The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » World Hunt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: World Hunt
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 06:18 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Who went? Leonard? Rich Higgins? Anybody?

How'd you guys fair? I have to live vicariously through others now that I can't go.

Somebody tell me a story.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 08:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to Rich last night. He didn't make it back and neither did we. He had rain, got stuck in a rental truck, pouring rain, after blowing the engine in his Bronco.

I had a lot of vehicle problems, snow/wind and suddenly, my area entire was devoid of coyotes.

So, you know what I'm thinking?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 11:00 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
after seeing Lance's post last week, I'm thinking that maybe Q and R.Shaw made a slight detour on thier way to Texas.........
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m kinda in the same boat. This is the second hand information that I have. Morris and Young finally repeated with 17 coyotes. Miller and Miller were second. Kevin gave me the rundown but is all I can for sure recount with any accuracy. I could be mistaken but it seems that he said that Eddie and his partner were in the top ten?

Leonard I can guess what you are thinking…probably had the same thoughts myself? One year we saw the evidence to back those thoughts up.

[ December 03, 2007, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Bryan J ]

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 05:05 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Was it Wiley talking about them aerial gunning a few of his areas a couple days before a hunt? Or... was it someone else?

Do you guys line up a bunch of private land to hunt or do you hunt the public areas?

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 05:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nevada must be close to 90% BLM?
edit: or refuge or Nat. Forest.

Without any tire tracks and sign all over the place, what else am I supposed to think? The entire valley was wiped out. There's no reason for it other than spending the budget money.

Good hunting. LB

[ December 03, 2007, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 05:49 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Coulda been them damn UFO's. Close to area 51?

That would be a shame if that is in fact what happened. The aerial gunning, I mean.
The UFO's would be hellified......

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 07:35 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to speculate if you don't actually know. And I obviously don't, I wasn't there. Maybe the rabbits all died off in that area. Maybe someone worked it hard trapping early this fall. And maybe it was aerial hunted. But in any case for me personally the times I have done poorly at a contest is because of lack of scouting time. Doesn't matter why the coyotes weren't there, just that they weren't, and you need the time to find groups of coyotes to go to. Regardless if they all died of mange or were shot out of a plane you can't kill them if they aren't there and enough scouting time will always tell you that. I don't know where you were Leonard and can't speak for or justify anyone elses program. I do know that here we don't just go fly because we want to. It is always at someones request. That may be the Game and Fish, a land owner, or in the case of BLM, the leesee. There was a county contest hunt here last weekend and I have put off flying in several areas that I knew were going to be hunted during that contest. They were areas that didn't need worked hard right now and I was glad to share that information with anyone that asked. It is better to make friends than enemies, and I had several guys call in the last couple weeks and want to know where we had worked hard and where we hadn't. Of course here it is mostly private land anyway, but most of the ranchers here let at least a team or two on them for this hunt.

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 08:11 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But in any case for me personally the times I have done poorly at a contest is because of lack of scouting time.
I agree, that is why Tyler and I spent several weekends scouting the Navajo *** and other areas of the state.
We finally settled on a long strip of the Gila River where we had called in 23 coyotes in four hours back in August.
We spent several days in there locating and GPS marking 31 stands. We spent all day Wed. howling along the route and we were absolutely confident that we were going to do very well in there. It is just north of an area that we called in 15 coyotes and killed 14 of those the previous year. We were ready.
Thursday morning the Bronco gave up.
We rented a pick up from U Haul which is just up the street. Didn't need 4WD for the hardpack farm roads we were going to hunt.
Fri morn we did one stand in a drizzle and brought a coyote in and then the deluge started.
Heavy rain and strong wind quickly flooded the area. We sank up to the frame mid morning and spent most of the day digging out enough to drive 4 or 5 feet and sink again. Mid afternoon I walked a couple of miles to a farm house and paid a young man to pull us out to the road with a tractor. By then the roads were slick and slimy and I almost slid off into a canal. We got to high ground and waited for the wind and rain to subside enough to at least make an effort. Finally I told Tyler that since there was no way to call a coyote into the truck that I was going to walk out a few yards into the wind and rain and blow a call. Tyler said "Good Luck" and went back to his nap.
I walked out 40 yards, backed into a mesquite, and standing up blew a series toward a thick wash less than a hundred yards away. A couple of minutes into the series a coyote walked in from the wash, head down, soaking wet, looking like a drowned rat. It was focused on my position until it stopped less than 10 yards out then turned it's head toward the truck, which was in full view. I brought the rifle up quick and smooth, like I've done many times before, and saw nothing in the scope except fog and rain drops. I let the coyote go.
We could see that the lower parts of the valley were flooded and we couldn't even see the roads. It was after dark when we finally made it to the freeway after some scary slipping and sliding, didn't want to spend the night out there.
We called our back up ranch up north but the manager told me that they were flooded also and it was still pouring down. We went home and slept in our own beds.
Cal, I scouted the Colorado ranch that we chose for St Francis last year. A blizzard dumped on us. Snow up to our hips. Ice closed down I40.
I'll be sure to properly scout for next years World Contest also. [Smile]

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 02:48 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, Don't bother, all the scouting in the world can't make up for just pure crappy luck. [Razz]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 02:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT ABOUT ME? MY TRUCK IS STILL IN THE SHOP?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 06:04 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! Sorry Leonard, sounds like your luck was crap also! I hate it when that stuff happens.

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 07:59 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
They were areas that didn't need worked hard right now and I was glad to share that information with anyone that asked.

That was a really nice gesture to the guys that hunted the area 3Toes. If there were more good guys like you out there they would have...
~Let Rich and Tyler know to never drive a Ford Bronco~
~Told them that there was an impending monsoon~
~And they certainly would have given Leonard the heads up on the inexplicable coyote disappearance phenomenon~

W/out bad luck... [Eek!]

KevinKKaller
Knows what it's all about
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 04:59 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all I just got home what a trip Bad wether rain and snow kept a bunch down and sorry to hear rich and lenord hade so so many problems.

First I would like to say it was great to finlly meet Cindy For those of you that havent met her you are really missing out!

The hole hunt was a blast
My Prtner is a great shot! . but the first stand out he missed the first coyote at 120 yards standig brod side. next 2 stands I killed coyotes garry stayed on his slump all day even missed a cat at 5 feet.
Saterday was so bad we almost had to pull the truck out with the 4 weeler
Tom Schmidt came in just in front of us with the same # of coyotes so it put Gary and I down to 20th place
Not as good as we should have been But I diddent cary a shot gun (Mine is Broaken) so I diddent shoot a 3 that ran over me that I couldent get stoped.
I ordered a new Bennelly so I will have it in Ks.

1stMorris-Young=17
2Miller-Miller=11
3Smith-Wright=10
4Wilkin-Young=9
5Carr-Seelkaff=9
6Cornett-Boardessa=8
7Bracken-Western=7
8Stinker-Tomkinsen=7
8 ?-?=7
9Eddy Hawkins-? cant remimber his name and I diddent wright it down=6

10th and 11th also had 6 dogs

Good Hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CindyTraps
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1893

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2007 12:54 PM      Profile for CindyTraps   Email CindyTraps         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everyone,
Kevin thanks for the kind words and in addition it was a pleasure getting to meet you although, I believe we have crossed paths before, even if it was only in passing. [Big Grin]

Here is some additional info for those that might be interested. There was a couple teams that you had in wrong place by one place but the numbers were correct.

1st Morris/Young 17
2nd Miller/Miller 11
3rd Smith/Wright 10
4th Carr/Seelkaff 9
5th Wilkin/Young 9
6th Cornett/Bordessa 8
7th Striker/TomLinson 7
8th Bracken/Western 7
9th Hawkins/Davis 6
10th Peterson/Peterson 6
11th Adams/Hustead 6
12th VanWinkle/Wedding 5
13th Steel/Steel 5
14th Countess/DeFrenchi 4
15th Willett/Willett 4

Additional Awards:
Predator Caller Year - Mike Kanapell
Father/Son Team - Le & Levi Puldermacher
Sportsman Year - Cookie Willett
Big Dog - Willett/ Willett @ 34lb 10oz
Little Dog - Vickers/Vickers @ 15lb 4oz

Donations @ 3 Charities:
Arizona Childrens Charities
Willett Memorial Fund
Utah Youth Hunt

Sponsors:
Mesa Gun Shop
AJI
Fox Pro
Sierra Bullets
Burris Optics
Redding
Write on Target
Pistol Parlor
Crit r' Call
Carlton Calls

A special thanks goes to:
Sultana Steak House/Williams, Arizona

There were 176 Coyotes checked in. Although there was some called in that never made it back to check in, again some of those teams would have plavced. A special congratulations and an additional THANKS goes to everyone that harvested coyotes. These dogs not only help the prey species but by dropping them off at the check in the glands were all removed from them and will be utilized by Arizona Trappers Association. These glands are made into lure in which is sold in quantity to a trap supply dealer. The proceeds from this lure is used to purchase a fur coat annually for
Miss Rodeo Arizona and presented at the Coronation Ceremony. This coat is then used in her competition in Las Vegas for
Miss Rodeo America.
Again thank you to all the coyote hunters for helping make this possible.
They wear these coats Proud!

and

1 Bobcat that was donated to
Arizona Trappers Association

Here are a couple pictures of the dogs all layed out for process. They are not great pictures as it was dark by the time we got them unloaded. In addition we had to move them out of the trailer and into a truck to get them to the barn. For those that were there or tried to get back the weather was horrible and you know. We got the trailer stuck in the driveway in the mud. About 5000 lbs of coyotes dont enable the trailer to move good in the conditions we were working in. [Eek!]

-

-

-

See you in Cortez,Colorado 2008

--------------------
Happy Trails

Posts: 113 | From: Seligman, Arizona | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters