The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Cold weather and big diesels ,

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold weather and big diesels ,
George Ackley
Knows what it's all about
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 01:46 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you guys putting anything in your fuel ? if so, what. my old 7.3 is needing to be plugged in every night now and it only in the teens... if your using additives and they are working can you let me in on it,

thanks
George

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 04:20 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
George, the biggest thing I can tell you is replace the Mitsubishi starter with a Nippondenso and you can almost unplug your glow plugs. They will start if you spin them fast enough and the factory units just barely get it done from the start.

Of course good batteries and cables must be present...

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 04:28 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
I am starting to think i am having a glow plug issue,,,

i will look into the starter though thanks

Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 04:59 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
When I had a Ford diesel in 2000, I was warned by a service tech about letting the glow plugs work before starting the motor. Something about them getting a glaze on the plug that cost a bunch to fix, as in new plugs. He said the plug needs to run full term to minimize the glaze over.
IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 05:11 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
The best advice is to stay away from the Fords and get a Dodge with a Cummins. I've started mine at -15 without plugging it in. I had 2 Ford powerjokes and they wouldn't even think about starting that cold. But of course you give up a little in the ride and room. Anybody know the difference between a Jehovas witness and a Dodge?

After 2 years, you can still shut the door on a Jehova.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 10, 2009 05:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ford? Are they legal in cold weather?

Good hunting. LB

edit: Cal, one of your partners told me that you never run your truck above 55 MPH? Any truth to that? And, is it your choice, or it can't go faster?

[ January 10, 2009, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 05:29 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hunted 3 day out of a new power wagon,, nice trucks , not a ford by any means but nice truck, thinking of getting my wife one [Big Grin]
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 07:21 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no speedball I guess. Always looking off in the toolies for a possible drive by shooting! [Wink]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 07:29 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
George, I pictured you rolling around in one of those old VW Rabbit Diesel Pickups. [Big Grin]
IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2009 06:20 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
If the problem of hard cold starting is getting worse, your glow plug relay may be about to crap out on ya. I seem to have to change that relay about every other year.
On the my 01', the glow plugs stay "on" even if the truck starts, until a heat sensor tells them to shut off. They don't go off when the little light in the dash goes off. Try to let the truck sit for a longer peroid of time before cranking, with the key on, to let the plugs do their job for a longer peroid. Might help.
I also run synthetic oils in the winter, a thinner oil will help cure some of the hard cold starting issues.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2009 07:07 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Never had any trouble with cold starts with either of my Dodge CTD's either. They don't use glow plugs though. Grid heaters. Much mo betta, I think (been stuck an extra day and night in an elk camp with a non cold starting Ford).

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2009 07:33 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
George, I pictured you rolling around in one of those old VW Rabbit Diesel Pickups.
smithers,,

I only roll in my VW in the summer time when i am out picking up chicks at the beach

KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2009 04:10 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
George that is not a BIG diesel! LOL
Hear in Idaho I do run an adative but to keep the fuel from jelling!
Lots of info you are not telling hear but a good repair shop can diagnose your problem fast and give you a $ amount to repair
I have seen more fords with glow plug problems than any for starting. Starters and battarys comes in a close second.
I run a old 96 dodge with over 200k miles and it starts up like clock work at -20 deg
Have you ever tuned it up (New inj Glowplugs Had the electronics checked is it throwing coeds How many miles what kind of oil) All plays into the snap shot
Good Luck
I work on 14 and 16 leter mack and volvos evry day Thay are big diesels for the road
Good Hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2009 05:20 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Have dealt with diesels in tractors,semi and pickup all my life..presently have 14 diesel powered tractors or trucks.
Blended diesel fuel is best,but such additives as power service and Howes's all typically used by over the roads trucks work well but must be blended as filling tank.Diesels must crank at 400 rpm or more to start.Glow plugs help raise the compression but don't do much for gelled fuel.Your 7.3 should have fuel heaters in the fuel filter bowl so that helps some.Some diesels have a "cold glow" while cranking,but I am not sure the 7.3 does.
It is best to plug in at exptremely low temps to save wear on your engine. John Deere says to pull the dipstick on a cold engine and if the oil does not drop off at one drip per second ,then the oil is to thick to properly lubricate the engine on start up and should be avoided if possible.If you have to start and get the engine going under these conditions then be sure to let it warm up before you ask anything of it.I have two 7.3 and have started them down to 0 degrees although not by choice.The newer trucks may start easier but it is mainly due to a whole different high pressure injection system. The bearings will still suffer from starting them extremely cold even if they start well.In aircraft a rule of thumb used to be each cold start is equal to 4 to five hours of normal engine wear.
If you are not getting a good spin rpm, check your batteries. Once below freezing batteries loose crank capacity very quickly and if the batteries are marginal it is only aggravated.I would load test the batteries before spending any money at a shop. Make sure they use a carbon pile load tester so a good test is done. Not one of those mickey mouse handheld jobs.If you batteries are getting some age on them they may be suspect.Watch your voltage gauge as cranking and see how quickly it drops voltage as cranking also is a simple but sometimes useful idea.Another idea is to pull the batteries over night and keep them in the house,intall them warm and then try a start.A real pain in the butt although it can be quite revealing and is free.
You may be able to go to a auto parts store and run a code reader to see if any of the codes indicate a glowplug or controller problem before going to a shop. Many parts stores will do it for free.The 7.3 may be harder starting than others but they are a proven engine that has longevity many of the newer engines will never reach.My god this is too long.

[ January 14, 2009, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: 6mm284 ]

Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2009 05:40 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
6mm,
What oil weights do you recommend for winter??

I have one of the newer 6.7 cummins and like you said its easier to start when its cold compared to my old 5.9. I plug the thing in anytime its colder than 25-30 degrees and understand that my truck has a heater grid and not glow plugs. I also know my truck circulates the coolant in the motor.

That does not help with the oil though. You just got me thinking about about the whole oil thing. Other than that it doest seem to hard on my truck when she is started. Also do you think high idle will hurt the motor on the single digit to below zero mornings?

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2009 04:38 PM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
I use 15w40 in the pickup in winter but it is kept in a warm garage. . The best quide is your manual which will specify temperature ranges for different viscosity oils .Recommendations are different from one make to another and for models over time due to changes in engine design lubricants and metallurgy.I don't like an engine to go to high idle immediately if it is 2 cold . However the computer will set idle speed and not much you can do about it sometimes.
Warm coolants do help since the warmth of the block will thin the oil.. also some diesels have an oil cooler which will circulate warm coolant thru some of the oil that warms it slightly althought the system is actually meant to cool the oil when running.Thermostatic valve controls this in some engines so I don't know enought to say what your engine does.On my ford pickup when you plug in you also heat on element on the oil filter housing for whatever it may help. Many others may be the same.

[ January 14, 2009, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: 6mm284 ]

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2009 08:45 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
edit: because my lame joke about gas being cheap embarrassed myself [Roll Eyes]

[ January 14, 2009, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2009 05:38 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
I run 15w40 all year long. I take owners manuals with a grain of salt. Just wondered if you had another preference.

It was 1 degree out this morning when I started up. Starts fine and idles up after two or three minutes. With the block heater the engine/coolant temp is usually around 100 degrees when I start it up. So no real issues with starting. Just looking on ways to cut tear and wear on cold mornings. I will have to keep this truck till it dies.

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2009 03:05 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys mt computer took a dive on me ,,,
whent and got a new one today ,computor that is [Big Grin]

thanks for the replys,, i do run 15/40
and she starts fine as long as she is plugged in

i am going to get it put on a computer to see what it tells me

i have 200,000 on her.
new batteries
new belt
new fuel filleter
and i run feul with winter additive
and on the last full up i put about 24oz's of additive in it with 35gal of feul

i will see what the diagnostic test tell me

thanks again sorry about not getting back to yea sooner..

6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2009 06:01 PM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Patterson, I know what you mean of owners manuals,however many manufacturers recommendations are very good and based on testing and they do know what will be best for their engines.Don't think one can go wrong with 15w 40 except if in an extremely and consistently cold climate.
George, I see your pickup has 200 000 miles on it. While that is not a lot of miles for a good well maintained engine, it probably does not have the compression it had at one time and might require a little bit of special consideration for those cold starts that maybe did not use to be necessary.This does not mean it is worn out by any means. I have tractors that have behaved like this for years but are still running great, just a little harder to start than they used to be.
If you run out of options,don't assume new batteries are always good, I have had many new batteries that are not up to snuff out of the box and caused me to look for the problem in lots of wrong places.Sometimes I will have the batteries load tested before they are ever installed.Good luck.

[ January 15, 2009, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: 6mm284 ]

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2009 07:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The company i work for uses 15-40 CAT oil in its engines dureing the summer month's but switches to a lighter oil come winter.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5081 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters