The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Rabid skunks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rabid skunks
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 07:17 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
For the second time in about 6 months I shot a damn rabid skunk in my yard last night. I'll send this one in for testing, but it acted just like the last one. There have been several in the county lately. It will definately make you make sure that you keep up on your pet vaccinations. I'm vaccinated for it also, but they wouldn't give me a tag [Wink] . But what a mess, of course he sprayed all over and then I had to remove the head for testing and I'll have to check my dogs over for possible bites and hopefully won't have to quaranteen anyone. I hate them. All skunks should be shot on sight! Do not let one walk under any circumstances.

[ April 05, 2008, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 07:32 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks.

We've never had a big problem with skunks in this part of the world, it's always been the raccoons. The worst I ever saw it was somewhere in the mid 70s'. There were sick coons wandering all over the place in daylight that summer.

Everybody killed everything they saw stumbling around like that. Sad to watch but had to be done. Sad because I was trapping at the time and $35 was
pretty common for a good sized coon.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doug
Knows what it's all about
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 04:51 PM      Profile for Doug           Edit/Delete Post 
I kill every skunk I see. If you ever baled one up sleeping in the hay row I bet you would too. [Wink]

Cal you should take a look at the Nite Lite mail order catalog when you need rabies or other vaccines for your dogs. Prices are very reasonable if you have a few dogs.
Doug

http://www.huntsmart.com/

[ April 07, 2008, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Doug ]

--------------------
My mountain cur thinks I'm God.

Posts: 69 | From: Northern Colorado | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 05:39 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I give my dogs all their shots except for rabies because my state doesn't recognize a sales receipt as legal documentation that the vaccine was given. (Has to be signed by a DVM) But I agree - their prices are very reasonable.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 06:32 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I like skunks. I think they are beautiful little creatures who have just gotten a bad reputation over their ability to raise one hell of a stink. ( Personally their odor doesn't bother me, I've always kind of liked it )

How ever I do understand the ramifications of rabies, and I do understand that Skunks are the one animal in North America who can Live to an old age, while being a carrier of the virus, yet never be affected by it or display any symptoms. All of the while transmitting it to any other mammal that they come into contact with.

Therefore I personally kill every skunk that I find with in a mile of my house. Their benefits don't outweigh the hazards associated with them possibly mixing with my dogs or family.

Rabies is the only good thing that I can find about the Opossum. As the typical 'possum has a body temperature just one or two degrees lower than the rabies virus needs to survive. Therefore it is a rare 'possum that will ever be found with the virus. ( It does happen, but it is very rare )

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 06:56 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats intersting Tim, I didn't know that about possums. We don't have them here historically, but they did have one show up in a small town just south of me this winter. I assume he caught a ride up on a truck or something. I don't mind the smell of a skunk much either. Pretty much just used to it. I deal with them fairly often in my job and get a good dose of spray regularly, and several lures that I use are fairly well laced with the stuff.

It's the same here for the rabies shot CDog, if you don't have a vet give it, the state doesn't recognize it. I did have to vaccinate my coyote myself though, no vets will touch it since it's not a domesticated animal. It is legal for me to have it, but it is still not considered a pet.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 07:15 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
We try to keep the skunks thinned out here also. The smell is'nt that badd just takes a little getting used to, after a couple hits its no big deal.
I take my dogs in once a year for shots, the vet puts it in his records and also gives me a shot record card which i need for hunting in S.D. and i also recieve a tag with the vets number on it. If the dog runs off and bites someone all they have to do is call in the number and a shot record canbe sent to them..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5082 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 07:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, shoot the skunks.

Help your neighbor, Tim. Since you don't mind the smell? I guess Vic don't either, but Dorthee does, and that's reason enough to order him under the house for close quarters combat. Actually, I don't mind the smell either. It's like new mown hay or wet sage or the smell of water in the desert. It's just one of those smells (among many) that goes with the territory. If it is in a confined space, I can attest that it will make you sick.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
happy trapper
Member # 1016

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2008 10:52 PM      Profile for happy trapper           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that You pull the hide off the little stinker. The only problem is when you pull the hide off cut the tail off and pull the bone out after. They do not sell for much at the auction but they sure make nice looking mits.
Posts: 17 | From: margo sk. | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2008 06:12 AM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
At my last house there was a bunch of skunks. They made a mess outta my trash and my dogs went bananas when the skunks came into the yard.

My place was in a residential area so I would use .22 shorts in a bolt action to kill them.

I would wait till they are in plain view and go out and shine my surefire directly in their eyes and then blast them in the face. Most let loose a couple minutes after I shot them a couple did not at all. I would wait till morning and go scoup them up with a shovel and throw them over the fence into the woods.

The smell lasted for a while sometimes.

Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2008 11:12 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
My skunk problem is resolved. I employed the services of Tims son, to wage war on the offending skunk.
He was of course successful, being the son of a master crittergitter. The skunk had assumed room temperature a few weeks before its extraction,and turned out to be a stinking mummy. Allis well on the home front, Dorothee is happy....and of course, if mommas happy; everybody is happy!

Posts: 1630 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2008 11:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Great News! Now, we need your input on campout date(s). Also, sorry I misspelled Dorothee, it was just a guess?

Good hunting. LB

PS be sure and utilize that pelt for a snazzy mountain man hat. Use a little Febreeze under the house, no problemo!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

happy trapper
Member # 1016

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2008 09:37 PM      Profile for happy trapper           Edit/Delete Post 
You can use a live trap to catch them & either exhaust them or use a 22CB short & shoot it in the chest. Usualy they do not stink much if any.

Hey Lenard I could get one made & get my hunting buddy to get it to you.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2008 10:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh Oh, That sounds like a clue! Have we met and is Albert your hunting partner?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

happy trapper
Member # 1016

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2008 10:28 PM      Profile for happy trapper           Edit/Delete Post 
LB that could be right.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2008 11:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, this is Happy Trapper? We had dinner together, my last night up there? Bet you didn't know I had this pic of you with your wolf?

-

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2008 05:21 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
No Leonard you have the wrong guy you have never met the happy trapper. The fellow you met was from Elstow(Rob). About 30 minutes from Saskatoon. Floyd lives about 150 miles east of Sakatoon.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2008 08:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know you are quite the celebrity coyote hunter up there, but I didn't realize how many hunting partners you have? Oh well, mistakes will happen; Cie la vie.

Good hunting. LB

edit: I suppose I don't get my skunk hat, then?

[ April 12, 2008, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

happy trapper
Member # 1016

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2008 10:27 PM      Profile for happy trapper           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard I thought you wanted a pair of mitts. A friend of mine needs six skunks for mitts & he has a hard time to get enough of them. I will need time to get the little stinkers.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted April 16, 2008 12:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take whatever's easiest, HT, and be grateful for it.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters