The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » It's all about putting out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's all about putting out
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 08:31 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, my 16 year old son learned a valuable lesson.

Earlier this evening, our high school football team took on a team that beat us soundly last year, 45-0 in preseason. The team? Kansas City-Turner, a suburban/ urban bunch of citified sorts that came to our house tonight thinking they'd whoop up on a brand new bunch of country bumpkins. Well, we had other ideas.

Our school is 4A with about 460 students in the high school. KCT- 5A and nearly 800. In the first half, our boys ran scared. Fumbling the ball, giving up yardage on stupid penalties, and simply handing KCT the game. Luckily, at half time, we were only down 14-0.

When the final buzzer sounded, the city of Abilene came to life. Final score? 28-22. Abilene had managed to pull off what can only be described as a stunning upset for these boys - a team that finished last in their league last season somehow pulling an upset on a ranked team from the next largest division.

Despite the fumbles, bad snaps, missed field goal attempt and stupid, stupid penalties - one of which cost them a fumble return for a TD - this group of boys - mostly juniors and sophomores - presevered, never gave up, and in one fell swoop, brought Goliath to his knees.

When my son came through the house to change clothes to go out and eat dinner with the team, I pulled him aside, gave him a big hug and a pat on the shoulder, and asked him to please tell his teammates how proud we are of them tonight. I told him that this game - the bad first half, and the rancorous comeback after halftime - should show him and his buddies that success is more about output than outcome.

I know this has nothing to do with calling coyotes, and most of you guys probably couldn't care less, but I'm at the point - and I know Rich and Leonard have been here, as well as Tim and many others - that I've had many of my chances in life. I've still got some limelight ahead, but my time to be big man on campus has come and gone. Today, I live vicariously through my son, and down the road, my daughter, as I revel in the joys they experience from just going out their and trying. I've had some great accomplishments in my life, but I'm never, ever as proud as when I watch my son and that group of boys I've known since they were Tiger Cub Scouts and snot-nosed kindergartners being so successful at what they do, especially when it means going against adversity to the degree that you know you stand little chance of winning, yet you try. And, win.

And, I thought of ol' Krusty tonight, too. He's tried. God knows he's tried, to call coyotes. Call it bad karma, bad luck or whatever. We all know he's tried, but hasn't been overwhelmingly sucessful. Yet. But, he kept on trying. The output was there. But the outcome wasn't. And that's oaky. It's all about the journey, and I wonder how many of us would have had the gumption to stay in the game.

Kinda makes you think, doesn't it?

Abilene - 28

KC-Turner - 22.

GO Pokes!!!

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Lance. Congratulations.

I remember when my son pitched a no hitter. That was a good day for dad...and mom.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Bandit
Knows what it's all about
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 09:18 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Lance just reading that really brought back some memories of the good ole days playing 8-man.

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2007 10:39 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

Wow dude... [Frown]

You cannot even begin to understand how surprised I am to see my name in that story. And in that light.

I certainly don't deserve it, and I'm a little choked up.

I'll forgo a liberal diatribe on the evils of organized sport, and just say right up, "congratulations" to the boy and his proud pop! [Big Grin]

WINNING RULES!!!  -

You're #1! You're #1! You're #1!

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 02:42 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance... beautifully said! Awesome story. I now look into the eyes of my daughter, son-n-law and my granddaughter. Just like when I saw her in August reloading and shooting her first 22. I remember that day well as it brought back a flood of memories for when I learned how to shoot. Thanks for bringing that memory close to me again.

congratulations to your son!

edit cause I can't spell [Cool]

[ September 08, 2007, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: Crow Woman ]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 04:30 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
WTG Lance!

Ain't kids Great!

I know my kids have been the most frustrating, irritating, wonderful joys of my life! And the cool thing is, they get even better with age!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 05:06 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Superlative story Lance.
Chalk up one for the bumpkins! Every one of those kids will look back on that win in the future and say "remember when." A big win like that has a great effect on a small town. Good job Abilene! [Big Grin]

IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 05:08 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Great story...

Kids... the greatest gift that God ever gives a man... and a grandparent's revenge :}

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 06:57 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff isn't it. I really love it when the underdog either wins or makes such a strong showing that the supposed shoe-in shakes their head in wonder - and nurses the sore muscles the next day and wonder what hit them. Glad your son had that experience.

I'm kind of raising my second family now (at least...) and am at the point of the last of the overlap between the two. Heading out for the youngest's soccer game here in a bit. Spent last weekend in Tn. with the "youngest of the oldest" at a pre-season college soccer tournament. He plays for a school not known for its athletics( awesome doctorate prog., tho) and they faced two schools ranked in the top twenty five. They lost two games....by one goal. The real treat was watching the other team come on the field in such a cocky manner, then watching them almost lose self control during the game because the un-ranked school wasn't such a push-over, and then the almost total silence when they left the field after winning. Metinks they bragged too much before hand.
The underdogs were pleased with themselves after they had a chance to cool down

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted September 08, 2007 08:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, revenge. I never fail to bring up stuff that set me to grinding my teeth, when I see the same type of thing, with my grandsons. Sweet.

Now, the accomplishments on the various fileds of valor...I don't know? Are they more special as a dad or a grandad? About the same, near as I can tell. Aaron got lucky, he's assigned to a Unit in Alaska, due to report by the 19th. I have been worried about Iraq, of course.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 01:20 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Story Lance!

Congrats to you, son, heck, congrats to the whole famn damily!!! [Smile]

(another wonderfully written piece although incidental I'm sure) [Wink]

edit: (or accidental - not sure which) LOL

[ September 08, 2007, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 02:42 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,great story, enjoy those kids before they grow up!

Wasn't sure what to expect when "I read it's all about puttin out " and you were talkin about a 16 year old son!!!!

I know potty mind, dirty old man, etc. etc.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 02:49 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Great story Lance. I know you and your son are both proud....
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, the whole damned town is proud, and THAT is what high school football is all about. I was almost late today finishing up my route for people that wanted to come out and talk about that game last night. Turns out - something I didn't know - that the team we beat actually beat a class 6A school last week in a big upset. They probably came here all cock of the walk. I hope our boys will take a lesson from that. The whole game was Rudy-esque for the boys and it was great to see them all jumping up and down in unison in their endzone after the game with their helmets held above their heads. I did have one neighbor whose son plays very well tell me this morning that last night, at the buzzer, his son had decided once and for all that he was going for a scholarship for football and going on to play in college, so I guess the game does lead some of them down the right road. While, for others, last night will be one of the highest points in their lives.

And yes, Randy, you're a dirty ol' fart. But, then again, I knew that most everyone would think along that line first, but wondered who'd be first to admit it. [Smile]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 03:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe we have members with their minds in such a gutter! I wondered the same thing. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 03:52 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the title, I thought you'd got yourself on the field staff somewhere, and you were gonna explain the "deal".

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 06:43 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what they say, Krusty,... pimpin' ain't easy!

[ September 08, 2007, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 07:56 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
when I first saw the title I thought you was talking about my 2nd girlfriend......but you had such a nice write up........
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 08:04 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Not me buddy, I misread the title and thought when you said putting out, you were going to brag about a great round of golf!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2007 07:32 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great story Lance,just got back fom archery deer hunt missed the post till now.
brought back alot of memories when my kids were growing up. (about revenge) I'm having fun getting back at my kids through my Grandchildren.
Congrats again on the game and lessons learned.
PM [Smile]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
newbomb
Member # 888

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2007 08:57 AM      Profile for newbomb   Email newbomb         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lance that was great reading! I cant wait for my 2 year old to start sports and hunting trips with me.
Posts: 66 | From: southern indiana | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2007 10:33 AM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
Great post! Good for you, your son and the team. Well written.

Hey, Bandit Todd, like you it brought back memories of playing 8 man football in a small school league in Eastern WA, and we had to play six man against some schools. My last season the league went to 11 man and we whooped up on everybody. Fun days.

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters