The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » WHAT??? No seatbelts?!?! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WHAT??? No seatbelts?!?!
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2007 07:29 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
What is your reason for not wearing yours? [Wink]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
BigO
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1062

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2007 07:43 PM      Profile for BigO   Email BigO         Edit/Delete Post 
No reason, I wear mine.
Posts: 64 | From: reno co. ks. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2007 07:44 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I Pay my taxes! Fuel- road prop on and on and on.
I will wear mine when thay want me to when the gov payes my taxes!
Good Hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2007 08:19 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
they are constraining... they don't fit right... the government says you have to...that in it's self makes we want to not wear them...

we are smart enough to choose... no need to make it a law to make us be forced to live with someone elses choice...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2007 09:14 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be thrown clear...
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2007 09:18 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
You allready know my reasons.
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2007 10:35 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Indeed Randy. Why, you were the very inspiration for this very thread! You are a ton of fun to have around the campfire. You are one of the best story tellers I've ever heard. I love to hear you talking. What a riot you are, one heck of a chef, and a very generous hunter. Thank you! [Smile]

--------------------

Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 07:58 AM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
"we are smart enough to choose... no need to make it a law to make us be forced to live with someone elses choice..."

AMEN!

Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 08:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the concept, and I was there when Randy told the story and after ranting, the cop let him go.

But,

quote:
"we are smart enough to choose... no need to make it a law to make us be forced to live with someone elses choice..."
Without sounding like a goody two shoes, if I "choose" to drive 100MPH in a 45 zone, and I hit a pedestrian; my freedom to choose is trumped by my loss of freedom as a consequence.

There are lot's of examples. Bikers don't like a helmet law, but they are potential organ doners with a huge hospital bill they can't pay for. So, my "freedom" is being able to pay higher health care premiums, and thereby indulge their "freedom".

Like it or not, we are a Nation of Laws. Some of those laws suck! Some make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, they aren't optional, so if you choose to ignore them, the potential is; you go to jail. Big important laws and tiny insignificant laws.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31504 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 09:30 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I know our seatbelt law in Washington was pushed through by insurance lobbyist. How come my car insurance rates didn't go down when the law was enacted? I do wear one, but I don't think it should be a law.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 02:33 PM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Great points Leonard...... I was just wondering, so if one does not wear a seat belt driving, does he also not wear a seatbelt when flying for the same reasons? or what is the difference .most likely a seatbelt in an air crash is worthless where as a seatbelt in an automobile may prevent injury or death,and creating a burden for the rest of us who have to pay the medical bills for the underinsured. I will wear mine and could care less that the law requires it.

[ October 17, 2007, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: 6mm284 ]

Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 03:27 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, are you running for office in California??? you are beginning to sound like a politician. :}

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 05:09 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not going to talk about politics, I agree the Gvt. is a mess. BUT SEAT BELTS I will talk about.
There is only one reason not to wear them, only one reason not to wear a Helmet (I am a long time Harley rider)

its called STUPID.

if you want to die, want to be a burden on your family and the Govt. dont use em.

I have over 20 years as a Firefighter, and pulled a bunch of dead or close to it from situations.

Want to be thrown free, mad at the govt. both a total load of crap.

There is no argument here, helmets and seat belts work.

Sorry for being blunt, but thats my opinion.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 05:46 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Chalk me up in the Bofire/Leonard camp, particularly when it comes to helmets.
Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 05:59 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a rollover, it only rolled over twice so it was no big deal. I was not wearing a seatbelt at the time and I am here to talk about it. Not a scratch bruise or drop of blood spilled. I squeeeeeeezed my way out of the driver window and looked at the wreckage with disbelief. It's all luck of the draw if ya ask me. If I was wearing a belt I would still be here, I suppose.
I do wear it most of the time but other times I drive with it draped across my shoulder giving the illusion of wearing. Plenty of people are killed while wearing a seatbelt, would they have survived if they had not been restrained? You don't hear many people say they would have lived if they were not wearing a seat belt, you mainly hear the opposite. Ejection is the only time that you can definitively say that a seat belt would have saved a life, in my opinion. The EMT's, firefighters and police may have differing opinions. If it was about safety we would all be driving cars with roll cages and wearing helmets.

IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 06:11 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
There's no doubt that seatbelts save lives. Motorcycle helmets too. It's just that many of us resent the hell out of being told what we have to do. It's the 'cowboy way' and all of that. The question is, where will those who know what's best for us draw the line?? Indy drivers wear helmets.....why not Freeway drivers?? How about a National 45MPH speed limit?? That would save lives. Do it for the children. I think that you begin to get the idea......

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7597 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 06:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, that argument is not lost on this kid. But, there are some things that you just are not going to win, and this is one. It's not that big a deal. I often do not wear one off road, myself. But, pick something that really matters when you throw out personal liberty; this isn't it.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31504 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 06:23 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago, I failed to nail the front brakes hard enough and locked my rear brakes and skidded way to the right. I managed to hang on as the bike straightened but only for a second and then it whipped to the left. I went flying, landed on my feet but the momentum was pushing me way too fast. I rolled and rolled and rolled while getting momentary glimpses of my bike sliding down the road towards me. Scary.

I still thank the Lord that all I got was a quarter sized scratch on my elbow and a bruised right butt cheek. BUT....you should of seen the many monster gouges and really deep scratches in my helmet...YIKES!

Helmets aren't required in CO but glad I had mine on! [Smile]

edit:
P.S. Just think of what might of happened if I'd been wearing a seat-belt!?!? [Eek!]

[ October 17, 2007, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 06:55 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
In my time in EMS, I recall only one instance where I attempted to resuscitate a person wearing a helmet. A newly wed couple, in their late forties or early fifties, were traveling on a touring bike, riding double. This beautiful street bike had a trailer behind it. Prior to departure from Abilene, their traveling companion noted that a cord was exposed on this guy's rear wheel. It was Sunday, no one in town could help him, so they figured they'd be okay to the next town on the Interstate. They made it about three miles when the back wheel blew and threw them both. The back of his bride's helmet hit the asphalt and split open like a melon dropped on concrete. Despite our efforts, she didn't make it. He experienced the same ride and his helmet left him with a lot of road rash, but nothing more.

As far as insurance companies and safety issue, what a joke. Does anyone realize that you pay more for auto insurance if you tell them that you smoke? Wanna know why?

In the late '80's, in King County, WA, a study was being conducted on seatbelt usage and the extent of injuries that were sustained in car accidents. Patients brought into their ER's were questioned about their seatbelt habits, and duing that study, they serendipitously discovered that smokers are less likely to buckle up. Boy, if you don't think the insurance industry glummed onto that one. Even today, if you smoke, they assume that you take other risky behaviors, i.e., no belts, and are thus an increased risk.

I have to agree. Most people I know that refuse to wear them do so only because they want to stick it to "the man".

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 06:59 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely 100% of the time wear a helmet on a bike, Loco, mandated or not. You didn't stick the landing like a gymnast? That's a 1 point deduction. The odds were in your favor.

I'll trade wearing a helmet in the car for not having to wear a seat belt like the bikers.

IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 07:17 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
want to be a burden on your family and the Govt.
Carl,

Maybe it's just the flat medium that the WWW has. But if I'm reading you right, I truly pity you. How could you ever consider an injured member of your family to be a burden?

I pray that my family never looks at me in that light, and I would hope that your family would never consider you a burden.

What I consider a burden on society, would have to be a person who is able, yet doesn't attempt to contribute anything to the society that he lives in.

I do wear a seatbelt when I feel the risks of other drivers are great. Such as while driving on the interstate with the cruse set at 82 or driving in a large city.

But I don't think that any man, or any Government should be allowed to tell me that I must do something "for my own good" That goes against the fundamentals of Freedom and Liberty that this country was founded on. For the life of me, I can't figure out why some people think that they should control me or my actions, when those actions have no direct bearing on them.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 07:19 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, that`s right, somebody NEEDS to "stick it to the man" [Smile]

I`ve pryed a bunch of people out of cars when I was on the rescue squad & I used to race bikes & have ridden on & off for years....big friggin deal....people should have the right to choose, you may think they are stupid, so, you know what they say about opinions.

LB, your claims of higher health costs for everyone are questionable, If that truely is an issue for you then you should look at illegals first & put this issue down at the bottom of your list of lost causes. [Razz]

I don`t think their are very many of us who would say that seat belts or helmets are a bad idea, but by gawd I sure as hell don`t need one more law telling me how to save myself from......well...MYSELF.

Damn do-gooders (AKA Liberals)

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 07:22 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
me... I've seen too much to not be wearing a seatbelt since I got my driver's license. And this past December certainly enforced my thinking because I might not be here to post this had I not been buckled in.

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 07:22 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, we we`re typing at the same time, anyhow....very well said.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 07:24 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have ridden motorcycles most of my life and I dont ride without a helmet,I raced for many years and met the ground more often than I care to remember. Helmets work. Just sold my last sport bike yesterday getting to old and my reaction time is not what it used to be. May get another bike someday much milder form than what I've been riding. I cant stand helmet laws,however irresponsible people that would ride witout a helmet should sign a waiver relieving others from thier hardship if they wish to ride without.
As far as seat belt laws maybe the same thing should apply. I've been in accidents where a seatbelt would have killed me,but the fact is that is the exception.
I cant stand laws and we are never in better hands than when the legislature is in recess.
But in times where people dont understand self reliance and personal responsibilty this crap is bound to happen welcome to the world as it is.
PM [Eek!]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters