enforcement officers, or the US Military.

· Shipping is Halted

· National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA) Rules Exceeded

It bears noting that scientific testing and safety records clearly illustrate that small arms ammunition is inherently an extremely safe product. Billions of rounds of ammunition are sold each year in the U.S. and records demonstrate that current production and safety requirements are working.

I urge OSHA to grant an extension to this critical regulatory process.

Sincerely,

(insert contact info)

Edited letter content.

[ July 05, 2007, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Nahuatl ]

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 07:52 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a repeat. Here's a link to the Senate Contact Page. Find your Senators - fill in the blanks - and cut and paste this message (( or WRITE YOUR OWN WITH GUSTO ))

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Hon. Mr./Ms.(Senator's Name)

I write to you to express my dismay at the proposed OSHA rule that would treat small arms ammunition as "explosives." New rules proposed by OSHA would adversely affect thousands of businesses, millions of sportsmen, every law enforcement officer in America, and the entire US military.

It bears noting that scientific testing and safety records clearly illustrate that small arms ammunition is inherently an extremely safe product. Billions of rounds of ammunition are sold and safely shipped to law enforcement, the military, and individuals each year in the U.S. and records demonstrate that current production and safety requirements are working.

(Signature)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you don't take this seriously and make the effort to contact OSHA and your own Senators yourself, you may see ammunition become totally unavailable, or see ammo costs go up 1000%. DO NOT LET BUREAUCRATS BACKDOOR YOUR 2nd AMENDMENT RIGHTS. Do not leave this up to the other guy.

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dusty Hunter
Member # 1031

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 08:32 AM      Profile for Dusty Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information. I sent mine off today. I'm someone who doesn't let up on these guys. It's not just about voting. We need to contact these "representatives" and let them know our positions because they work for us. If we let them forget that, we're in deep scat.
Posts: 346 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 09:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that's a good idea, Fred. They would do well to open congressional hearings on the reasons why these do gooders think stuff like this is what the citizens want. Make OSHA and all the rest justify their actions for the public interest. Let them tackle other "important" issues like global warming and take away their access to sharp instruments. As regulators, they are misguided.

Let's see? They take away our $800 guns so that poor getto kids can't steal them, and sell them on the street for $50, so they can kill each other.

Good hunting. LB

edit: on the road out of town in about ten minutes. Good bye, Valley of the Sun; hello CA.

[ July 06, 2007, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 04:58 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
I contacted today, thanks for making it easy. The form you must fill in is great. it asks for email address, my answer, "its on the email stupid" to Cantwell it worked to Murray I had to put in an address.
sort of a test.
CD

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 05:00 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gary
Sent letters to Kyl and McCain though Mc Cain wont get his he's to busy campaigning , to bother with being a senator.Whats it gonna take for all these dummies to wake up and realize what they are doing to this great nation.
PM

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 04:32 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Unemployment

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dusty Hunter
Member # 1031

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 04:22 PM      Profile for Dusty Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this will wake them up?

http://www.theterryandersonshow.com/MISC/KYL-REBATE/JudasKylRebate070705.html

Oh, and by the way, I contacted both of the AZ senators, and contacted my congressman and asked him to open some congressional hearings on this sort of anti-rights regulations. In addition, I contacted AZ Citizens Defense League and hopefully they will get their members activated on it. [Big Grin]

[ July 07, 2007, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Dusty Hunter ]

Posts: 346 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2007 08:54 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Travelling to and from Tucson this weekend, I stopped in at Cabela's and a couple of Sportsman's Warehouse stores. None of the employees or managers had heard about the new OSHA rule. I spent as much time as I dared in each store trying to convince them how bad the situation would be if this were to become law, to log onto the NRA internet site, to email their own Senators, and to get involved.

I am amazed at the response of the manager of the Avondale SW who said how great the new rule would be. In the event of a thunderstorm, she thought it would be fantastic. She could close the store and go home for the day. Her attitude towards the problem and the business itself told me she needed to be looking for a new line of work.

[ July 09, 2007, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Nahuatl ]

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 04:41 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my next letter would be to corporate describing the conversation she and you shared.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 09:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that!

In Kalifornia, it is the same attitude with Fish and Game. A lot of the wardens are bunny huggers who are not at all sympathetic with me and my objectives when in the field.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 10:53 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to say that my preaching did not fall on deaf ears at the gun counters. I learned right at the beginning of this exercise to qualify my audience and ask immediately if my listeners were shooters or hunters. If they were, they were very interested in joining the fray.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Golden State Ammo Registration Bill Gutted!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 02:21 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
AND

OHSA Grants 60 day extension on Proposed "Safety" Rule That Would Address Ammunition Sales

The Bandit
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 08:33 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how few people I have talked to even know about this. If anything deserves a chain Email this is it. It's things like this that the media never talks about that have a way of sliding through.

[ July 13, 2007, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: The Bandit ]

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters