The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 08:30 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said before, the story isn't much to tell, as far as fantastic calling stands go, but since we've been waiting so long it's worth telling.

The Good;

I haven't been out hunting much since August, and missed the general deer season, so I was glad to make the late buck season (for which my doe tag still applied).

Sunday afternoon, before the opener, I went out and made a stand or three, and saw a decent buck, who lead me through a thick patch of doghair hemlock and onto an overgrown track that paralleled the main road.

The following morning I took this same side track, and followed it a mile or so.
About the time the morning wind shifted, I found myself at a good looking intersection, which with the slow stalk to my planned destination a few hundreds yards further, would work better with the "new" wind.

I sat down in a clump of small jack pines, the wind blowing to my left, and the sun at my back.
The path I had come in on was 45° over my left shoulder, and the road to the powerlines where I had planned to call, was 45° behind me over my right shoulder.
A long fairly straight lane lie out ahead of me.

I slipped on my camo head net and gloves, pulled out my little metal Australian fox whistle, and began to call.
My fox whistle has called some nice does, so I knew I had nothing to lose.

I was about to give it up... my butt was falling asleep, and it had been a decent amount of time for the average coyote stand... but a slight shift in my weight, and the dream of a big spotted eastern Washington 'cat, made me stay a while longer.

Suddenly, I saw a small doe coming through the trees ahead, and just as suddenly my mind turned it turned into the coyote that it actually was.

The whole world turned into slow motion, an unreal calm took me over.

The coyote had come in on the wind, as if it didn't have a care in the world, it wasn't timid, it wasn't on the charge, it was just walkin' along.

Without stopping, it came out of the woods, and stepped all the way across the road, where it checked up behind a small pine tree, to look for the source of the lipsqueaking.
It's head bobbed a bit, peering through the branches straight at me, where I sat slowly trying to mount the rifle.
Right then, the coyote took those tiny stutter steps we all hate to see, and turned to his right.
And I swear I heard him think... "Hmm, should I swing on downwind and sniff this out?", knowing in 30 yards of thick brush I could not see through, he'd have me, and the game would be over.

I used this opportunity to mount up and draw a bead.
I didn't know if a .243 would go through that tree or not, but I was gonna find out if he twitched that way.

Much squeaking, only made him indecisive, looking at me, and back downwind repeatedly.

Then, something in the squeak I made, right against the wood of the stock, got him.
And he stepped out from behind the tree for a better look, I tracked him in the scope as he did, and the instant he stopped the rifle barked out as if someone else pulled the trigger.

It was as "bang-flop" as it gets, his tail didn't even twitch.
With the surprise of the recoil, my eyes popped open, and I saw his feet pointed at me as he tipped over.

My view;

-

He came in on the green dotted line, checked up at the yellow X, and the story begins and ends at the red X.

His view;

-

You can better see how he used the tree on his right to hide in, from his side.

Red went back and got these photos with me (a week after the fact), and lasered my 50 paces, correcting my 100 foot guess to 42 yards.

The Bad;

I had always talked some major smack, about the .243... too big for varmints, too small for big game, blah blah blah.

You can bet I gave Jim a pretty long sideways look when he handed it to me, to borrow.

I've also talked some serious smack about what a great, reliable, and accurate, mil-surp my very own Mosin-Nagant is, but I have yet to actually be able to prove that to Jim.

I knew before I even got up I was going to eat some crow over the way this played out.

A Mauser... in .243... that I borrowed... and it did almost no pelt damage!

The crap will come from many directions, for many years to come.

Like I say, before I even got up, I had so many thoughts and emotions welling up, that my mind was whirling.
So many people I wished had been there, or that I wanted to tell, or to thank.

Now I am ruined, for sure, I was so much better off when I still hadn't "done it".
The stands I made over the following two weeks were pure hell.
Now that I have tasted success, failure is even more bitter.

The Ugly;

The pictures aren't much to see, the following day (after shooting my coyote) I went to town and bought a disposable camera.

Here's me, Woody the stiff legged coyote (36 hours postmortem, and half frozen), and Jim's custom .243AI Mauser.

-

And just the coyote, by himself.

-

When I called Tripp, he asked me what I was going "to do" with it, and I told him, "skin it, and add it to my fur for sale..."
Without too much convincing, and a few phone calls, I dropped my coyote off to have a full body mount done.

He was as fat as a hog, having spent the last month or so cleaning up after deer hunters, and living on an abundant supply of small game.

I think he was a 24 pound coyote, with ten pounds of food in his gut.
But he's still the best trophy I've ever taken.

Jim's place has been really good to me, in a short time, I got my first buck, my first traps, my first turkey, and now my first coyote, from there... in 51 weeks!

It's been a hell of a year.

There's too many people, to begin to thank all of you individually, for helping me get to this point.
I couldn't have done it without you.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 08:51 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Krusty! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 08:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Killer. It does provide a degree of satisfaction now, donut?

Good story! LB

edit: now where do we send our donations?

[ November 25, 2007, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 09:40 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Good read Krusty, congrats on the coyote kill..T.A.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 03:52 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
that is great Krusty; Great story and great success. Enjoy the memories.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 04:45 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your coyote!!!!

But....... Lemme get something straight......???

You hand carve calls that are noted for being as good as any on the market & better than most......and you use an Aussie Tin Whistle??????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 07:21 AM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Krusty man!! Now every stand you'll be on pins and needles.
Fun addiction!
Carl
Good= the yote
Bad= the rifle (as in 'bad ass' man)
Ugly=??? LOL

[ November 26, 2007, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Bofire ]

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 07:50 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli,

Have you ever tried one of those fox whistles?

They produce a perfect Estrus Chirp. I just didn't realize that the sound had a name until about a year ago!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 14 posted November 26, 2007 07:56 AM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey alright, thats super cool Kru..........Congrats. [Smile]
Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 09:05 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it is about time! [Cool] For your first kill AND the story! [Big Grin]

Congrats! [Big Grin]

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 11:41 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim; Yeah, I've got a couple of them. Results have been somewhat underwhelming.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 03:48 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty. Congratulations is to anemic a word for what you have accomplished. I am reminded of the four D's I had written on every bow I ever owned. Desire, determination, devotion, dedication. You Sir are the epitome of the four D's.

For those of us that through rocks. They are rolling back down the hill on our asses now.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 05:40 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Krusty!

It's been a long time comin.
And yeah what were you doin not callin with a krier.

Tim
Would that be a fox estrus chirp or coyote.
PM

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 06:45 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Krusty! Nice work.
Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 07:01 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, congratulations Krusty!

If anyone deserves their first coyote, it's you. Lord knows you've been through enough to get it.

All the failure up front sure makes success all the sweeter doesn't it?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 07:02 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I'm not sure a full sense of the satisfaction, I should feel, has sunk in yet.

As for the donations, I was waiting to see if we were going to get a second party to serve as "treasurer" and forward any and all funds directly to the taxidermist?

I'm not the one donating, so I am willing to do whatever necessary to satisfy those who are.

Kokopelli,

I have had my little tin whistle, for longer than I have had "hella mad skilz" as a call maker. [Big Grin]

You currently own more nice Krusty Kriers than I do, I have never kept a "good one" for myself.

I was making a sound, with the cadence of a puppy whine, when my coyote showed up.
To me the whistle has a great volume level, loud and shrill enough to cut the forest, without blasting or echoing too much.

Ronnie,

Congratulations is anemic, in the same way that "thank you" is.

I think I mostly had S's going for me...

Sarcasm, Stupidity, Self-pity, and Stubbornness.

I made it as far as I did, in spite of myself, and because I had encouragement and support.

I've made an ass, and a target, of myself in the past, and I usually got what I deserved for it.

One dead coyote, doesn't change that, or entitle me to any kind of apology.

If you can't count on your friends to smack you upside the head when you need it, you need new friends.

Me, I likes the ones I gots.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 07:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, works especially well on those rare, "coyfox".

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 08:21 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job relaying the story Krusty. Congrats on the success. Hope success breeds more success for ya.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 10:09 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Krusty! AWESOME!!! [Smile]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 14 posted November 26, 2007 11:05 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty... awesome story and awesome pics! Way to Go!!!

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
CindyTraps
Member # 1893

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 05:13 AM      Profile for CindyTraps   Email CindyTraps         Edit/Delete Post 
Great story and congratulations again! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Happy Trails

Posts: 113 | From: Seligman, Arizona | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 6 posted November 27, 2007 07:22 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a well deserved coyote! Im glad for ya Jeff.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 04:41 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Great job Krusty. You handled the whole sequence with the patience of a veteran with a thousand kills.

Lets get the address for the Stuffed Animal Fund set up. I need to get this off before the wife spends all of our money on Christmas.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
bowjunkie
Member # 887

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 09:45 PM      Profile for bowjunkie           Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Krusty [Big Grin]
Posts: 35 | From: the high mountians | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2007 05:46 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Krusty! Congrats!
Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters