The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Is it worth more??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it worth more??
BigO
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1062

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 07:09 PM      Profile for BigO   Email BigO         Edit/Delete Post 
I was shooting skeet with a friend the other day. He told me I needed to get myself a Binelli and get rid of my 870. I asked why. He said "because a Binelli is better."

I asked how it is better. He said, "It weighs less, it's an automatic and it's the fastest production shotgun made."

I asked him how much his Binelli cost? He answered, "around $1200.00." I told him that I only paid around $300.00 for my 870 and by the way the shooting is going I thought the $300.00 gun was holding it's own against the $1200.00 one.

Are you a more, or less kinda guy??

Posts: 64 | From: reno co. ks. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 07:43 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm both.....seems every day I spend more and get less! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a danged good question, since I've always wondered about those Binellis. Doesn't Cal have one? He sure speaks highly of a shotgun he has that he uses on coyotes.

I guess you have to know your expectations from whatever "thing" you're speaking of. I know what I expect my stuff to do, and do my best to try and afford that level of performance. But, I'm not a top shelf kinda guy. Never had the money to be that way. I prefer owning the things I have rather than them owning me.

As far as those two shotguns, I'd be fine with the Remington. With the way I shoot, the only gain I'd make buying the Binelli would be that I'd look damned impressive missing.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 08:14 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Benelli guy all the way. Tried all kinds of other stuff. Had a Remington 550 for a while, (whats a Remington 550 you ask? It's a 1100 that works half the time!) Tried a 10 guage, (can't get shells that I like and it doesn't hold enough). A pump is just not the right gun for me with multiple coyotes on a calling stand. I do much better with an auto. And if you want an auto thats fast and reliable then you get a Benelli. Shooting trap, or skeet, I don't suppose you need one. Although I did shoot league trap with mine and I thought I was the odd man out for shooting a cheap Benelli field gun while everyone else had 5 thousand dollar trap guns. Shooting coyotes is a far more important venture to me. Benellis are also all we shoot out of the air also.

[ October 09, 2007, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 08:16 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
I have some friends who use Benelis & they are fine guns for sure, my only complaint about them is when you`re hunting partner is using one, you get to endure listening to them piss & moan about every little bump & scratch all day long. God forbid you should go waterfowling & have some bad weather to deal with or go pheasant hunting & have to walk through tall weeds or a thicket.

Fine guns for sure, can`t say one bad thing about the guns themselves........however I don`t tuck my guns into bed & night & sing them a lullaby so I chose a Mossy & 2 Rems.

As far as them being "the fastest" shotgun made......Exactly where does that actually help? is there someone who can actually move from one target to another faster than one of the "slower" autos can cycle a shell.....I wanna see that. [Smile]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 08:21 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, we must`ve typed at the same time.

I can see where the dependability issue would be the biggest reason for spending the money but what I really want to know is how beat up yours is from coyote hunting or do you keep it in a lambswool sleeve at all times with just a slot cut out for the sights & trigger? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jason

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 08:22 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
JD,
You should see my shotguns! They are the most mistreated guns I have. Scuffed, scarred, and beat. I don't care what they cost, they are a tool and used accordingly. No sense having any gun you can't use or have to baby. The reason I like them is they can take some abuse and keep working.

--------------------

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 08:28 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that`s what I like to hear, someone who doesn`t mind USING a gun first & worrying about the asthetic value some other time. I suspected that would be the case with "your" Benelli.

--------------------
Jason

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 08:46 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I owned 3 Benelli Montefeltros. Fancy wood stocks and all but they all got sold because I always grabbed my Benelli M1 Super 90 with synthetic stock and matte finish metal. It has without a doubt been the best shotgun I've ever owned.

What it cost means little if it doesn't fit you and if it does then the money spent will be forgotten.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 09:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Why I don't own a Benelli, I don't know? Every one I pick up seems to fit perfect and I'm deadly with them, which I can't say with other guns.

I used to own a Remington 11-47 that was recoil operated, sold it for like $50 bucks? I think it functions a lot like a Browning or a Benelli, but I'm no authority?

For the money, my 835 does pertty good.

And, that's another thing. Take your pick, but I don't particularly care for an auto for coyotes. I'm in and out of the truck too much, and they worry the hell out of me, plus they are noisy. I don't worry about that pump Mossberg. And, I have seen some skeet shooting demos and you have a hard time convincing me that I need the speed of a Benelli after seeing that shit.

Maybe it boils down to me being too cheap?

Good hunting. LB

[ October 09, 2007, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 05:35 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, you brought up another reason for a Benelli auto. Loading and unloading at the stand. When you manually kick the shell out of the chamber of the Benelli, it doesn't load another one, so you don't have to unload the whole magazine. Yet when you fire it, it loads another one very fast. I like the speed. Last year on one stand we had 4 coyotes over run us, I killed 3 outright and wounded the other in about 3 seconds.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 06:36 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal is right on the mark, or at least when we are talking about the "average" guy out there who is looking for a quick followup shot or three. The Remington 870 is a good pump gun now mind you, and I once saw a man fire five shots out of my 870 faster than I could count em. I could never do that because I have a tendency to "short shuck" a pump when I use Magnum fodder. When you "short shuck" a pump gun, it won't pickup the next live round and you pull the trigger on an empty chamber. I don't use a shotgun very much anymore, but when I do the Browning BPS has got to do the job for me. Why? Because I can't justify spending 1200 bucks for a Benelli, that's why! While we are talking shot guns, I also want to mention something else. I LOVE 2&3/4" copper plated and buffered BB's for coyotes, but can't usually find em. I end up shooting the 3 incher's, even though they only give you more flyers and more shoulder bruises. The 3&1/2 incher's out of a 12 gauge you say? With lead shot, you won't enjoy a shure kill range that is even three yards further than you can get with the 2&3/4" magnum's.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 10:41 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I own an ultimag & that cheap sob has seen more abuse than any gun in existance & it still operates & shoots just dandy, even with the 3-1/2s, I`ve heard so many complaints about them over the years that I guess I must have the only good one ever made [Smile] Between it & the 870s I`ve never been let down over the years by a malfunction.

I guess if I were to ever own one I would be like Tom & get the synthetic with matte finish.

They really are a damn good shotgun but 1200 big ones!!! I struggle with that tag on ANY gun.

--------------------
Jason

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 11:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think highly of Benelli's (gotta be the black one) but if I ever get around to hunting with Cal, I'm not embarassed to pull out my crummy 835.

edit: I like the idea of the back boring, even if I'm using the short shells.

Good hunting. LB

[ October 10, 2007, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GCrock
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 12:56 PM      Profile for GCrock   Email GCrock         Edit/Delete Post 
My take on it.
You guys don't go to Walmart and buy a 700 sps in 22-250 and go kill coyotes--you have to have custom barrels, stocks, expensive scopes to call coyotes into 200 yards and shoot them. Add up what you have in just one rifle. But yet, you're willing to pay 400 for a shotgun that kills just as good as a benelli shotgun? Why do people go with AR's? Fast follow up shots on multiple targets without having to work a bolt or a pump. The benelli's are top notch as far as reliability, light in weight, easy on the recoil, and are very durable with their synthetic stocks. As Cal said, he put down 3-4 coyotes in a matter of 3-4 seconds. Now, everyone knows a pump can be made to shoot really fast--under ideal situations. Throw in some snow, heavy clothes and gloves--see how fast you can point and shoot, pump, switch to target #2 and repeat for target #3. With a semi auto, point and pull trigger, no movement of forward arm, point and pull trigger. Mossberg's, 870's, and bps's are all good guns and will kill coyotes very well--just like the 700 sps mentioned above, I just don't get why we customize everything down to a gnat's ass for the rifles, but make due with whatever shotgun was on sale that week? To afford more rifles? I have a browing gold 3 1/2, but have shot a benelli super black eagle a lot at different critters--currently looking at the Beretta extrema 2 for the glove like fit. Cost? About that of a custom rifle without the scope. Advantages--tough stock I don't have to worry about beating up, recoil reduction far superior to any pump, very fast follow up shots in case a dead coyote doesn't stay dead, ablity to shoot trap, doves, pheasants, ducks, geese, called coyotes in without worrying about switching shotguns for a different fit, or failures to feed. Again, your mileage may vary, but I want equipment that works well and gives me every advantage I can get--just like my rifles.

[ October 10, 2007, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: GCrock ]

Posts: 17 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 02:19 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The Benellie is a fine weapon; no question. It also cost 3 times as much as my beater Mossberg pump. So the real question for a recreational caller is 'Will it kill 3 times as many coyotes?' (Not talking ADC or contests.) For me, the difference in cost would be better spent on scouting trips to new - more - better areas.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
GCrock
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 02:25 PM      Profile for GCrock   Email GCrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Does your custom rifle kill 3 times as many coyotes as an off the shelf rifle? Don't get me wrong, lots of people just don't use a shotgun enough to justify more than a beater. But on a board filled with contest hunters and some of the best of the best--doesn't a top of the line shotgun that MAY help you bag a few more coyotes make sense?
Posts: 17 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
BigO
Member # 1062

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 05:18 PM      Profile for BigO   Email BigO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll keep my 870, I'll shoot my plain ol' Savage .223 and, I won't buy the FX5, I'll just use the FX3. But, I refuse to go cheap on the beer. It's Michelob or nothing... unless it's free. Then I'd even drink a Natty!!
Posts: 64 | From: reno co. ks. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 06:05 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, theres no way any of us can justify what we spend on weaponry and hunting coyotes. I like shooting the best stuff I can. I waited years to have a Freedon Arms 454 Casull (not for coyote hunting), and I did without a decent shotgun or AR for a long time, but I finagled ways to get them and now have some very good stuff. I'm glad to have it. But again, it is to use, and none of it gets babied. I could get by with less, but why? [Big Grin]
Some of my buddies claim there is no way that they could afford to have some of the stuff I have, but they spend every weekend in the bar, eat out several times a week, and do alot of stuff I don't. Some of them have wives that spend more in a month on clothes and crap than I do all year on ammunition and guns! LOL! (You know who you are!)

Big O, I'm glad to see you draw the line somewhere, even if it is on beer.

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 06:09 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
My old M1 cost me $750.00 out the door 10-12 years ago, maybe longer than that. It just shoots 3" shells. My cousin watched me shoot this one for about 4 years until he had his beloved 1100 fail to cycle on a 15 degree Kansas morning. That was enough of a test to him, he bought the Super Black eagle and never looked back. His dad who was a Remington fan of many years bought one just like mine the following year.

I would imagine a new 1100 would be close to what I paid for mine and I've seen new M1's for $800.00 so the $1200.00 sticker shock isn't really necassary. Mine has a 21" barrel, 6 choke tubes and a 2 shot magazine extension. It's light weight, little felt recoil even with magnums and has never hiccupped, never. Shot light skeet loads at the skeet range and 3" magnums in the woods. I took alot of crap from folks at the skeet range and my pheasant hunting group but I also convinced some of the nay sayers along the way without ever having to say a word.

I can't answer the original question for anyone but me, yes it was worth every penny.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 07:28 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
GCrock, I reckon it will vary with each person but for me I would say that I use a shotgun on stand 1% of the time & my custom AR the on the other 99% so a custom rifle is much more practical than a high end shotgun, for me anyways, especially when you start stretching the distances out in this open ground.

For shooting skeet & the like or where used in Cals situation I can certainly see the justification but for the majority of us any old shot gun will scatter hevishot at 30 yds & kill that 1% coyote.

I`ve hunted upland birds & waterfowl since I was old enough to piss my pants & there have only been a few times where that kind of speed would have mattered, even then it wouldn`t so much be about speed as it would be comfort & felt recoil, I still say there ain`t a man alive that can out shoot the cycle time on ANY auto loader.

I don`t know anything about 3 times more animals killed with ANY gun.....sounds like a sales pitch from a magazine [Smile] but you make a good point about any of us spending the money whether for a rifle or shotgun, it really boils down to owning something that is as close to "the best" as we can afford & practical for how we hunt.

--------------------
Jason

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 05:54 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing I have figured out JD, is that once you develop a liking for shotgun coyotes you start setting up more for it and then your percentage of coyotes shot with the shotgun goes way up. We started out just using a shotgun for contests and "just in case". Les Johnson kept telling us how productive it could be. Pretty soon we started to see the light and putting the shotgun guy in a position for close coyotes, then after some success we found ourselves developing new stand styles that really put the shotgun as the most important. Now I find myself packing a shotgun even when I'm by myself and setting up for it. In the last couple weeks I have been doing a little calling every morning and have shot a dozen or so coyotes and at least half have been with the shotgun. And a couple of those deals were doubles and the shotgun makes doubles a cinch. The remote and the Foxpro is what really makes it work, but it can sure be effective.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 12 posted October 11, 2007 06:22 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
3 Toes,
I need a Bennelli "Montefeltro" pretty bad. Could you send me a check for about a thousand bucks please? I think that I can find the balance around here someplace. [Wink]

[ October 11, 2007, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Rich ]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 07:05 AM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Cal on his last post. Once you shoot a few coyotes with a shotgun up close you won't go back. We were just like Cal carrying it for the contest just in case. Then one contest I shot a double with the shotgun and I was hooked. Now we setup for the shotgun and shoot that high dollar Dead Coyote. I did not spurge and buy the Benelli, I bought a used Browning X2. I was convinced that the X2 would pattern better at long range due to the back boring but Im not sure if it does.
Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 07:48 AM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that a shotgun is a great tool for coyote hunting. I hunt solo probably 90% of the time, so leaving the rifle in the truck is almost always too difficult for me to do. I just wish it were easier packing both to a stand by myself. But I plan on giving it a try this season. I never thought much about it until my very last hunt of last season. I actually went with a partner this time and we hunted a half day from sun up until noon. Killed 5 coyotes and 4 were with my 10 gauge. Two of those would have been reeeeaaally difficult with a rifle, but were no problem with the shotgun. Now I think I'm hooked! For some reason, it's just plain fun to kill coyotes with a shotgun.

As to the original question...
I've probably spent too much $ on this sport. But it sure is fun and I have a few really cool toys. But I'm not broke over it. It's like any other luxury expenditure, don't be stupid about it, live within your means, and I'll tell my cheap buddy to kiss my a**.

Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters