The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » I hate crusty snow!!! It Sucks. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I hate crusty snow!!! It Sucks.
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I know, sucks what? Well, it sucks dried blood, scabby , mangy, coyote scrotums.

Man, I hate that stuff!!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2008 06:58 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny,

What do you do when the snow is crusty and really loud?

Do you bag it, or go calling anyways?

This week is the first time I ever hunted in deep snow (3-4 feet), and needed snowshoes.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 04:30 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya Brother... Crunch-a-matic snow sucks ass.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CindyTraps
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1893

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 05:43 AM      Profile for CindyTraps   Email CindyTraps         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the description only with mud! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Happy Trails

Posts: 113 | From: Seligman, Arizona | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 12:21 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave got it.

Let me clarify. At the St. Francis hunt, Andy and I were into coyote country bigtime. Atleast I believe Andy. You see, I hear about as good as a ...um...a fish. I can't hear coyote howls unless they are very very close. On the Hunt I heard many a coyote barking just as we set up a stand or in many cases the sedcond we finished the first series of distress.

We might walk 100 - 200 yards in the 8"-10" frozen snow. And as Andy put it, your partner could be 150 yards away, walking to the stand location, and you could hear your partner crunching snow like he was right next to you.

I might start the stand with a howl, he would immediatley follow up with another howl, and then we'd hear coyotes barking and yapping non-stop just over the ridge. Man, it was frustrating! I feel like walking into a stand with crunchy snow is about like singing your favorite songs at the top of your lungs on the way to your stand. [Mad]

--------------------

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 12:27 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
oops. I forgot to answer Krusty. I wish I knew the answer and maybe some of the really smart guys here have an answer. We continued to hunt because we were in the contest, but after all day of abuse and Saturday morning the same, we called it quits a bit early because we got soooo tired of getting busted.

It really is frustating. Furthermore, we heard (Andy heard) lots and lots of howling going on but nothing wanted to respond those 2 days. Freaky thing really. Its like the coyotes were on a nationally known holiday for coyotes or something. They flat out just had no interest in coming to the call that day.

I suppose some of the better howler guys would have hunted the coyotes differently and may have had some success. But Andy and I just must suck ... poop holes or something! [Eek!] [Smile]

--------------------

KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 01:29 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Loco did you get the photos?
Gary and I felt your Pain as well We had lots of crunchy snow phesent hunters and hard times as well I was glad that we called 1 Killed 1 in the country we chose to hunt.
Just diddent get the responce we wear hoping for.
But on the bright side Gary shot 100%.
It was still a blast.
I am going to Nev. Fri to hunt the the Nev state Champs with a new frend. I understand the snow is about the same thear as it was in Ks. Just hope we make a desent showing.
Good Hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 04:30 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,
Didn't you recently coordinate a hunt? How did it go?

I got the photos but I couldn't get imagestation to upload the picts. I'll try another server. [Smile]

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 06:08 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Loco, what you need to do to half deal with the crunchy snow is heel toe it, step drag or walk on the outside edges of your boots. Wearing ice skates sometimes helps.
In crunchy snow I use my monopod in sequence with my steps to sound somewhat three legged rather than two. Also, instead of calling one minute after sitting or standing in position I wait five or so and then call.

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 06:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems so obvious. Stay out of the crusty snow.

You are welcome. LB [Smile]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 06:43 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Smithers, there was no heal to toe to it. The shit was a foot deep, more or less, in most places and had a two inch crust on top. Most of the time you got about half your weight on it and busted thru to the ground.

It sucked (green donkey dicks).

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 07:04 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
No heel toeing? Geez, you guys must not wear high enough heels then. [Razz]
That scenario certainly sucks several items.

Three ways of going about it.
One: freight train it in.
Two: slow, agonizing and protracted.
Three: stay at the lodge, as LB suggests, and slam some scotch.

IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 07:44 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the answers.

I just "herd of elephants'ed" my way in, and actually called a coyote.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 11:28 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Normally; The best way to deal with the 'crunchy crap' is to change the cadence of your steps, start and stop, & slow down. Try to pass yourself as a deer ambling along. Works best in cover.

Next best option; Walk in busting trail to all of your stands, return to lodge to sip martinies, then come back the next day to hunt.

However, when it's waist deep & crunchy; the best thing to do would be to fly into McNeil InterNational Airport, have the Limo Service drop you off at Tim's place and beg him to take you hunting.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 05:56 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
if the snow is a foot thick,with two inches of crust. snow shoes is the answer. Then you won't bust through. Use wooden ones as the metal ones made from tube have a ring to them.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 10:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I already told danny what I would do, and have done, but you need a california rig.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 11:53 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Leon',

I would love to try that sometime. Sure wish I had an opportunity to try it sometime. If I only had someone willing to teach me, hands on. Heck, if I had one and knew how to use it, I'm sure I would use it all the time.

I've learned over the years that if you hint at wanting something over the internet, you sometimes get what you want...You know like a child spying the other little kid with a lollipop and saying, "Oooo that sure looks yummy!!!" I'm shameless; I know. [Wink]

[ January 17, 2008, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 01:33 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, do you know anyone with a California rigged turret?
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 02:02 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Loco I put on the Id state Champs this last weekend. Had a great time. I did not get to hunt just had to much to do.
We paid 3 plases First had 9 coyotes 2nd and 3rd had 5 coyotes each 2nd beat 3rd by 3 lbs.

I gave away lots of door prizes and a nef 204 to one lucky winner.

well I am leaving for Nv tomarrow am to hunt thear state champ I will let you know how well we do. I have never hunted in the area my new pard is taking me too and have never hunted with Matt so it should be a fun weekend.
Good Hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 03:52 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
We tried snowshoes, those busted thru enough of the time to make it even harder...

It was just a bitch (wolf) all the way around.

--------------------
Andy

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 04:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, you need to have Danny break trail in front of you. Why should you do all the hard work? It's always easier and quieter to have two people tandem on crusty snow.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 05:49 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Never tried them hunting, but I wonder if cross country skis would work?

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 05:54 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
We talked about it later. The only thing I could think of that may have picked up a couple coyotes, and I do mean just a couple, would have been if after we quit calling, one got up and left and the other stayed and waited quietly. There were a couple of times Im sure coyotes came in after they heard us crunch our butts out of there. There were just too many screw you barks and howls going on.

That is unless they can count too...

--------------------
Andy

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 06:28 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL It seems like a lot of work but cross country skis just might work! LOL

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2008 02:36 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
It's too steep where I'm at, for cross country skis, in fact it's too steep for most traditional snowshoes.

The ones I use are the plastic MSR mountaineering type, and as loud as walking on plastic lids from five gallon buckets.

Despite that fact I called a coyote not very many minutes after sitting down, this morning.

I'm stepping over the top wire of the barb wire fences (sometimes just the top of the posts), on a thin crust on top. I made the mistake of stepping out to get my e-caller speaker today, from the spot I stomped down to sit in, and sunk up to my hip.

My shooting skills need some serious improvement, but I am having the best calling days of my life!

I'll be back, with stories, in a day or three.

Krusty  -

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters